Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii! Mrs. Stuck In Kansas and I just finished watching all three seasons of Downton Abbey! Gah! Can't BELIEVE they ended it that way! By the way, what's up with the ludicrous politics treating your marriage where y'all live? I'm rooting for you guys.

I have about three episodes left in season three. Something bad just happened and I know there's more bad stuff ahead. It's such a simple show, but there's just something about it that's awesome.

I tried to explain it to my husband but he didn't get it.

My husband and I have a court date for next month. Apparently, I don't have to go and our lawyers will just speak on our behalves, but we'll see if that changes anytime soon. Hopefully, in a month I'll be an actual married lady :)

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
12 year olds can be 5'2". That person has no idea what they're talking about. Hell, my nephew is 11 and 5'0". I'm 5'3", so he's just three inches shorter than me, and then my niece is five inches shorter than me, two inches shorter than him, and she's 9.

:tongue Maybe the person who said that 12 year olds are under 4'5" was that height at 12.

Yeah, probably.

My daughter was 5'2" at 12 years old. My son is 12 and he's 5 feet tall now (but is bound to shoot up soon, since boys get their growth spurt later than girls, and my hubby is 6'4").

So that person is misinformed.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
Yeah, probably.

My daughter was 5'2" at 12 years old. My son is 12 and he's 5 feet tall now (but is bound to shoot up soon, since boys get their growth spurt later than girls, and my hubby is 6'4").

So that person is misinformed.

I'm not ready for my nephew and niece to get taller than me. Right now, besides them, I'm the shortest of my family. Everyone else seem to have gotten my mom's genes (everyone on her side of the family is 5'6" and up).

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Kansas! I'm making progress on Stupid Cupid - I'm hoping to hit 10K at some point today!

Also, last night, I came up with an idea for a sequel...

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
The NYT Best Seller, Cora Carmack. And the Grammy Award Winner, Delious Kennedy (All4One). ;)

Very cool and exciting!

Kansas, that is soooooo funny 'cause just yesterday I flipped on the TV to my old soaps (Young and the Restless and Bold and the Beautiful) and found that I was able to fall right back into the story lines because dang it, it's always a repeat of the SAME. OLD. STORY. LINES. Except now the added drama is with the kids of everyone. ;) ETA: And how much do I love that you watch soap operas and aren't afraid to admit it? Very, very much.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, gots to pimp my girl Dee J. Stone's YA book, No Ordinary Hero (actually it's written by her and her twin sister). It's a really fun read if you like superheroes, and books told from a male pov, and a group of boys who have an awesome relationship similar to that of the boys in JG's P@pertowns, and action and angst, and romance. It's free today on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6LP8GS/?tag=absowrit-20

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Hey guys, gots to pimp my girl Dee J. Stone's YA book, No Ordinary Hero (actually it's written by her and her twin sister). It's a really fun read if you like superheroes, and books told from a male pov, and a group of boys who have an awesome relationship similar to that of the boys in JG's P@pertowns, and action and angst, and romance. It's free today on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6LP8GS/?tag=absowrit-20

Sounds cool!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
So, I hit 40K on my first draft yesterday. Judging by my plot and character arcs, I'm guessing I'll wind up around the 60K range. Still a little on the light side, perhaps, but I'm ok with that.

More importantly, I pushed through the saggy middle! WooHoo!

ETA: How cool, Dorothy!

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Hello all!

I'm nursing a hangover this morning--hung out with a great friend of mine who was in town for an overnight and somehow she drank the vodka and left me with the entire bottle of wine on an empty stomach. But after about a litre each of water and coffee, I think I'm going to survive. :coffee:

Dorothy, that is awesome about your FB page. I need to come friend you. I'll do that today. I'm still trying to figure out using FB to connect to other authors--I've traditionally used FB as the place where I work with only people I know in person or a couple of people I know from the web but I would know in person if there weren't thousands of miles between us. But I know not everyone uses it that way and I think I could get more out of it than I do.

(Funnily enough, this sort of thing--expectations about what different kinds of social media mean--is exactly what I'm teaching this week.)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever come across a piece of prose written in tweets? I'm doing a "Twitter short story" for uni. I was thinking of doing a real Twitter account for the character and doing it from there, but I'm worried about finding time to tweet, with everything else I want and need to do. So I'm thinking of just doing it in Word, but I don't know how to format it all.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, sweets. Absolutely. And I know how you feel. I have been so sick the past couple of days. I honestly don't know if I'm fighting some sort of stomach virus or my belly ache is a result of horrible nervous knots. I hate querying so very much and yet...I keep doing it. :D I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. It's kinda like every time you play Lotto. You think, this could be the one. Maybe this time. And then you start dreaming about what you'll do if it happens, and make all these imaginary plans of doing the happy dance and thinking about who to call first and what you'll do to celebrate and then...yeah. Then reality slaps you in the face because you remember all those other times you played and didn't win. Sigh. LOL

Um, yeah. I'm having that exact stomach thing too, so probably not a virus for either of us. Blech.

Last night I got 3 rejections in a row -- 2 form Rs from agents and 1 from a job interview that didn't pan out :( Sorry I've been quiet on this end...I just feel like I don't have a lot to contribute since I'm not really writing and just querying (QUERY HELL MEMBERS, UNITE!!) and doing a loooot of reading.

Ohhh, bummer. I'm so sorry to hear about your rejections. Hope you get some requests to balance them out :) And the fact that you made it to the interview stage is at least a very good sign that you're close.

I'm forcing myself to write a new short piece every day this week -- it can be really short and totally crappy as long as it's something completely new. Am hoping it'll take my mind off the crippling self-doubt and maybe I'll end up with a short story to submit or a new book idea. At any rate, it feels good to work on fresh stuff after spending so long on one single project.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
So, I hit 40K on my first draft yesterday. Judging by my plot and character arcs, I'm guessing I'll wind up around the 60K range. Still a little on the light side, perhaps, but I'm ok with that.

ETA: How cool, Dorothy!

That's awesome! Middle's definitely the hardest part. And, depending upon the genre, 60,000-ish words sounds fine. I got requests on a manuscript that was in that range, albeit no offers (so maybe I just negated my own point hehe). Best of luck with the final stretch!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! That was pretty dang funny, Netz. So. Is it just me, or are the characters "downstairs" much more compelling than the Entitled? For some reason, I find Thomas the most fascinating of them all. (And Carson, Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. O'Brian, Mrs....um, can't remember the cook's name right now, etc.).

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I like them in equal measures (but Maggie Smith tends to have the best lines, lol!). Thomas is the baddie we all love to hate, and Mrs Patmore is the name of the cook.

I wonder how long it took the guy to put the video together.

Freyja

Registered
Reaction score
The NYT Best Seller, Cora Carmack. And the Grammy Award Winner, Delious Kennedy (All4One). ;)
That's awesome!!!! Very cool.

Yay!!

I've heard a lot of good things about Downton Abbey, but have never watched it. Speaking of TV... Can't wait for season 3 of Game of Thrones. Just over a month left!

Anyone else watching the Oscars tonight?

Have a great Sunday y'all!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Netz! Do you really hate Thomas? I always love bad guys who show a semblance of humanity and he does at times. I find his story compelling. I shouldn't, but I root for the guy. It's kinda' why I like writing about evil people, as long as they have SOME sorta' redeeming quality. Writing evil's fun! I've saved several of my villains from death because I ended up liking 'em. In an adult thriller I wrote, I'd like to think I made a totally heinous serial killer likable by the end. It's complicated.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Netz! Do you really hate Thomas? I always love bad guys who show a semblance of humanity and he does at times. I find his story compelling. I shouldn't, but I root for the guy. It's kinda' why I like writing about evil people, as long as they have SOME sorta' redeeming quality. Writing evil's fun! I've saved several of my villains from death because I ended up liking 'em. In an adult thriller I wrote, I'd like to think I made a totally heinous serial killer likable by the end. It's complicated.

I thought he was very unpleasant in the first two series, but his storyline in the last series drew my sympathy. :)

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Is there a chance I might be able to just sell this thing as general fiction? Here we go, genre fiction not otherwise specified.

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Is it strange to write parts of WIPs by hand, esp. if you're not concerned about word count? I'm thinking of buying a notebook for that purpose, as well as using my phone sometimes if I'm on a new scene.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I actually do that myself, so I say roll out the notebook paper.:D

Also, why did the litfic writer call the genre fic writer Brutus? Because he was obsessed with plot.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I mean #fantasysideproject is entirely by hand, but sometimes I'd like to work on main projects by hand. I have no idea why, though.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
For me it helps me turn off my inner editor, and focus entirely on my own thought. I think KM Weiland is much the same way too. Not sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.