Well, I jumped in the deep end...

Status
Not open for further replies.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXS3NUW/?tag=absowrit-20 and I am now simply waiting for a splash.
I've been a member for quite a while, shelved my story completely and tossed it aside at one point, until later on I dug it back out and re-wrote it. This is the fourth time I wrote that story.
I've also realized that, as a writer, I don't think we're ever completely and finally happy, always changing for changes sake at times.
It was fun, and now, after I finish the process of formatting for paperback, I can start working on book two...

jimmymc

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you finished it... I read the 'see inside' part on Amazon and I think it is good. Might even purchase for my next read.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate the comments and glad you like the see inside. All I have to do now is thank the forum members. I've learned a lot by browsing and reading the myriad topics here.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's only been day one, not even truly 24 hours yet, and I have accumulated two sales. Looks like that Maserati I have my eye on may be put on hold for a bit.
What I used to write the story was Scrivener, which I think is a phenomenal writing program once you figure out how to print it up.
The cover art was done by a lady I found on Fiverr, and I paid about $50.00 total for it, and she did, in my opinion, a fantastic job. The lady on the cover is a friend of mine who let another friend turn her into a zombie with lots of latex and goo, and took about three hours total for the photo shoot we did. And yes, that photo was taken with my cell phones camera because I didn't want a sharp image, but a bit of haze to it.
But truthfully, whether I sell two copies or twenty thousand I am happy right now. I wrote a book of about 60,000 words, rewrote it and got it exactly where I wanted it to be.
Regardless of number of sales, I am going to continue with the series, because it is a fun story to me and I've had a ball with it.
It's nerve wracking the first time you hit that 'publish' button on Amazon. You're tossing your words out there for the world to see.
But at the same time, it's kind of liberating. How many times have we heard someone say 'I could write a book'?
It tends to be a lot more work than most people think.
Once again many thanks to the forum for a lot of insight and learning. I'm doing very well by not checking the sales report every thirty minutes (I actually only checked it a few moments ago!) because I don't want to fall into that trap.
Have fun, cyber friends, and keep writing. I will.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!!! Best wishes and look forward to reading about your successes!

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Congratulations!

A quick tip...I have found doing a giveaway on librarything an inexpensive way to get a little exposure and a few reviews. It's best to giveaway about 100 copies to keep you near the top of the page.

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Currently finishing up the Createspace formatting and printing requirements. I've also went and uploaded it to Smashwords to get it in a few different markets. We'll see how it goes.
And thanks to all for the good wishes!!

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Got my paperback proofs in today. Gave three to my cover model, make up artist and wife. The gentleman that sits behind me at work is reading my proof copy, and have received 35 orders for the paperback at work!!! I am happy right now.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Got my paperback proofs in today. Gave three to my cover model, make up artist and wife. The gentleman that sits behind me at work is reading my proof copy, and have received 35 orders for the paperback at work!!! I am happy right now.

Whoa, very nice! 35 orders for physical copies is a great start. Congrats!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Best of luck with it, Benluby, and congratulations!

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Online is slower than snot in winter right now with a grand total of four ebooks sold, but reality is it is in a genre that has me buried deep on a list.
When I launch my facebook sale I expect still more paperback sales, but the ebook may be rather slow until after book two is completed, at which time I am going to launch book two with a one week free giveaway of book one.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck to you, b.l., in your self-publishing endeavor.

Thanks Norman. I'm currently sitting in the living room watching my wife read the proof copy. This is a nerve wracking event, because she's a picky reader and I have seen her toss books in ten pages because she didn't like them.
She pretty much has been reading all night and is actually almost done, which I take as a good sign.
Tomorrow I get to start the journey on book two further down the road. I don't expect to be able to retire off a zombie series, but I am having fun writing it.

SunshineonMe

Registered
Reaction score
Scary cover! Good job! Did you plug in the keywords amazon suggests? That will help your book find it's "niche" and get it some more visibility.

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on getting your book out there, and it sounds like it's doing well. Keep it up! :)

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Current status of HEL, Godsmacked is as follows: I sold fifty five paperback copies at work. I've sold a dozen ebooks, and finally decided I need to actually get busy advertising it, so I have a three day giveaway going on.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500519065/?tag=absowrit-20
It just started about an hour ago, and I've already had 30 downloads, as well as getting another dozen orders for the paperback from work. I'm pushing it on facebook as well as having tweeted it to see if that garners some interest. Marketing, obviously, isn't my strong suit.
I've been getting nothing but good feedback on it so far, with a few minor points that people I know have made about what they said are errors that they saw.
Hopefully this will garner some reviews and we'll see where it goes from there.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update on the situation. Book two is in the final stages right now. I sold about 100 paperback copies of book one, and about three hundred ebooks, as well as I don't know how many free downloads due to that borrow thing Amazon has.
I pulled down all the other publishing venues I had it on after they became a PITA, and just left it alone on Amazon.

Here are two of the three reviews I got. And no, I don't know who they are.

normally not a huge fan of the genre...pleasantly surprised!

And... my favorite review.

If you like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain then maybe this book isn't for you. However if the phrase "they are coming to get you Barbara " reminds you of a classic movie then you need to read this book. Mr. Hoover's fresh take on this classic horror genera makes my second reading as pleasurable as the first. I look forward to reading more from this author.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
HEL Armageddon Knights

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500519065/?tag=absowrit-20 is now a free ebook until Friday night, to try and get some more interest in it. Had quite a few sales and downloads, but reviews seem to be like hens teeth. So... this giveaway was done solely as an attempt to get more views and some reviews, because...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1515194949/?tag=absowrit-20

Is now out as well. I'm excited about finishing the second book in the series, and the cover on this one just, to me, rocks!! I apologize for my prolonged absence, but I was moving, changed jobs and trying to get this done all sort of took up my free time. Now I am going to take a week and begin studying up on techniques to get the books more noticed than they are at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.