R.I.P., Tim Hauser of the Manhattan Transfer

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://jazztimes.com/articles/143902-tim-hauser-co-founder-of-the-manhattan-transfer-dead-at-72

I've been a HYOOOOOOOGE fan of theirs since their short-lived variety series on TV. I remember I wanted a boom box for my 16th birthday but changed my mind when I saw they were coming to town and asked for tickets to their show instead. I saw them again a few years ago at a local jazz club, playing a stripped-down set with a traditional combo instead of a full orchestra behind them. It was such a treat to see them in both formats; they thrilled me with their vocal stylings and cool attitude the second time as much as the first.

Godspeed, Mr. Hauser. Many thanks for such a wonderful world of music you and your mates introduced me to.

ETA: the group will continue their current tour in tribute.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Larry Blamire is a wonderful filmmaker, doing spot-on parodies of the B- and Z-grade monster movies of the 50's and 60's (his breakout smash, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavara, was even filmed in the hills and valleys outside of Los Angeles where many classics he's parodying were made). One of the people working with him knows the Manhattan Transfer and suggested they sing the theme for one of his movies, Trail of the Screaming Forehead, because Blamire wanted it sung in four part harmony. As he said on his Facebook page, he wanted four part and he got the most perfect four part harmony for his project. I remember watching this and thinking, "Hey! That sounds like the Manhattan Transfer!" Their name came up in the credits and I giggled like a school girl.

Behind the scenes clip of the Manhattan Transfer singing the theme to Trail of the Screaming Forehead.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Manhattan Transfer as masterminded by Mr. Hauser is one of the very best vocal acts in the business with a truly timeless sound.

On her Facebook page, Hauser's bandmate, Cheryl Bentyne, whom has dealt with her own serious medical issues, expressed her grief in losing a friend, mentor, colleague and brother.

I don't know if the group will continue without Hauser, but if this is the end of the run, the Manhattan Transfer accomplished a legacy of great music and being among the best at what they did.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My FB friend, Cheryl Bentyne posted this from Alan Paul:

Last night was one of the most difficult performances I ever had to do. It was the first time The Manhattan Transfer sang since our partner Tim Hauser's passing. We opened our concert by showing a movie compilation from different performances featuring Tim on Java Jive, the earliest being from 1973.

Then Janis, Cheryl and I walked out on the stage and stood there unable to contain our tears. The audience was so gracious and they all stood up applauding. We thanked everyone for coming out and sharing this celebration of Tim's life and the legacy of our music.

We brought out Yaron Gershovsky, our musical director since 1979 with Kevin Axe on bass and then we introduced Trist Ethan Curless, the brilliant, multitalented singer who subbed for Tim when Tim was sidelined by surgery last year. We are thrilled and grateful to have him back on board with us.

I want to thank all our friends, family and fans around the world who have reached out to us during this very difficult time. It has meant so much to us and with your your ongoing support we will continue our legacy into the future.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
God Only Knows, I loved their acapella work especially although all of it was wonderful. Just glad I was able to see them live one time.

RIP.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
The first time I saw them in concert, they closed the show with A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square, probably the most perfect acapella piece they've done. I remember leaning on the edge of the stage and letting it wash over me.
Thanks for reminding me of that one. I don't have it but if it's gettable I'll have it later tonight.

Right now I've tied into an hour long show of theirs that's on youtube. It's a good night, if somewhat sad.

field19

DreamSeeker
Registered
Reaction score
My all-time favorite track is the scat singing John Hendricks version of "Birdland".

They were just incredible. I am saddened by his passing, but his memory will live on through their timeless recordings.