If it's a bad query letter will the agent read at least some of the chapter that went with it?

Fairies wear bOOts:)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
And if they like the chapter will they ask for a partial or a full despite the query?

I guess I'm asking in your opinion, because I know it depends on the agent. Or if your an agent that knows other agents and can maybe give me some kind of an average.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why would they? The thought process of 'yikes... well, wonder what the book is like,' seems unlikely unless there's some very specific thing mentioned that'd interest the person. Like 'yikes, well, I did say I was looking for something on murderous groundhogs, sigh, scroll, fml.'

I mean yes, it totally depends on the person, as that's a personal question, and it could change for the same person from one day to the next.

Someone who reads a bad query in a slew of queries while sitting on the train, bored, might scroll further, if that same person were in his or her office with stuff to do, might just trash it.

As Springs said, don't send a query you don't think is your best. Why risk it?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I do know some agents that look at the pages, yes. (from watching on twitter and talking to agents) They do know that queries are hard and different from writing a novel.

But it's still best to have the query be the best it can be.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I have no experience with agents, so ignore this if you like, but I'd advise you not to give up on your query letter so soon. Rushing it out when it's in rough shape is only going to limit your chances of landing an agent. A bad query letter tells them that either a) your manuscript is just as poorly written, or b) you don't care enough to write a quality business letter to solicit their representation. Either way, you don't want to go down that road.

What's the difference between sending out a bad query letter that results in a boatload of rejections and simply not sending it out? Neither of them gets you an agent, but at least with the latter you can take your time and learn how to write a better query. And remember that there's a difference between a good query and a perfect query. It doesn't need to be perfect. It does need to be clear, well-written, and attention grabbing.

Don't give up yet. :)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And if they like the chapter will they ask for a partial or a full despite the query?

I guess I'm asking in your opinion, because I know it depends on the agent. Or if your an agent that knows other agents and can maybe give me some kind of an average.
As you have noted, it will depend on the agent. It will also depend on "bad". If the query is a bit disjointed and hard to follow, but there seems to be something exciting in there, the agent may go ahead and read further. If it's riddled with typos and grammatical errors, the agent is more likely to stop reading because the ms will also be too full of basic errors for an editor to want to consider it. If the query is 'I expect a million dollar advance, and must be able to choose the cover art' the agent will laugh hysterically and put your name on their Do Not Work With This Nutjob list.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Choosing the cover art, that's a good one. :p

You'd be surprised... ;)

Fairy, have you already sent a Bad Query, or were you thinking you might get drunk or something and do it anyway because Fed Up With Queries? If you've already sent it, don't despair - there are ways to get around it.

ETA: But if you were thinking of sending it - don't.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unless the query is completely illiterate, three's no reason at all for an agent not to read sample pages that come with it. Even some extremely good writer turn in poor query letters.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you know it's a bad query letter, fix it. You seriously reduce your chances with it. Also many agents only want to see the query before even considering a sample.

Sending out a query without also sending at least three to five pages is a horrible idea, I don't care who the agent is.

And, of course, if it were as simple as just fixing it, no one would send out a bad query letter.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
They might read your pages, and they might not. No way of telling. I feel like sending a crappy query letter with beautiful sample pages is like showing up at a job interview in PJs without brushing your hair or teeth. Yeah, you might be able to wow them with your genius, but chances are very good that they'll write you off before they even get to the important stuff.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why would they? The thought process of 'yikes... well, wonder what the book is like,' seems unlikely unless there's some very specific thing mentioned that'd interest the person. Like 'yikes, well, I did say I was looking for something on murderous groundhogs, sigh, scroll, fml.'

I mean yes, it totally depends on the person, as that's a personal question, and it could change for the same person from one day to the next.

Someone who reads a bad query in a slew of queries while sitting on the train, bored, might scroll further, if that same person were in his or her office with stuff to do, might just trash it.

As Springs said, don't send a query you don't think is your best. Why risk it?

The spouse speaketh sense.

The agent might or might not read on, but really, why risk it? You don't have to aim for perfection. I sent mine out when I felt it was "decent", not "perfect", but decent is a long way away from "bad". Get your query up to a standard which YOU can be happy with, at least.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless the query is completely illiterate, three's no reason at all for an agent not to read sample pages that come with it. Even some extremely good writer turn in poor query letters.

It'd be nice to think so, but I'm not sure it's realistic to expect that:
the Nelson Agency: In 2012, they had 36,000 queries (query letters) come through their office.

Assuming they work Mon - Fri, 8 hours a day, with two weeks off per year for vacation and one week off at Christmas, that's 147 queries each day. 18 per hour. One every three and a half minutes.

An agent can read a query and hit "save this' or "reply with canned rejection" in three and a half minutes. Only a speed reading agent could read a query plus the first chapter in three and a half minutes. And even if they could, they couldn't afford to pay someone to spend all day, every day of the week, every week of the year, doing nothing but reading queries and sample chapters.

(Adding: especially not when, as Crasters noted, reading through 36,000 queries netted the agency 7 (seven) new clients.)

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not all agents want sample pages.

I can think of several reasons why an agent would look at pages due to the query. Frex, if a query sounds like something the agent wouldn't be interested in, why would she read the pages? If the query reads like the author can't write at all, why would she read the pages?

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Sending out a query without also sending at least three to five pages is a horrible idea, I don't care who the agent is.

And, of course, if it were as simple as just fixing it, no one would send out a bad query letter.

Except of course to the agents who ask for only a query letter and delete any that come with anything more than they request....

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Echoing what's been said. It depends on what's bad about it, or how bad it is. Less than totally perfect, with a typo maybe, but has a clear hook, I can see the agent glancing through the pages. But tons of typos, disjointed, full of every query no-no in the book, why would they? Reading queries isn't what gets an agent paid, so I imagine they have developed ways to be as efficient as possible. A query letter is an exercise in showing that you can write.

Save yourself (some of) the heartbreak of silence and rejections, and work on your query letter before you send it!

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Depends on what's wrong with the query letter. If it's just generally clueless about the industry, the agent might glance at the pages---cluelessness doesn't necessarily mean talentless. When I was an agent, I once took on a client who'd sent in a ms. typed on the back of previously used paper because it was so damn good. But if the query letter betrays problems that are bound to appear in the ms. as well, like bad grammar or incoherence, then there'd be no point in reading further.

Also, if the query letter makes it clear that the writer is not someone I'd want to work with, I'd skip the pages.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I am in no way an expert on agents, but I've read every post on Query Shark, and a few times I've seen her say something to the effect of, "This is a mess, but I'd probably look at the pages anyway because the story is exactly what I'm looking for right now. But you shouldn't count on that."

Imagine this: you are standing in a bookstore, trying to decide what to buy. You pick up a book and turn it over. The blurb is confusing, makes the book sound kind of dumb, and contains a homonym error. Do you open it and read the first few pages, just to check that it's as horrible inside as it is outside? Or do you put it back on the shelf and pick up the next book?

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
so faerie, several folks asked for a bit of elaboration on what you're considering a "bad" query letter and why you would send it out/if you sent it out.

Care to expand on those things? Specifics matter, I agree with most of the "why risk it?" and "they might, so fix your letter" sentiments, but those are blanket answers to a blanket question...

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I'm assuming the question is more about being unsure of how good the query will come across than thinking it's crap and deciding to send it anyway.

But whether they will read the pages or not, the query will have an impact on their level of enthusiasm going in to those pages. So a great query will get a "oh my god I want to love this SO HARD" whereas a mediocre query is more likely to get a grudging glance at the pages. Obviously you'd rather get the former response than the latter.

davidwestergaard

Registered
Reaction score

This may be the first time I've ever seen someone suggest that you disregard agents' submission criteria.

If that works out for you, please let us know. But it seems like an awful risk given how frequently I've heard the opposite advice...

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
This may be the first time I've ever seen someone suggest that you disregard agents' submission criteria.

If that works out for you, please let us know. But it seems like an awful risk given how frequently I've heard the opposite advice...

Many agents I've seen on Twitter (and elsewhere) say that adding five pages is acceptable and somewhat standard.

However, if an agent's guidelines say to ONLY submit a query letter, and nothing else (specifically), then I wouldn't suggest going against that to tack on five pages.