Revise and Resubmit Etiquette?

cottonwood

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously I'm a newbie! Last summer I sent my manuscript to 2 agents who responded with a "not there yet, but would be glad to take another look if revised". Their comments and suggestions were very similar. I revised keeping them in mind, and I am ready to resubmit. (well...not ready, but if you're on the high dive, you eventually either back down or jump.) Do I send a cover letter with revision attached, or do I write to ask if they would like to see it at this time? Do I let them each know that this is going out to another agent, or is it generally accepted that revisions will be going out to other agents? Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I think you can email to say, Thank you for your insight and feedback on this MS. I have made revisions based on your comments and the new version is available.

But make sure you are responding to the rejection/revision comments email - keep it all in the same email "chain".

Alternately, you could simply requery, but add a paragraph to the beginning saying you've made revisions per their comments and since they expressed interest in seeing a new version you want them to know it's ready.

I think you should be okay in responding directly to the previous emails though. I would probably not attach a file until they ask for it, just because unsolicited email (even coming as part of an existing exchange) with attachments are sometimes hinky.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I think you can email to say, Thank you for your insight and feedback on this MS. I have made revisions based on your comments and the new version is available.

But make sure you are responding to the rejection/revision comments email - keep it all in the same email "chain".

Alternately, you could simply requery, but add a paragraph to the beginning saying you've made revisions per their comments and since they expressed interest in seeing a new version you want them to know it's ready.

I think you should be okay in responding directly to the previous emails though. I would probably not attach a file until they ask for it, just because unsolicited email (even coming as part of an existing exchange) with attachments are sometimes hinky.

This.

cottonwood

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I'm glad I asked. I was leaning toward just sending the manuscript in response to the email chain. I'll just send the reply and let them request it if they are still interested.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I'm glad I asked. I was leaning toward just sending the manuscript in response to the email chain. I'll just send the reply and let them request it if they are still interested.

If you had discussed a specific time frame with the agent about when you expected to be done with revisions and resubmitting, that might be different. But I think even when I did that, I sent a heads-up email first to say "I'll be sending this back at the end of the week."

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
Why would the OP have to ask if the agents wanted to see the revision? I can't imagine they would ask for revisions if they didn't want to see them.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Why would the OP have to ask if the agents wanted to see the revision? I can't imagine they would ask for revisions if they didn't want to see them.

My understanding was the OP made revisions based on their feedback but without a specific agreement with the agent(s) that they were making those revisions and would resubmit in X amount of time. Perhaps I misread that. But in that case - there's an invitation to resubmit if the author chooses to make revisions - it's usually a good idea to let the agent know if/when you make those changes and that the new MS is available, rather than just emailing it back.

If an agent asks you to make revisions and you agree, and set up a time frame in which to resubmit the MS that's a little different. That's what happened with me. The agent asked for specific changes and how long it would take me to make those changes. Then I resubmitted once I had finished.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If they said they'd be glad to "take another look", you are clear to send it back to them. I'd still ask if now is a good time because it doesn't hurt to do so. If you are within an established time frame, go ahead and just send the work.

cottonwood

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to when I can help somebody else out by answering a question for them. As for my revision--both agents were contacted and said to send it on.