How do you know if you've found the right agent?

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but here goes...

I've been querying my MS for about 9 months, and I just got an email offering representation from a very small agency. Since it is a small agency, I don't know much about them. For the more experienced/agented writers out there, how did you know that the agent was the right fit for you?

And what should my next steps be (aside from contacting the handful of other agents who also have the full)?

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
The agent you have is exactly the right one...'til you fire 'em.

But seriously, you just have to do the best research that you can: look them up on the net, see what they’ve done for their other clients. Try to talk to people who've had dealings with them, and that's about it.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First things first, have you checked them out on the Bewares and Recommendations forum?

And have you had the phone call with them to discuss things like what edits do they have for your MS and do you agree with them? You could also ask them things like which editors they plan to submit to and how fast they expect you to do the edits. Would they be interested in future works or is the offer exclusively for this particular MS? Ask if you could contact a couple of their clients, maybe?

Good luck and congrats!

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I just got through reading the entire thread. It wasn't very encouraging, I must admit. I did not get a phone call, which I thought was a little odd, since I thought that's the standard way these things work. I received the offer via email.

Looking around the web now, but not finding a lot of really great stuff. So...maybe a pass? Not even sure how to do that politely!

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Ya know...you want an agent that will aggressively advocate your interests. So, I'm wondering why they didn't call you, or at the very least give you their phone number so that you could call them.

Looks fairly amateur to me.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'Thank you for your interest but I have decided to seek other options at this time.'

You don't have to give any reason.

This.

Not having a phone call is pretty weird. Coupled with the not so good thread that they have, I'd pass.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
What Putputt said. No call is strange. There's so much to discuss with the person who's going to be your agent. And the agent should want the call just as much to get a sense of you, your personality, the way you express yourself, etc.

If you have doubts, by all means keep looking.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you'd like, you could PM me the name of the agency and I'll tell you if I know anything of them.

I don't think the lack of a phone call is necessarily a problem but I wouldn't take on a new agent unless I'd already talked to them, and knew they shared my vision for my work.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
How long does it take you to write a book?

Weird question, but I think it might be relevant. If you write four books a year and have been looking for an agent for a long time, it might be worth signing on with this agency on a book-by-book basis, to see what they can do for you. If it goes well, fantastic, and if it doesn't, you've only wasted 3-months of writing time (and you can always self-pub the book even if the bad agent burned bridges with it).

But if you spent five years on this MS, you need to treat it a little more gently.

How many agents do you have left on your to-query list after nine months? What genre is your book (is it one that might be appealing to reputable smaller publishers who take un-agented submissions)? ie. What other options do you have for this MS?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The best, and possibly the most difficult, way of finding out about how an agent is is to communicate with a writer whom they currently represent. You will find out things you never will find out anywhere else. People are pretty willing to offer up info if you ask.

G'luck.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Remember, having an agent should be a long-term working relationship. You have to feel comfortable with them. Better if you're enthusiastic about them.

Doesn't sound like you are with this one. I say pass.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Getting the offer in an email is unusual, but not a dealbreaker. (If the agency has other red flags though, go with your gut.) I would want to speak with the agent on the phone though to discuss specific plans for my book before I made a decision.

As far as knowing that my agent was right for me, he has sales to good publishers and a good reputation. And when I talk to him about my manuscripts he's at least as excited as I am about them. Even when he's suggesting changes it's never a case of changing the book from what I want. More like "This part is so good we need more of it."

I would have been very uncomfortable accepting an offer of representation from someone I hadn't talked to in detail about what changes they did (or didn't) want from my MS and where they were thinking about sending it. (And I hate talking on the phone, but this is an important thing in a business relationship - knowing that you and the agent are on the same page about your book.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that an e-mail offer is that strange. I've heard of offers through both e-mail and phone calls from legit agents who got their authors good deals later. It's just a matter of style. Now if they don't want to talk to you on the phone afterwards, that would be weird.

My rule is that if you feel at all uncomfortable with the agent, don't go with them. The beginning is when you're going to feel most enthusiastic about your agent, so if you start with doubts in mind, I would say no. Doubts could come from BR&BC, from their lack of enthusiasm in other projects of yours, what exactly they say they love about your project, the revisions they plan for your novel not sounding right to you, a lack of sales in your genre, etc.

When I first was querying, I queried any agent who took my genre and wasn't bad, according to BR&BC. And the agent who offered me rep wasn't bad, in fact he was a superstar in some markets. But he didn't have sales in my market or genre, his enthusiasm for my novel seemed limited to what was presented in the query letter, he showed no interest in what else I was working on, and he was incredibly vague anytime I asked what sort of revisions he saw for the novel. I signed with him anyway. I quickly regretted it.

Now when I query, I look for more than whether the agent is bad. And I know that after this experience, there are agents who don't have a bad reputation, but who I would never say "yes" to if they offered representation. I don't query those agents.

The best, and possibly the most difficult, way of finding out about how an agent is is to communicate with a writer whom they currently represent. You will find out things you never will find out anywhere else. People are pretty willing to offer up info if you ask.

G'luck.

Just a note that this is not a foolproof plan. I've been burned by an enthusiastic author who was later unhappy with the agent. A longer history between the agent and author is probably key.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Just a note that this is not a foolproof plan. I've been burned by an enthusiastic author who was later unhappy with the agent. A longer history between the agent and author is probably key.

Good point. Inside scoops aren't foolproof. Very helpful, but not foolproof. (A particular agent might be the cat's meow and the writer you happened to contact an unpleasant and obnoxious individual, to put it mildly. So they tell you the agent is this and that, which actually isn't so at all.)

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I have let the agent know I'd like a week to contact other agents who currently have the full (got another request for the full this morning), and to come up with some questions. I'm still not sure whether to email the questions to her or ask for a phone call. I'm a bit phone-phobic, but I think if I have the questions written out so I can check them off while talking, I'd like to talk on the phone to judge if our personalities match.

Can't find a lot on this agent's clients. I found a list of them, but when I searched them on Amazon, most of them didn't have a publisher listed, so I'm not sure if that means her clients self pubbed or used small presses, or if I'm not searching deep enough.

Two of the agents with fulls out said they would read it this weekend, so if nothing else, I'll get responses to some fulls I've had out for a long time.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If the agent doesn't have a good, verifiable track record of selling books to good publishers which don't accept unagented submissions, you'd probably be better off looking for another agent. If all her author-clients are self-published or unpublished, again--find another agent.

If they are with good small publishers, Amazon would list them on the books' pages. If you can't find a publisher's name listed, they are either self published or published by a dodgy publisher, I'd guess.

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Lena, do you have a subscription to Publishers Marketplace? That's really the best way to investigate whether an agent is actually making sales. It costs $25 a month, but you could use it for a month and then cancel. Good luck!

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Lena, do you have a subscription to Publishers Marketplace? That's really the best way to investigate whether an agent is actually making sales. It costs $25 a month, but you could use it for a month and then cancel. Good luck!

It's a good way to confirm that sales are being made, but an absence of reporting on PM doesn't mean no sales... some agents/publishers don't bother to report to them.

So, for sure, it can be a sign of a good agent, but it's not necessarily a sign of a bad one.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
The agent emailed Saturday saying she'd be happy to answer any questions either via phone or email. I thought that was very flexible.

I also got an email from the agent who requested a full on Friday asking to set up a phone call this morning. Now I'm wracked with nerves!

***heads off to stress-eat a lb of chocolate***

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Sounds exciting! Keep us posted!

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I've set up the phone calls. I've found lots of good sources for what questions to ask. But I haven't found much of anything specific to authors who have already self-pubbed other books (different genre completely). Does anyone have experience with this? Or know if I'd be able to finish publishing my series, or have to take it down, or pay the agent commission for those, too? Not sure what to ask about that.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I've set up the phone calls. I've found lots of good sources for what questions to ask. But I haven't found much of anything specific to authors who have already self-pubbed other books (different genre completely). Does anyone have experience with this? Or know if I'd be able to finish publishing my series, or have to take it down, or pay the agent commission for those, too? Not sure what to ask about that.

An agent doesn't get a commission on things you self-publish. They only get paid on things they arrange the sale for (or otherwise negotiate the contract for).

If sales on the self-pubbed stuff are good, I can't see why they would want you to take them down. Although, you definitely want to mention them because having already published a novel means you are no longer a "debut" author. (Though it would be a "debut" in whatever the new genre is.) Even if the sales aren't good on the SP books, as long as they have a professional appearance it should be okay to leave them up. They are a backlist. An agent might balk if they were poorly edited and/or had poor covers.

I would be prepared with some specific numbers about sales and how many books you have out and still plan to release and such. And have figured out if you want to leave them up, take them down for a specific amount of time or whatever. Because this will likely be an area where the agent has more questions for you, than (perhaps) vice versa.