• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

e-book, Ebook, eBook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hahart

Earned thick skin elsewhere
Registered
Reaction score
What's the standard for referring to an e-book. I've seen it a number of different ways. I've been using e-book most of the time, but which is most accepted? Ebook, eBook, ebook e-book? Anyone know?

Kronisk

Banned
Reaction score
Sydney. Please do not call me Australian. My disli
When I am writing anything, I look at possibilities and think hard about the impression I want to give the reader. Ebook, eBook, ebook, and e-book all give different impressions to my mind, and I generally pick the one that gives the impression I want.

Sometimes I will even say "electronic book", just to be damned clear to the audience. You would not believe how many people are unaware that electronic books and print and paper books are two very different things.

hahart

Registered
Reaction score
OED

OED says e-book.
That's good enough for me :)

---
LOL...yep good old OED does say that, but I figured I'd ask anyway because I see it used so many different ways I have to wonder sometimes if I am missing some norm I don't know about.

hahart

Registered
Reaction score
When I am writing anything, I look at possibilities and think hard about the impression I want to give the reader. Ebook, eBook, ebook, and e-book all give different impressions to my mind, and I generally pick the one that gives the impression I want.

Sometimes I will even say "electronic book", just to be damned clear to the audience. You would not believe how many people are unaware that electronic books and print and paper books are two very different things.

That might explain why other folks haven't really settled on a norm, either.

Kronisk

Banned
Reaction score
Sydney. Please do not call me Australian. My disli
That might explain why other folks haven't really settled on a norm, either.

Norms in speech are not easy to come by, I have found, and they have to be organic. One cannot just tell a person "say X". And the fact that people can now talk to hundreds of others at once with a push of a button actually makes that worse rather than better.

Orwell is one of my favourite authors precisely because he touched on the subject of how language can be manipulated to change the thought process of the speaker. The difference in your ebook name iteration of choice is not nearly that heavy, but e-book for example makes it a lot clearer to the audience that it is not a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.