Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Rick, pictures!

sammy, glad you're doing better.

Add me to the "I hate moving" crowd.

{{{X-Cin}}} Complimentary passes are killer. Much sympathy.

The whole house smells like roasting turkey... and it's 60 degrees outside. :Wha: I've got the windows open, fer cryin' out loud!

Waiting for the parents and College Boy + GF to show up. Goal, as usual: Make it through the visit without fighting with mom. Wish me luck!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can do eet, Lily. I know, usually we reserve that stuff for more writerly pursuits, but biting your tongue is just as difficult.

We went to a comedy club last night, overriding some doubts. Turned out to be a good call. If you get a chance to see Rachel Feinstein, take it.

Dinner out beforehand, not so good. The new Mexican place we wanted to try was not up to the amount of traffic they had, and after waiting twenty minutes beyond the wait time they told us (without any assurances it wouldn't be long now, or free chips and salsa, nothing), and seeing empty tables unbussed, beverages taking 15 minutes to arrive, etc., we walked out, confident they could not have served us in time to get the the comedy show anyway. Luckily we were seated immediately at another place. A beer soothed my irritation enough, too.

Maryn, not all about wine (though often about whine)

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
morning purgies.:)

{cindy} So sorry.:(

{lisa} hope it goes well and you can have it behind you.

Kell - have fun. I first read that as "bowie hike" instead of "brownie" and I was thouroughly confused. LOL

Lily - YUMMY enjoy the dinner and good luck not fighting with your mom!

maryn - sorry for the PITA part of the night but yay for funny comedy!

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys!

Gotta hit and run, but here's the gang!

Purgy%2520Meet%2520Up.JPG

Huge hugs to ((((Kasey)))) and (((Cindy)))

More wine for (((OL))) Hope everything's going smoothly.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Nice photo, Rosie, but this is one that I WISH were giant! I can't see you all well enough!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

i woke before hub's marathon today
after going to bed at 1am. it must have
been maybe 5am when i woke?

unusual for me.
more stressed from everything than
i realized, i guess.

thanks for the sympathy--it's part
of the journey, i know.

my art reception is today but
i don't think i'm going to go. just
too much going on this week and i need
the day off.

great foto, rosie!

Elisabetta

Watching the world go by
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethloupas.com
Thanks for all the comments on the well-groomed historical gentlemen! Get me started on history (particularly around the sixteenth century) and I’ll just go on forever. Lily mentioned the Scarlet Pimpernel, which was one of my inspirations for my sword-fighting, cross-dressing (at one point he actually does dress up as one of the Muses in a masque) hero in Flower Reader.

Yay for wordage, Nano, faux-Nano, or non-Nano!

Heartfelt sympathies to Kasey and her family. Hugs to OL and Cindy.

Fantastic east-coast Purgie meetup photo. When are y’all coming to Dallas, anyway?

Am struggling with my WIP. Have received some editorial comments that I knew are right, but that sting a little and are going to require a lot of cutting, rewriting, and reworking. It will make the book better in the long run but makes me sad and hurt and crazy in the short run. As X-Cin says, I guess, it’s all part of the journey....

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Great pic, Rosie!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so envious of those who got to meet up. Any chance someone in attendance could do a who's-who going left to right on that photo? I recognize some but not all. (I'm pretty solid on which one's Rick, though!)

Gorgeous day here, unseasonably warm. We walked in a wooded area instead of our tidy paved path. Man, there's something about being outdoors in the woods, especially when you know damned well you may not see another day like this until April.

Got my window open--I'm pretty sure I'm smelling Lily's turkey dinner.

Hey, does anyone know if you absolutely have to have a spring-form pan to make a cheesecake? I don't own one, but the paper had a recipe for a pumpkin cheesecake which sounded so very good...

Maryn, permanently hungry

Elisabetta

Watching the world go by
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethloupas.com
Hey, does anyone know if you absolutely have to have a spring-form pan to make a cheesecake? I don't own one, but the paper had a recipe for a pumpkin cheesecake which sounded so very good...

It may not come out of the pan as neatly, but with cheesecake, who cares? Just put the non-springform-pan in the center of the table and hand everybody a fork. Heh.

Seriously, you can make cheesecake in anything you want. I'm on my way over. :)

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm still on my writing binge.

Great meetup pic! I agree it could be bigger.

It's 11:30 here and only 42 degrees. Fall has finally come to the high desert.

Some of the black spots that Chloe had from when that dog came into her yard and she attacked it have actually gone away. She's down to about 7, plus the big one actually seems smaller. I'm hoping they will actually disappear and her super soft hair will return.

OK, back to writing. :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. Yet more drama here. Unfortunately the ex-best friend and ex-girl of my dreams are the official organisers for our Nanowrimo region, thus making Novembers even more fraught with tension than other months. I stupidly let somebody persuade me to go to today's write-in, and the inevitable drama ensued. First world problems, I know.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Yay for Elisabetta dropping some history-talking stuff on us and Clovia's early mythological schooling. Some smart folks on here...
+1 I love it when you guys geek out. Elisabetta, I'm confident you'll pull off the editorial changes, but hugs on the stinging aspect.

{{{Kasey}}}

{{{X-cin}}} Missed your actual post, but I can read between the lines. I assume there are more prospects on the horizon?

OL, when do you finally move? And are you sharing to where?

I am moving from Oregon to New Hampshire next August and I am not looking forward to it.

Now back to refreshing my inbox.
Good morning, and welcome. Don't think we've met.

Hey, guys!

Gotta hit and run, but here's the gang!

Purgy%2520Meet%2520Up.JPG
From left to right, Lela, Rick, Rosie, lwalker, Clovia, Ink

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for IDing everyone. I hope one day to know you all on sight.

Para, doesn't that suck when what should be ordinary life thrusts you into high drama? I hope the feelings it evoked pass quickly. If not, you come over here and we'll open a bottle or two. I swear, it may not cure a thing but it can sure make you not much care.

I started doing a big of online shopping for the holiday. Mr. Maryn, being who he is, will provide me with little or no guidance on what he'd like Santa to bring, but as the laundress I am quite aware he needs dress pants, so he's getting a bunch. Plus the good ones he likes were on sale because of Veterans Day. I can at least give him things he'll use, whether he delights in opening the box or not.

I'm also cruising Etsy, which I love to bits, seeking cool stuff. Trouble is, I see scads of things I want for myself at the same time. That's no good, is it? But there are artisans whose work is so original and beautiful, how's a mere mortal to resist?

Maryn, weak

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Love the meetup pic! Also, there are great pics of Houndie and X-Cin and Blond over on FB for the gathering Cindy organized.

Survived the day with no fights :hooray: And only minimal discussion of What To Do When We Die. :rolleyes: Um, thanks, mom, I'll be busy bawling my eyes out and not giving a flying fuck about making sure the apartment manager does the walk through Right Away so I get your security deposit back.

She means well, but argh.

Turkey came out well. So did potatoes, stuffing, corn, carrots, and pie. I have leftovers. How many places shall I set at the table? :)

It's beautiful here, too. I actually suggested to Mr. Lily that he and kiddo could mow the lawn tomorrow. He countered with "We might put up Christmas lights." At my horrified expression, he soothed me by saying that "up" doesn't equal "lit". I see his point. It's miserable putting them up in wind and snow. If they do this, I'll pretend not to see them till Dec. 1.

We're fighting off triptophan and watching football. May order pizza later. I love love love being able to order pizza every couple of months without freaking about the bills.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
hugs! to elizabetta and para.

haupe, thanks. yes, went out wide.
YA first, then adult. i've always
straddled line and betas think this
novel more adult. i'm not convinced,
but i'm willing if no interest in YA.

thanks lily pie.
yes there are some great fotos
on fb of our event.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I reaped as I went (for a few pages at least).

Two panels yesterday as part of the week-long book festival. Both went well, but the second was the first time I was on a panel with non-kidlit writers, who I knew noth about. Ultimately it was good, but felt a bit awkward a first.

Yay for all the nano, fauxno, and non-nano wordage!

Hugs Elizabetta - down the road you'll b grateful for those notes.

Love he meetup pic!

Lily, my mouths watering - makes me hungry for thanksgiving food.

Maryn- yay for fun night out and early Christmas shopping. :)

((kasey))

(ol) packing is exhausting and emotional.

(xiao) I'm seeing references to a deleted bit of news -hugs if I'm interpreting I right.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff...so sorry if I missed news here and rep.

I travel again next weekend to ALAN, and the two local group signing events the next week, and then I'm done for the rest of the year. We are planning to nes and veg out and relax in December. :). An I hope it also means I'll be able to check in more often.

Heard Thursday that mt ed read the first part of the wip, and was positive about it. So, now we wait to see if an offer will follow, and if, what kind. Day job has been awful lately. It would be grea to be able to cut back my hours to part time. We'll see...

Hugs and high fives as needed.

~suki

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nom, pumpkin butter squares.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hah! I point my finger at you, O Tim, for I have seen that abomination before!

HAH, I SAY!

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
timp!!!!!

also ew!!!

suki, that is wonderful news on
positive reaction from editor.
sorry work has been crappy.

and thanks for hug. needed and
accepted!
fingers crossed you'll hear soon.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Such a frustrating weekend! I've been without a car, which has been okay in the scheme of things, but I did an 8 mile training walk yesterday and then raced home to get to Xiao's and Blond's YA in the Sun, but just didn't have enough time to juggle one car with Mr. Blue, who had to work. I was so looking forward to it too. It sounds like it went well.

I've then spent two days trying to post in AW, but for some strange reason the site has been so slow for me I couldn't get it to scroll. Nothing else has been like that on my computer. Did that happen to anyone else?
Nice photo, Rosie, but this is one that I WISH were giant! I can't see you all well enough!
Lily taught me that you do Ctrl and + to enlarge it! It is such a revelation. :) Everyone looks great, although I find it curious that Clovia, who is the one I've never really seen properly, is hidden behind Ink.
LOVE Elisabetta's new avi!
So do I! Those darling beagles are waiting for someone, for sure. Is it you, Elisabetta?

Kasey, what a shock to attend the funeral of a child. My condolences.

OL, I'm still trying to figure out where you are going!! Is it a secret? It all seems very mysterious. When is the date? I'm actually doing the 60 mile walk starting this Friday and ending Sunday, but if you need help moving after that, please let me know.

Xiao, what happened?? Wah! Yes, that cry of anguish is in your honor! I love your writing. Whatever the genre, I'm sure this book will find an audience. I hope you persevere.

I'm sorry I must go without properly addressing everything else. I almost gave up on AW working for me today and now that I've had some wine the head tis a bit fuzzy.

I have to say it didn't help matters that I finally logged in to find that Lily is cooking Thanksgiving dinner and I thought I'd entered a parallel universe or lost more time than I realized. :D

But I didn't escape fast enough to avoid seeing that revolting shoe foot. Tim, I'm going to have nightmares. Arrrggggh.

Status
Not open for further replies.