• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Words you ALWAYS misspell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this might be a fun discuss.. either here or Office Party but probably here... No matter how much you write in a day, no matter how many times you write these words down, you never get them right. There's always that one.. or two... or a handful.

Absence/License.

Because these two just HAVE to be difficult... I can never remember which is the one where s comes first.. or if there's even a c in either one.. (Made even MORE complicated because it's licence in Canada. Urgh.)

Embarrass

I'm always embarassed when I can't remember how to spell embaress. It's so embarressing... how many ways can there be to spell this incorrectly?! How can you tell which is real?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Personnel. Sapphire. Unnecessary.

It's those double-letters that get me. I'm always trying to double the wrong consonant.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
sihluoette, um, silhuoette, um, silhoutte, silhouette.

Damn, I can't even spell that one right if the word is right in front of me. My mind's eye refuses to "see" or remember the letters in the correct order. Takes multiple "trial and error" tries each time.

Unnecessary gets me sometimes too. Like JJ, I often end up doubling the wrong letters.

Last edited:

KidCassandra

learning how to BIC
Registered
Reaction score
In my "real" job I'm a medical documenter. There are some words which I must use daily and which I will never, EVER spell correctly on the first try.

Bowel--as in bowel movement--is one. I just had to google it, and even then I'm not 100% confident. It totally has two l's...doesn't it? How many ms are in hemorrhage? Am I quite sure that many vowels belong in "dyspareunia?"

As far as more mundane words, most of my problem is just typos--my fingers not cooperating with my brain. That said, I cannot ever spell "separate" without thinking really hard about it. I also put u's in words that don't require them in American English--even though I was born over here. And I constantly misspell asphalt.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those maddening -ible or -able words only loosely related to ability. The -ents and -ants also pain me greatly.

Maryn, who loves spell check for the ones she cannot learn

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Wait. There's no 'e' in judgement? I mean judgment ....

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
rythem rythmn ...... rhythm

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
maneuoeuver

seriously, why do you need so many vowels?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
maneuoeuver

seriously, why do you need so many vowels?
The French needed that many vowels. Those of us foolish enough to steal their words must simply pay the price.

Speaking of which, lieutenant and the aforementioned silhouette.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to misspell lieutenant half the time until I memorized it as "lie u tenant."

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
I touch-type and my N finger always always gets carried away when I type "ratio"... and it ends up becoming "ration" just because of habit.

And I know the feeling, KidCassandra, and it's even worse in UK English: haemorrhage, diarrhoea... I'm working on the revised version of the translation for a book on cancer drugs I worked on two years ago, worked in the medical field for over 10 years, and I still find myself having to double check some "common" words because I'm not sure how to spell them. And no matter how slow I go, weirdy drug names will get me every time!

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Anything with the ei instead ie combination. Luckily, autocorrect usually nabs that.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Necessary/unnecessarily. Unconsciousness. Auto correct had to fix those for me.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
rythem rythmn ...... rhythm

Oh goodness yes!

For some reason, unless I fully stop and think through it, I never spell museum right on the first try, which is especially bad since I'm in a field where it comes up a lot!

It comes up way less often but I well and try can't spell Norwegian (thanks spell check!).

Shunter

Registered
Reaction score
Beaurocracy. Bureaucracy. Wow, right on the second try, that's a first (sorta). Vowel strings always get me.

Status
Not open for further replies.