Mama Jude's Pep Talk

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Allow me to offer this as hj's proxy: Finish. It. :e2teeth:

Oooooh, scary! :scared:

You can do it! Have you run out of steam on the plot or the people? A character? What's the thing that's turning you off?

All of the above. I like my second character better than my main character (I need both so can't condense them into one, although I might try it to see what happens....Hmmmm:idea:) *Wanders off.*

I'm going to pretend this is for me, to encourage me to type stuff up tonight. Axes wielded by trolls are scary.

Of course it was meant as encouragement. :rolleyes As is this: :poke: Have you typed that stuff up yet? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Here's a trick when you're stuck, well 2 actually.

First, reread your entire work from start to wherever you got stuck. You will see things you overlooked, missed, misplaced, or otherwise forgot about and you will start typing again, filling in, rounding out, and generally completing stuff.

Second, step away from the story for just a little bit. Give your subconcious time to work things out. Read a book on history, a book outside your normal genre, a classic western or detective work (Shane or any of the short "pulp" detective stories from the 30s always does it for me), take a walk, watch a sunrise or sunset, go golfing or fishing or running or do something that takes your mind away from the story. You'll come back to it with a lot more ideas and thoughts about where the story is going.

Exercise has been shown in the new science of the mind to actually generate new neural connections and refresh your mind and mental pathways.

Some great advice, FOTSGreg. I've tried your second option. I wrote a short story which actually got published! (Link in my sig line) :e2thud:

As for the 1st...you may have hit on part of the problem. My first two WIP's I wrote and edited at the same time, going back over and over different chapters, fleshing things out as I went. This time (and for the life of me I can't remember why I decided this) I figured I'd write the whole thing without going back and editing once.

It's driving me nuts!:Headbang:

Maybe it's time to resume my 'normal' way of writing?

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've a couple of avenues to explore and I feel a lot better than I did before I logged on.:e2grouphu

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I need a holiday.

I keep getting home from work really late without the energy to do much of anything. Weekends I splurge and do loads of stuff, which is great, but there are a lot of weekends where I can't do that - seeing family, friends, going places, that sort of thing. So I really need to be writing day in day out to get this draft done. I'm looking forward to being able to actually do some editing, so I can get the story working the way I want it to, but first I need to get it written.

Part of the problem is that I've written this whole thing before, but because I'm learning as I go, the first draft is basically unusable. This draft is 98-99% brand new, except it's not brand new to my mind. I still love the story, but I want it to be done. I'm seeing bits in the new "first draft" that I want to change, too. I so do not want to be the kind of writer who spends twenty years writing one book.

Ugh. There's not really a point to this. Just venting. Not writing. Gah!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Part of the problem is that I've written this whole thing before, but because I'm learning as I go, the first draft is basically unusable. This draft is 98-99% brand new, except it's not brand new to my mind. I still love the story, but I want it to be done. I'm seeing bits in the new "first draft" that I want to change, too. I so do not want to be the kind of writer who spends twenty years writing one book.

Ugh. There's not really a point to this. Just venting. Not writing. Gah!

I read a piece of advice somewhere that said one must set a limit on edits. It's never going to be as perfect as you want it to be. At some point, you must do your best, and let it go.

Yeah, I can't do it, either.

Hang in there. :Hug2: I know how you feel!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
muse, I did type up my stuff. 1,500 words last night, still working on more now. The progress feels good!

As for you, if you haven't read through the manuscript in awhile, that could do the trick. I'm an edit-while-I-go girl, but my final product tends to look pretty similar to my first drafts. Even so, reading back over what's gone before serves as a good reminder of details I'd otherwise forget.

Another thing that's worked for me is to - outside of the WIP - plunk the troublesome character down in an appropriate setting, like a bar or a wrestling ring, give him/her another character to interact with, and have that second character ask, "What the hell is wrong with you?" I usually end up with a useful answer. (I'd try this first because it's fun.) :D

osg, Keep going! You can finish! Maybe it would help to make notes on what you might want to change and leave them to consider later. That way they have a chance to get out of your head and leave you to plow through to the end.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Thanks guys. Gonna try to adjust my working hours so I get home a little earlier and have more time to write. We'll see...

And I will take the advice about sticking all the notes into a folder - I'll look at them for draft three... !

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Difficult to type (am on vacation on an iPad), so for now ill just offer :Hug2:s, :poke:s, and :Sun:s. You're all wonderful.

Now make progress before I get home and go all :sword on you. :)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I'm doing that thing again where I'm comparing myself to writers, especially writers I like. And while it's not something out of the ordinary to do, I think I do it to a really, I guess, bad level. Because it's like with the writers I like, my own work starts to feel inadequate or suckish. Also, I tend to use them as a spectrum, of sorts, of what I should be writing. (As in, I read this author and I liked them, so, therefore, I must want to write in this genre; maybe I should consider it.). This all further leads to slightly confusion of what I want to write. I'm still thinking, deep down, it's M/T/S and some forms of Speculative Fiction. But I guess, I don't know, for some reason I might be slightly afraid to either write it still or I'm afraid I'm going to fail epically at it. I can't really tell what the issue is anymore. I have nothing against M/T/S or Spec. Fic.; I like them. I like writing them. I'm just....I''m just....I don't know. It's like I see any element or something and I like it I feel like I want to use a similar element. Not like in a bad way or a way that's taking something from another story completely, just a "Wow, that was good" type of thing.

ETA:
I mean, and I know this is going to sound crazy, but it's normal to like genres you don't write in(or write in anymore) right? I mean I still like Romance and Chick-Lit, but I don't think I have the skill set (or the skill set yet) to write. Personally, I think I'd be fine if I just ended up sticking to M/T/S and Urban Fantasy(or whatever Speculative Fiction).

Maybe this is just my impatience at work. Maybe I just want to get to the end of stories, or rather, I like getting to the end quickly. I can't do that with the genres I write now. Not really anyway. I mean I could try again, writing a short, I suppose. But I haven't been successful with it before, not that much.

But seriously, maybe that's my problem. I'm impatient, and it wasn't really noticeable, because I was writing such short short stories before, but now it is because I'm writing much longer?

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Because it's like with the writers I like, my own work starts to feel inadequate or suckish.

Everybody says to be a writer you must read a lot. I do...but not while I'm writing. I can't. Just like you, if I read something I really like, I get depressed, because I'll NEVER be that good.

I mean, and I know this is going to sound crazy, but it's normal to like genres you don't write in(or write in anymore) right?

I hope so! While I read a lot of mystery, I also enjoy regency romance. Totally, totally different than what I write. I tried writing some romances (and there is certainly a big romantic element in my work), but I couldn't make it work. Some people consider them the potato chips of literature...but boy, it's a hard genre to do well.

But seriously, maybe that's my problem. I'm impatient, and it wasn't really noticeable, because I was writing such short short stories before, but now it is because I'm writing much longer?

It's possible. I've written short stories from time to time, and it's a VERY different skill. You're adapting to something new; of course it's going to feel weird for a while.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Romance is like pop music. Lots of people look down on it as not being "real art", but if you've ever sat down and tried to write a pop song, you know how excruciatingly difficult it is to write a good one.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Everybody says to be a writer you must read a lot. I do...but not while I'm writing. I can't. Just like you, if I read something I really like, I get depressed, because I'll NEVER be that good.

Do you think maybe I should start splitting my times in when I read and when I write? Like, if I'm going to focus on reading, focus on that and don't write(or at least, don't focus on writing), focus on looking at the writing, "studying" it and etc.? Then when I take a break, like I stop reading for a while or I'm not picking up a book for a bit, I write? I mean the only problem with that is that I like to read, a lot, and it's hard to say when I'll taking a break from reading next honestly.
But at the same time, I still have that voice in my head saying that my story(or stories) won't be good enough. Also I fear my stories might become too influenced by what I'm reading at the time. You know?

I hope so! While I read a lot of mystery, I also enjoy regency romance. Totally, totally different than what I write. I tried writing some romances (and there is certainly a big romantic element in my work), but I couldn't make it work. Some people consider them the potato chips of literature...but boy, it's a hard genre to do well.
I agree with that. It is hard to do well. Very hard to do well.

It's possible. I've written short stories from time to time, and it's a VERY different skill. You're adapting to something new; of course it's going to feel weird for a while.
Yeah, but how would I get over it, the impatience?

Romance is like pop music. Lots of people look down on it as not being "real art", but if you've ever sat down and tried to write a pop song, you know how excruciatingly difficult it is to write a good one.

QFT.

I tried writing plain Contemporary Romance before(the very short stories I just mentioned). I wasn't really successful at it. I just don't think I'm cut out for it. Hahah. I do like Romantic Suspense/Thriller though. I also like Urban Fantasy Romance. (I have read some Paranormal Romances but I didn't really like as many of them as I did Urban Fantasy Romances or Urban Fantasy books).

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Do you think maybe I should start splitting my times in when I read and when I write? Like, if I'm going to focus on reading, focus on that and don't write(or at least, don't focus on writing), focus on looking at the writing, "studying" it and etc.?

I think, whenever possible, you should read for pleasure, but that's a personal bias. :) If you really enjoy something, you can always go back when you're finished and pick it apart then.

But at the same time, I still have that voice in my head saying that my story(or stories) won't be good enough.

It's possible I speak for more than just myself when I tell you that you'll probably ALWAYS feel this way. There may be some writers out there who feel that their work is good enough - but I haven't met any of them yet.

Also I fear my stories might become too influenced by what I'm reading at the time. You know?

So what if they are? Unless you're plagiarizing them, stories you enjoy can be great prompts.

Yeah, but how would I get over it, the impatience?

I could tell you, but I'd rather make you wait. :D

Okay, seriously? You may never get over the impatience. What you can get over is letting the impatience stop you from writing what you want to write.

And I really think the only way to do that...is to sit down and write. Let the impatience scream in your ear, but write anyway. Eventually you will learn to live with it.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I think, whenever possible, you should read for pleasure, but that's a personal bias. :) If you really enjoy something, you can always go back when you're finished and pick it apart then.

It's possible I speak for more than just myself when I tell you that you'll probably ALWAYS feel this way. There may be some writers out there who feel that their work is good enough - but I haven't met any of them yet.

So what if they are? Unless you're plagiarizing them, stories you enjoy can be great prompts.

I could tell you, but I'd rather make you wait. :D

Okay, seriously? You may never get over the impatience. What you can get over is letting the impatience stop you from writing what you want to write.

And I really think the only way to do that...is to sit down and write. Let the impatience scream in your ear, but write anyway. Eventually you will learn to live with it.

Thank you!! :D :D

So,....my biggest issue, is just sitting down and writing. That's basically it. I mean it's probably the hardest one. But it is an issue/solution.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Thank you!! :D :D

So,....my biggest issue, is just sitting down and writing. That's basically it. I mean it's probably the hardest one. But it is an issue/solution.

Mine, too. For me, I have to be in a routine and organized. Get up early, work out. While I'm working out, I usually run through the plot - where am I stuck, maybe think up dialogue. Since it's just me in the basement, I can say the dialogue out loud - hear how it sounds - and no one is there to question my sanity. Over lunch at work, I write down what I've been mulling over (unless inspiration strikes and I have to write it down NOW). Once my kids go to bed, I'll either type up what I've scrawled on a notepad (I still do a lot of my writing that way - first draft is almost always by hand), or revise something else.

My schedule really got knocked for a loop when we had Thing #4. It's taken a good bit of time for me to get back into any semblance of rhythm.

When I sit down to write and I find myself doing something else, it's usually because there's a sticky plot point I need to work out, or revisions that need to be done that I'm honestly feeling too lazy to deal with.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

You got it. And I don't know about you, but my brain is incredibly good at distracting me when I'm doing something that makes me nervous or afraid for any reason at all.

Heck, I'm thinking of signing up for Camp NaNo in April, just because I'm scared of sending out queries.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
No dice liz. I'm going to start querying your book for you if you don't do it.

It's like a literary suicide pact.

... wait, that's impossibly creepy. Good thing this is MTS, amirite?

... guys? Where is everyone? everyone? everyone?

crap. it's happened again.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
No dice liz. I'm going to start querying your book for you if you don't do it.

It's like a literary suicide pact.

... wait, that's impossibly creepy. Good thing this is MTS, amirite?

... guys? Where is everyone? everyone? everyone?

crap. it's happened again.

This is why this thread is called the Pep Talk. :D

YEAH, YEAH, I KNOW. I'LL DO IT. <grumble>

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
You got it. And I don't know about you, but my brain is incredibly good at distracting me when I'm doing something that makes me nervous or afraid for any reason at all.

Heck, I'm thinking of signing up for Camp NaNo in April, just because I'm scared of sending out queries.

I was thinking of trying writing while listening to a music playlist with earphones/headphones. I think the music will distract my brain enough to prevent me from worrying but not enough that I won't be able to write.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I was thinking of trying writing while listening to a music playlist with earphones/headphones. I think the music will distract my brain enough to prevent me from worrying but not enough that I won't be able to write.

I LOVE writing to music! Of course, at this point there are certain songs that remind me of specific characters and scenes, so I need to be careful what I choose. ;)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
onesecondglance, is this proxy querying service something you provide to others? Because I would love someone to query for me. I can write the book, write the query, even write the stupid synopsis, but I really do not do well with the actual querying. It feels too hard. :D

lizmonster
, you will query. My Elena says so. She's about to get scarier than usual so... don't say I didn't warn you. (And don't listen to what I said to osg above.)

Silver, try the music. I rarely write in silence. Having music in the background helps keep me less distracted, though there's always a transition time from bouncing around on the Internet to getting down to serious writing time.

General pep talk: It is fine to admire other writers' work. It's fine to try different things and use aspects of ideas you find elsewhere. We come across these little nuggets and they germinate inside us and they become altered, some more subtly than others, from what they were when we found them. The difference is in context, execution, perception, any of a myriad different ways. That's the thing about writing. Nobody can tell the story you have in you the way you would tell it.

Others might tell a similar story. They'll tell it differently. You might think they do something or other with it particularly well, better than you. But they're not telling your story. They're not telling it your way.

We're all going to suck sometimes. We're going to fail because that's how we learn. I think that's especially true for writing. We get better by doing. We get better - we grow - by trying.

You're awesome. Keep at it!