How do I get ongoing speaking engagements

Alien Enigma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
How do I go about getting speaking engagements that pay or at least pay for my travel expenses? I have specialized in my talents and feel people can benefit from what I have learned. I am eager to share my expertise with those who care to accept it.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stop spamming the board. You've posted this in multiple places.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
How do I go about getting speaking engagements that pay or at least pay for my travel expenses? I have specialized in my talents and feel people can benefit from what I have learned. I am eager to share my expertise with those who care to accept it.

First list of questions: Legitimacy?

I mean that literally, from the standpoint of legitimacy, why would anyone listen to you. Are you an author on the subject? Are you featured in any magazines, journals, etc that would give you legitimacy? Are you an expert in your field and acknowledged by your peers?

Serious questions please answer.

Second list of questions: Audience?

Who would be your target audience? What are their demographics? Where are they located? Are you talking academia, business, homeowners, normal consumers, students, teachers, who???

Third list of questions: Benefits/value

What are the tangible benefits of your talk? How will your talk benefit the audience? What value will the audience derive from your talk? What problems does your lecture hope to solve? Why would your target audience care?

So, let me give you an example. Lets say I have established myself as the best car painter in America. My cars are featured in Hot Rod Magazine and I win contests all the time. I utilize a new technique that I developed myself.

So, if we apply this to my list of questions.

#1 Legitimacy: Yes. I have plenty of awards and spots in prominent mags

#2 Target Audience: Those in the business of painting cars especially custom jobs as well as serious hobbyists

#3 Value/Benefits: I will be teaching my trademark techniques that aren't avialable anywhere else. My audience will be able to use my lecture to improve their skills, get jobs they weren't getting before, maybe expand to custom jobs, charge more, etc.

So answer my list of questions and we will go from there.

Mel...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
hoo boy. Whaddaya think, folks? Do I leave this one for Soccer Mom to come back and deal with, or just take care of it now?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I don't like his avatar. Is that overreacting?

Well, now, that illustrates the fundamental question of when is a piñata fun to keep around, just for the sake of having a piñata? As opposed to when is it just sorta cruel and unusual?

Also, there's an excellent teaching moment in terms of letting out members know when the ignore function is appropriate, and being able to give an impromptu little tutorial on where you find it.

Deleted member 42

You can use the settings in your CPanel to ignore all the posts of users who annoy you.

Ignore lists are useful for avoiding the posts from people you don't want to read. If you add a member to your ignore list, posts by that person will be hidden when you read a thread.

1. Go to your User CP panel.
2. On the left, under the category of Settings and Options, click Edit Ignore List.
3. In the field labeled "Add a Member to Your List..", enter the name of the member whose posts you wish to ignore.
4. Click Okay

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 42

Well, since we are discussing avatars...I don't like yours either, a transvestite mermaid being poked by an ogre, its kind of nasty.

Dude, really, are you sure you want to go there?

Really?

It's a marginal illustration from the Rutland Psalter (c. 1250) folio 87v. The critter with the tale is a sciopod; they're rather popular in marginal decorations.

I'd be really careful about expressing your true feelings.

Also? You need to look up the word transvestite. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The guy who doesn't know how to get speaking engagements is going to share his expertise. Well, sign me right up.

Just wondering: How soon is 2009 going to be better and bigger? Maybe that's rear-view mirror logic: "Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear"

Deleted member 42

The guy who doesn't know how to get speaking engagements is going to share his expertise. Well, sign me right up.

Just wondering: How soon is 2009 going to be better and bigger? Maybe that's rear-view mirror logic: "Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear"

Have I mentioned that I lack depth perception entirely?

Also:

I can honestly say I've had speaking engagements to discuss marginal illustrations.