Sounds

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering about certain expressions of dialogue. Is an "mmm" sound a moan? What synonyms are there that convey the same thing? Is just having "mmm" as dialogue too odd, or is that fine?

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I've been wondering about certain expressions of dialogue. Is an "mmm" sound a moan? What synonyms are there that convey the same thing? Is just having "mmm" as dialogue too odd, or is that fine?
I've seen it used. And more often than you think.

As far as "Mmm" being a moan, not always. In bed? Yes. At dinner? Yes. In an agreeing way? Maybe.

But I have seen some big name books with "Mmm" "Hmm" and so forth. i wouldn't go overboard, but I'd think once or twice is okay. But keep in mind a publisher has final say.

RowanMckenzie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say you want to use onomatopoeia sparingly... I think it's about having the form fulfilling the function necessary.

"Mmm" for example, sounds more like... a thing of mild pleasure, or amusement, or a sound expressing that the speaker is enticed.

I wouldn't use it... In the middle of a hardcore sex scene, for example :D

But if your protagonist is slipping up against their intended partner seductively? Or your scene has just ended and your speaker is a bit of a vixen?

Just, like everything else, use sparingly and with as much thought as possible! :Hug2:

SierraLee

Boldly Nervous
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't strike me as a moan, more of a quiet humming sound. The kind of sound you intentionally make to express agreement or appreciation, so more useful for the kinds of scenes Rowan suggested.

I don't know that I've ever used it, but I'd probably accept it without question unless it was overused in a book.