Maybe this has been done before, but (there's always a "but")

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
In light of kuwisdelu's masterful challenge exercise piece, I thought it might be fun and worthwhile and cat-shave-y if we had informal exercise challenges.

Each week or month or whatever, we could have a set of Rules Thou Shalt Not Break, then break 'em. One person can decide the parameters- no more than 500 words, MC is a Mary Sue, dangle those participles, and use no more than 2 periods, or something.

I don't know if anyone else would be interested in such a thing- this board is so slow which hopefully means we're all hard at work on our real writing, but maybe it would be fun?

Of course, maybe not.

EDIT: Derp, there's a whole BOARD for this business! Never mind! :D

Last edited:

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
Where's the whole board? I've seen sub-forums with things like this. Don't see why we can't. I like the idea.

spentastico

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.spencerphelpsdotcom.com
Maybe we could model it like the western challenge that was just done. I just submitted to that last week, and I think it's a good format.

I like the idea of the rolling monthly contests - like you have all of March to write something, then you display entries and vote on the March stuff during the first 2 weeks of April while the new April challenge is also going.

Works real well over here at songfight.org, 'cept they have people create entire new songs every week, which boggles my mind. That site has been going for ten years now and is amazing.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
So are we doing this thing? Has anyone else--Libbie, hey Libbie--asked you about this, Badger? I'm up for it still. I'm looking at ways to keep writing while I'm editing.

I'm still up for this, Badger.

Should we put it in our sigs to advertise it? Too bad superbowl's been and gone. Could've got loads of people that way. Can we throw out some ideas of we just freestyling? Not saying I have any ideas. Maybe I do. I'll have a think. What do you think? Is anyone even here?

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm here. We've got another whole day to mash this out.

I propose we set it up in The Sandbox or Exercises/Prompts/Whimsy, lest we perpetuate the notion that litsnobs are actual snobs, that the pieces should be due on April 2, and that maybe we could slap together a good solid list of Writerly Rules, randomize 'em, and draw a couple out of a hat. An internet hat.

Uhh, let's say 1k words tops. And I dunno, you wanna vote or just do it for fun, or what? I vote for not voting.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, sounds good. I'm easy on the voting. I'll vote to vote or vote note to. 1K or less sounds about right. Can we not perpetuate the litsnob thing just a little bit? Joking. Maybe I'll use a purple font.

I'm going to have a look at that second place you mentioned. Don't think I've been to that part of town.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so that second place you mentioned that I'm not bothering to write looks good. I noticed the western SYW has one of these going so it could always be in literary SYW too.

Right now, ducks are flying past my balcony. They make me feel like Tony Soprano. FYI.

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Okay, Mr. Snarkypants. April 1 it is.

Because I am the boss of this thread which is based on an idea I stole, here are the rules for March for right this second. We can yammer about it today, then I'll throw up a post in Literary SYW.

We'll start with a couple of Elmore Leonard's rules for writing fiction.

1) Open the piece with weather.
2) Always use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue.
3) You are allowed as many exclamation points as you need, but you only get 5 periods, so use them carefully. They're rare, and we don't want to use them all up at once.
4) Write what you don't know.

Regarding the final point, write about something you are painfully ignorant about, and you can't do any research. For example, The Crimean War. I don't know who the hell fought it, when, where, or why, so that would be an excellent choice for me. Just make shit up.

Okay, my brave Atlanta Knights. Yea or nay?

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm gonna have to ellipsis the hell out of this and have my characters asking questions and answering with questions or cutting off. Either that or I can do an ode to Cormac McCarthy and use 'and' 700 times.

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
1k words max, making the 5 period restriction ridiculous because that's like 3 extra periods for that number of words.

Plus? Exclamation points!

spentastico

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.spencerphelpsdotcom.com
Should we do it here or in The Sandbox?

LOL I just noticed this. Man, if I had a nickel for every time I've been asked that... :roll:

But seriously, the period thing is beyond my expertise, so it'll be a deal breaker for me. Maybe others can do that, but I would personally find that a very exhausting read. Hell, I've already used four.

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Aww, don't give up! The point of the challenge is to take the Thou-Shalt-Nots and turn them into something readable and enjoyable, and while I understand that it may be difficult, that's part of the fun- you know what I mean?

How about, if any one set of anti-rules proves too daunting, you can skip that rule? Does that sound reasonable?

(Period count: zero!)

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm okay with it. I've even got an idea and a title: Back, Sack, and Crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.