NEPAT Overflow

Lori Basiewicz

Re: Who, exactly, is the villain here?

From my experiences as a user with major transfers from one system to another -- some of them very recent -- the management team brings in junk food and caffeinated products and provides plenty of opportunities for people to 'just walk away' for a few minutes during the first couple of days of rollout.

Interestly enough, Frank, the last major rollout, all the worry and dread of what the first day would be like were wasted. There were no major problems.

I'm sure it will be just like that with this.

ChunkyC

I've been lurking around the vBulletin forums a bit, and the general transfer process seems to go like this:

The original site is copied to the new site. However, the original site stays active while the new site is checked out for boo-boos. Since there are no 'pointers' to the new site yet, no one is posting there. Once a successful transfer is confirmed, a final copy is done to get any posts/changes made in the interim and the original site is shut down, then the new site goes on line.

That's what I've gleaned from the discussions over there.

aka eraser

Okay, that sounds like a plan. I'm reassured. And grateful that I'm not in charge.

arrowqueen

Will there be a trail of breadcrumbs we can follow?

aka eraser

Yes aq. As soon as all the details are known they'll be posted where all can see. I think Jenna was planning on at least a couple of weeks' lead time.

I hope.

DaveKuzminski

Munch, munch, munch.... Uh, why are you all staring at me?

Oh, I'm not supposed to eat these? ;)

Jbridger

Alberto Gonzales vetted the memo. Intimidation of bad followers is allowed as long as no actual organ failure is incurred. No problemo for the loyal.

arrowqueen

Dammit, Dave. Now I'm screwed!

DaveKuzminski

What gets me is we have someone registered for this forum as Uday Hussein.

snarzler

I think he's Meiner's Iraqi cousin. He's going to copy this thread into a .doc and see if PA offers it a contract.

Is there a bonus for most contracts offered or is status granted by just having a "very special" ms given a contract period? And does PA have to rescind the offer or does it count if the "author(s)" turn it down? And who control the badges for the Wall Of InPAminy?

Andrea 0]

DaveKuzminski

I wouldn't call it a Hall of inPAminy. That might limit it to PA when there are others who are equally deserving.

As to the bonus you mentioned, I think it would be interesting to set up a point scale for some competition such as the following. You get one point for submitting a bogus manuscript that deserves rejection to any publisher. You gain another point if it's accepted. You gain two points for public humiliation if the publisher withdraws their acceptance after learning over the web that the manuscript was bogus. However, you gain three points for public humiliation if the bogus manuscript reaches publication before you alert the world to its bogus content.

As it stands now, Kevin earned two points, possibly four. Dee earned at least two and is still in the running to earn up to three more. Atlanta Nights definitely earned four points. It's going to be difficult to surpass those efforts unless we refine the point system a bit more to include other variables that didn't occur to me yet.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
eeeew

Mac, you are such a cut up

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This is a thread for the off-topic messages from the Never Ending PublishAmerica Thread up in the Bewares and Background Check Board.

I'm still trying to figure out how to create one big file of everything since the boards were re-formed in February. Until then, I'll be cut-n-pasting here.

This means that the original authors won't be able to delete or modify their posts. Sorry about that.

Messages that are moved here are wonderful messages. All that being moved here means is that, in my judgment, they don't belong in the big NEPAT.

-- JDM

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you for...

Working Author vbmenu_register("postmenu_237348", true);
Esteemed New Member

=======

bringing back The Neverending PublishAmerica Thread. Personally, I've missed it immensely. The thread has not only been very informative to unsuspecting new authors, but current and ex-PA authors (like me).

Please keep up the good work.
Teena

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Gravity vbmenu_register("postmenu_237431", true);
Board fanatic

Yee-haw! Yes, PA, that unpleasant puckering sensation you're feeling in your collective nether regions is all too real. This thread is once again active.

Everybody. Sing along with me now, and make it mellow. "Back in the saddle again..."

John

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
saraht vbmenu_register("postmenu_238543", true);
Esteemed New Member

reputation_pos.gif

========

I'm so glad this is back! Never thought I'd miss anything this much but I did.

On the count of three everyone commence to smiling and waving to the folks over at PA.

Violet

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Christine N. vbmenu_register("postmenu_238635", true);
Czarina of New Jersey

=============

Whew, there goes all my free time. LOL. Ok, let's keep it on topic. What's new on the PA boards...

Nope, nothing, same old crap. OK, sorry UJ, I'll be good. I just wanted to chime in now that the thread's reopened.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
So here's what we're going to do. I'm going to uncharacteristically play heavy-handed censor.

Y'all can yell if you don't like it. That's okay. :D

We aren't going to discuss PAS or OTR on the public boards. Feel free to discuss it privately.

None of the OTR folk are here to defend themselves, for reasons of their own. Many of those reasons are both good and respectful.

They aren't the enemy.

Neither are any of the other individuals involved.

PA, the amoral "publisher" is the enemy.

So, how 'bout that Shemp? What DO you suppose he's up to?

Last edited: