Who/whom antecedent -- closest person, or closest noun?

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
One of my betas flagged the following construction (context is that the MCs are seeking a woman named Sonya Halliday and expect to find her here):

"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to a woman slumped against the refrigerator who was not Sonya Halliday."

My beta said that it reads as:

"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to a woman slumped against [the refrigerator who was not Sonya Halliday]"

i.e., that the "who" clause is attached to "refrigerator." She suggested moving "who was not Sonya Halliday" to after "woman," as such:

"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to a woman who was not Sonya Halliday slumped against the refrigerator."

But to me, that reads as

"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to a woman who was not [Sonya Halliday slumped against the refrigerator]"

as if they expected to find Halliday slumped like that, rather than

"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to [a woman who was not Sonya Halliday] slumped against the refrigerator"

as it should read.

I have trouble reading my original sentence incorrectly, because to me the "who" pronoun implies the antecedent is the closest person rather than the closest noun. But I do confess that if I replace it with a person:

"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to a woman slumped against a man who was not Sonya Halliday."

it does indeed introduce ambiguity.

I have a feeling I should just leave the original and let my editor flag it if necessary, but I find myself obsessing about it instead of editing, so . . . fellow grammar nerds, thoughts? :D

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to a woman slumped against the refrigerator. A woman who was not Sonya Halliday."

:D

:hi:
buzhi, my sweet!

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com

"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to a woman slumped against the refrigerator. A woman who was not Sonya Halliday."

Well, yes, or you can go on and come up with all sorts of better solutions . . . ;)

Thanks guys. :) I think I'm going to steal SWest's suggestion, but I'm still interested should any discussion ensue.

Sedjet

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I read it the way you intended it, because wouldn't a fridge be a "that", not a "who"?

I would leave it to the editor to decide too, although SWest's change is better anyway, in my opinion.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Belinda is right. "Who" and "whom" refer to people not to inanimate objects or animals; although some people think of some animals as people.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile and attached to a woman, slumped against the refrigerator, who was not Sonya Halliday."

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Belinda is right. "Who" and "whom" refer to people not to inanimate objects or animals; although some people think of some animals as people.

I think it's a matter of whether the animal is being treated as a being, individual, or character in the narrative or not, or if it's (as I did just here) being treated as a sort of indistinct prop or automaton in the setting.

A generic dog, for instance might be an it and a that, not a he/she or a who/whom.

But a dog with a name and a personality is a he/she and a who/whom most definitely, except perhaps in the most formal and distant of narrative styles.

The dog, which is brown, is barking.

Wiley, who is brown, is barking.

The convention (in English, at least) of animals being treated as inanimate objects instead of beings with gender and personality arose (I'm guessing) from the now-discredited idea that they are soulless automatons with no consciousness or subjective experiences of their own existence.

This is a pretty strange idea to most English speakers these days. I remember being at a vet clinic once and a woman was there with an adorable puppy (who was male). She was talking to the technicians about the dog's vaccine schedule and so on, and the weirdest thing was she kept referring the the little guy (her own pet) as "it."

"So I should bring it in again in four weeks for the next booster?" etc.

It was really strange, and everyone in the waiting room was staring at her, and the technicians kept referring to the puppy as "he" and frowning uncertainly during the conversation. It's the only time I've ever witnessed someone referring to their own animal as an "it." Though when I was a kid I had a friend whose dad could never keep the gender of their family dog straight (went back and forth between calling him "he" and "she.")

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To my eye, it's kind of ungainly even if it's correct. There are lots of ways to make it "gainly."

...sprawled over the ceramic tile, a pair of stumpy legs attached to a woman, slumped against the refrigerator, who was not Sonya Halliday."

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
To my eye, it's kind of ungainly even if it's correct. There are lots of ways to make it "gainly."

...sprawled over the ceramic tile, a pair of stumpy legs attached to a woman, slumped against the refrigerator, who was not Sonya Halliday."

That's the full answer, but the OP didn't ask that one. I would change it even more, but it's also a matter of style.

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com

Ack! The bigger question for this thread is -- WHICH MARYN IS THIS?!

She didn't specify so I don't know! :D

slhuang, who enjoys Maryn's signature lines :)

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I understood your original sentence exactly as you intended it the first time I read it. Unless you're writing a Brave Little Toaster story, appliances are thats, not whos.

You might ask your beta whether s/he misunderstood the sentence or was merely concerned that other readers might. It would surprise me if any readers would parse it the way your beta suggests, but perhaps your beta is a surprising person. :)

If you feel the need to disambiguate, I would go with the commas guttersquid suggested rather than moving the phrase.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, no signature line? Please forgive my oversight.

Maryn, on her knees rather than sprawled on ceramic tiles

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

:hi:
buzhi, my sweet!
Now you've done it! You've added a Sentence Fragment! :rant:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Now you've done it! You've added a Sentence Fragment! :rant:

"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to a woman slumped against the refrigerator. She was not Sonya Halliday."

;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I seem to have lost my first post?

Anyway, I seem to be in the minority that I read it immediately as the refrigerator who was not Sonya Halliday. Even though I know logically that an object cannot be a "who" and can reinterpret it after the first read, why would you make my brain do the work of being logical and fixing the sentence for you, when you could just fix it and give me a smooth reading experience?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If you feel uncertain about the relationship of noun to referencing pronoun, you probably have a sentence structure problem. Find a clearer way to express what you intend.

caw

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Grammatically, it's ambiguous; it could refer to either. "Who" does not work like "she" attaching to "the nearest". But "slumped against the refrigerator" is long enough that the reader is going to forget the possibility of attaching it to anything before that. "A woman in a skirt who was not Sonya Halliday" doesn't get read as a skirt not being Sonya, because "in a skirt" is short enough. You can make sentences that are grammatically correct that yet are bad because they strain a reader's short term memory.

Dante

Quite Laconic
Registered
Reaction score
You might get rid of the ambiguity by using the phrase "unknown woman" and removing "who was not Sonya Halliday".

"...saw a pair of stumpy legs sprawled over the ceramic tile, attached to an unknown woman slumped against the refrigerator."

apchelopech

Registered
Reaction score
I quite like the idea of a refrigerator not called Sonya Halliday. We can speculate on what it might have been called.

But to be serious a mo, the words 'slumped against the refrigerator' in the OP surely constitute an adjectival phrase, making it tolerably clear that they describe the woman and not the fridge. Purely as a matter of interest, here in Bulgaria where they speak Bulgarian that phrase would typically be put before 'woman', so it would read 'a slumped against the refrigerator woman who was not Sonya Halliday'. It's a commonly to be encountered error :))) in translation from Bulgarian into English, though I've often thought it a pity that, with some limited exceptions, we're not allowed to do that.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I quite like the idea of a refrigerator not called Sonya Halliday. We can speculate on what it might have been called.

But to be serious a mo, the words 'slumped against the refrigerator' in the OP surely constitute an adjectival phrase, making it tolerably clear that they describe the woman and not the fridge. Purely as a matter of interest, here in Bulgaria where they speak Bulgarian that phrase would typically be put before 'woman', so it would read 'a slumped against the refrigerator woman who was not Sonya Halliday'. It's a commonly to be encountered error :))) in translation from Bulgarian into English, though I've often thought it a pity that, with some limited exceptions, we're not allowed to do that.

It is permissible for you to call a refrigerator Sonya Halliday if you wish to.