Status
Not open for further replies.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I think this belongs in this area of the forums, if not, feel free to put me where I belong. :)

I'm formatting a non-fiction book for epub and mobi. It is an 1850s true crime. I have some images that are page size. Two maps and a picture of a gallows, so they are taller than they are wide.

For POD I have no problem, as I've done that before, but I'm not sure how to handle it in an eBook because of the flowing text aspect. I think my other images should be fine if I mingle them throughout the text and the text will flow around because they are smaller, but with a tall image will I end up with large blank spot of no text before the image comes up?

In the POD version I have most of the images together in the middle of the book, the smaller ones, two on a page. Will it work better to put the images together in the middle of the eBooks too? Put them at the end instead of the middle and include a list of illustrations after the table of contents?

I found the Resources section of the self-publishing threads quite helpful for general eBook formatting but the bulk of what I find seems to be geared mostly towards fiction.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

It's going to depend on the ebook reader and the file format.

For the Absolute Visions anthology I used resizeable images for the ePub file for the iPad/iPhone since you can zoom.

For the Kindle file/mobi/azw I used images that would fit on a single kindle screen of the smallest unit, and I placed them on an individual page for each image with just the image and a caption.

I also made sure they looked as good as possible in gray scale.

Were I doing this for non-fiction and Kindle, I'd put the actual images at the end of the book and link to them in text where appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If you're doing a standard EPUB ebook then text and pictures can't go side-by-side, so any pics you insert will break up the text - just wanted to make sure you realised that as you said 'the text will flow around'. Any picture you put in, you won't be able to have text running either side of, just above and below.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Yes, Torgo,text running above and below. I should have stated that better. Thank You.

Thank you, Medievalist, individual pages with a link in text, very good idea, and re-sizable images. Is there a resource you can suggest that tells me how to create a resizable image? HTML coding I imagine?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.