The Avengers

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I feel the same about the X-Men. Storm and Jean by themselves render most of the other X-Men useless. Telekinesis and telepathy + throwing lightning and tornadoes at people = why do we need you other fools again?
Heh.

But that's actually something I've always enjoyed about X-Men. They aren't just plainly powered. Storm's abilities require open space. She can' just generate lightning bolts in a living room. And Jean Grey's power stems from a being or personality that isn't really under her control. I think the X-Men and related storylines do that sort of "consequence" very well, and the movies seemed to get some of that (oversimplified, IMO, but at least they tried). That's what makes Rogue such a favorite for me. More so in the comics than in the movies.

Back on the rails, I want to give the crowds a week to die down just a bit. Next weekend, I hope.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Saw it today - worth all the raves.

For whoever asked about the 5 yr old - mine got a little squirmy during some of the non-action sequences, but he was pretty much rapt the entire time. (And would've been duly wrestled into submission otherwise ;)) According to him, nothing was too scary either.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Saw it today. Joss Whedon did a fantastic job tying all the threads of the previous films into a coherent whole. And yeah, the audience laughed a lot at various points. The "Loki vs. Hulk" face-off near the end was hysterical. But then Joss Whedon knows his snark.

The easter egg at the very end of the credits was great.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Captain America was especially good, and had a lot of fun little nods to Golden Age comics. Plus, there's nothing like the combination of WW2 and super-science.

See, I didn't like Captain America so much, but the things you mention are what made it tolerable for me. I did like Hugo Weaving quite a bit. :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Sorry guys. I read somewhere the 2nd trailer scene was only in the u.s. release. It was a consolation prize for the release being a week later here or some such.

Pfft - we don't get consolation prizes when it's the other way round. *mutter mutter mutter*

:(

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We heard there was a scene after the credits, so we sat through them and got....nada. :(

Same here. Maybe they cut it in the UK version?

Sorry kids, it does appear the Easter-egg-AFTER-the Easter-egg was limited to the U.S. prints. It's almost an outtake in terms of actual significance, but there is a story behind why it was shot, but you should only read it IF you have seen the movie.

Many who had seen The Avengers just days earlier couldn’t fathom the concept: Marvel was shooting a new scene two days after the Hollywood premiere? Wha ….?

Lo and behold, The Avengers did have another post-credits scene in the works, and EW learned all about it when we interviewed Whedon and the rest of the superhero cast for the exclusive roundtable discussion that would become last week’s cover story.

That conversation answered a few burning questions, among them: how was Chris Evans going to recreate Captain America, since he not only had a buzz cut now (easily fixed with a wig) but he had a full beard — and still did a day after shooting? (That, obviously, is not so easily fixed.)

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/04/backstory-avengers-secret/
Magnificent!

"I am a god. I will not be bullied by..."

That one had 'em ROFL and doing spit-takes. :ROFL:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Looking forward to this, but I've been wanting to ask, am I the only one who thinks Hawkeye and Black Widow look pretty damn useless in these trailers? I mean, you've got the ever-loving Hulk, the god of thunder, Tony Stark and his array of high-tech weaponry, and Captain America who, all right, doesn't bring as much offensive firepower as the ones aforementioned, but he provides tactical combat leadership and he's at least beefed up on superhero steroids.

Then you've got the dude with the bow and arrow and the gal with the pistol. What the hell do they do: make bagel-runs? I'm sure they'll have an important role and prove themselves worthy to stand beside the others and blah blah blah, but come on now. How are those two not superfluous?
To quote the guy in the purple skirt, from Avengers #174:

"That depends on whether you're judging by raw power or skill, Collector! I may not be much in the first category! On the other hand...in the second...Hawkeye is the best there is!"

EmmersonGrant

Lawful Good
Registered
Reaction score
It premiered here on the 27th and I snagged tickets to the 10:30pm show and it did not disappoint.
It is, bar none, the best movie I've ever seen. The dialogue, the nods, the interaction between characters. Puny God and GTFO Thor were the moments when I laughed until my stomach hurt.

I saw it once with my wife and then we took the kids to see it (11 an 8) in Spanish (loved the dub). I'm thinking a third viewing in 2D is required, 'cause 3D is still too dark in some parts.

DC, this is how you do a superhero team movie. Well done, Marvel. Well done.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to see this again, once the crowds die down a bit. It was great to see it with the crowds but there were a couple of points where some of the dialogue got drowned out by the laughter. But then, I'm the type of person who re-reads books I liked, once for the overview of the plot, then again to get the details.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this on opening night and really enjoyed it. I hadn't seen Thor so I had some questions about his character and Loki, but other than that...really enjoyed it. I loved it when Capt'n America would "get" references from his era lol, poor guy coming into the future without a clue. :D I was a little antsy about all the 'heroes getting together, but Whedon did a good job of that.

I did think the build up was a bit...much, but eh its Joss Whedon - that's to be expected, no?

MVK

Registered
Reaction score
I'll join in the chorus. The movie was excellent. I'm glad I saw it with a full theather because the crowd's reactions enhanced it. But I'm looking forward to seeing it later where I can hear everything.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from it and all I can say is that the Avengers just assembled in my pants.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from it and all I can say is that the Avengers just assembled in my pants.

---

You say that like it's a good thing.:D

(It is, isn't it?).

No, the movie did not disappoint in any way, shape, or form. What I liked most among the great special effects, the humor (Hulk vs Thor and Hulk wiping the floor with Loki, among other great moment) almost--but not quiet--parodied a lot of the lines from the Marvel comics, and the characters were really well-defined in terms of how they rolled. Disparate in their reasons for fighting, yes, but it worked.

Some people I've spoken to didn't really like Black Widow as she is the weakest of all the superheroes in that she has no awesome powers to Hulk out or use a magic hammer or doesn't have superstrength, speed, etc. etc. Eye-candy, or so they said. However, she does have the martial-arts skills and gives balance to the whole thing. Sure, Scarlett is pretty with a killer bod but she played her part extremely well and the scene with Loki actually made me think of Jodi Foster 'interrogating' Hannibal Lecter. Clever touch and superbly done by both actors.

Cannot wait for the sequel. (The Dark Knight gets first dibs on my cash, though).:)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get people whining about Black Widow. I thought she was a big highlight in the movie. Previous movies had her as window dressing, but they gave her some meat this time around. She owned Hawkeye.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I don't get people whining about Black Widow. I thought she was a big highlight in the movie. Previous movies had her as window dressing, but they gave her some meat this time around. She owned Hawkeye.

In the first full trailer, they show the "circling up the wagons" scene with Hulk, Iron Man, Cappy, Hawkeye... Each one prepping for the final battle... and right there with them is Black Widow with a 9mm. It begs (screams) the question "Why the fuck is she in the middle of this?"

Two things Joss Whedon does fantastically is team regular old mortals like Xander or Wash and give them both a reason and a way to be integrally vital to the survival of the supers they're with.

The scene with Loki did more than show that she was a capable member of the group -- as she said afterward, it showed why she had to be there, why she HAD to fight, underpowered champion though she was: she had been emotionally compromised. She needed to clean her slate.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
The complaining has to be coming from people ignorant of Black Widow's comic history, as she's not just a plain human with excellent training. Black Widow's physical and mental abilities - notably her speed, agility, reflexes, stamina, recall and concentration - were enhanced slightly beyond human limits through unspecified secret technologies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Saw it and loved it. Laughter and cheering in the cinema. I'd like to watch all the Marvel movies before I rewatch The Avengers, since I missed a few. Anyone know what the chronology is? I'd like to see Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, The Hulk, Captain America, etc.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger

I'm not sure either of the Hulk movies already done lead into Avengers, but the 4 above definitely did.

Iron Man 3 is currently preparing to film this summer.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, KT. I'll line 'em up and knock 'em down. :D It won't be too much of a chore to rewatch the Iron Man movies, that's for sure.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Saw it on Friday and loved it. When I first heard that there was going to be an Avengers movie years back I cringed - I just thought it was going to be a mess. When I heard during development that they were introducing characters not seen in the films before like Hawkeye I cringed again - no way they could handle that *and* make a good ensemble film, right?

Wrong. It's just plain good fun. And it has just the right amount of plot - enough to sustain the action over two and a bit hours, no more. So we don't get annoying plot threads from previous films coming in, or the individual characters all wrestling with stuff inconsequential to the main arc. It keeps it light on its feet and able to just have a good time with the core concept. That's not to say there isn't continuity, but it's not burdened down with making sure every last plot point has been established in previous films.

Plus you could actually tell what was going on in the action scenes. Eat that, Michael Bay! :D

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Thanks, KT. I'll line 'em up and knock 'em down. :D It won't be too much of a chore to rewatch the Iron Man movies, that's for sure.

Don't forget the little scenes at the end of the credits of each, and the short skits in the features. it's a pretty rich little movie universe.