My reluctant prediction for America's future energy needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I write this hoping I am wrong.

[sigh]

I believe that in less than three years, the US will embark upon an emergency program to revisit nuclear power. We will start building atomic plants EVERYWHERE. (Oh, GOD --the horror of it!)

There are currently about 5 dozen plants still in operation in the US. And not one new one has been built since the Three Mile Island incident. Meanwhile, because of ever growing concerns about nuclear waste as well as the hazard from terroroist attacks, there has been a moderate push (not a powerful one, but it's been more than a mere pipedream, especially since 9/11) to slowly decommission ALL of the existing plants, one by one, and safely phase the US out of the entire spectrum of nuclear power.

But now ... Peak Oil is looming soon. And our IMMEDIATE alternatives to oil are looking grim. So I believe the regrettable decision will indeed be made (in less than 3 years) that nuclear is the ONLY way to preserve our current way of life. The power plants will soon be EVERYWHERE, keeping our cities lit and diligently re-charging everyone's gas-free, electric cars every night.

The current 5 dozen will blossom to over 500 before the year 2020. Nuclear will be the only answer.

I most dearly hope I'm wrong. But this is the sad choice I fear we will make.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you're so afraid of Nuke energy, it's proven to be pretty darn safe, and even though the waste is a problem it's not one that can't be dealt with on an inteligent level. My real question would be where did you get the info on the peak oil thing? a geologic survey released a month or so ago basically said that the planet has vast oceans of oil still untouched and evidence suggest that the earth is still producing the black stuff. There is no oil shortage. The prices are being manipulated by speculators, the oil cartells, and the damn war.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
There's already plans for a nuclear plant being built here by the year 2010. And we live on a fault line!

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not sure why you're so afraid of Nuke energy, it's proven to be pretty darn safe, and even though the waste is a problem it's not one that can't be dealt with on an inteligent level. My real question would be where did you get the info on the peak oil thing? a geologic survey released a month or so ago basically said that the planet has vast oceans of oil still untouched and evidence suggest that the earth is still producing the black stuff. There is no oil shortage. The prices are being manipulated by speculators, the oil cartells, and the damn war.

I think I missed this info. Can you explain more, please? I'm especially mystified over how the planet is producing more of it.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
There's already plans for a nuclear plant being built here by the year 2010. And we live on a fault line!

Then the honor goes to your community to have what is (I'm pretty sure) the very first new Nuke to be built in this country since TMI.

Congratulations.

[weeps]

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com

There is more oil in this country as yet untapped than most people know.

My husband worked on oil drilling rigs in Oklahoma in the 1980's and they drilled a lot of big wells and then capped them. The oil companies know where they are but most have not been touched.

The Ark-La-Tex region also still has some untapped reserves

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The "fear factor" of nuclear power is largely overblown. TMI, despite the hype, was in fact fairly minor. (Yes, I used to live in PA. I've been past TMI on numerous occasions, and have discussed it with a friend of mine who holds a PhD in Nuclear Engineering.)

Cherynobyl was something completely different, incidentally, as it was in effect a nuclear power plant someone had built inside a normal building. Not a good idea. It'd be like putting a refinery in your basement - different fuel source, same potential for disaster.

The major drawback to nuclear power is the waste produce, which is a legitimate concern and raises issues of storage and such. But overall, the power is far cleaner in terms of current concerns, such as emissions, than other comparable sources in terms of the AMOUNT of power you can produce. Solar, wind, and other such sources are of course cleaner, but don't generate anywhere near as much power.

I'd be quite pleased to see us lean toward nuclear power. At the very least, it would signal a shift in our energy policies away from the things that are going to get us into trouble.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Wind power is another power source; in the last year I know of three wind farms in my home state that are providing power.

I also saw something on television about a device that manufactures power using the waves and currents of the ocean or even the Great Lakes.

Solar power is another option; thirty years ago, the local juco here built one of the first solar cars. Later versions were involved in solar car races around the world, one that I remember well (because I was doing the ads and promo work on the local radio station) was in Australia.

There are a lot of alternatives out there. Someone just has to get with the plan and do something workable with one or more of them.

Tanatra

Burning Bright
Registered
Reaction score
The stars at night, are big and bright...
I have no qualms with the safety issues of nuclear power, but aren't there only limited amounts of Uranium-235 occurring in nature? However, Plutonium-239 can be produced from Uranium-238 (which constitutes 99.28% of all naturally-occurring Uranium), though it is a more involved process than refining [SUP]235[/SUP]U.

Probably the biggest problem with nuclear power is similar to that of windmills; people will advocate their use, but when a nuclear waste disposal facility or windmill farm is proposed in their area, they go into fits of rage about imminent domain issues, disruption of the natural environment, etc.

Solar power is another option; thirty years ago, the local juco here built one of the first solar cars. Later versions were involved in solar car races around the world, one that I remember well (because I was doing the ads and promo work on the local radio station) was in Australia.

Do you have a picture of these cars? I'd like to see them. I didn't know that cars could be completely solar-powered without huge advances in solar cell technology. With the solar energy conversation rates of most cells, they would probably have to be the size of a house in order to power a vehicle.

Last edited:

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
The solar cars were concept cars only. They could get up to 30, or 40 mph, and could carry their driver only. They were so light that there was danger of being blown off the road by big semi trucks going 70 miles an hour.

When I was a lad, the nature magazine I subscribed to had an article about them. That must have been 20 years ago.

There are more modern versions, but I know nought of them.

And for the record, I think nuclear power is nothing to be afraid of. Chernobyl was caused by the deliberate removal of safety features (they were doing some sort of experiment, I think). When you consider how many people die from coal mining, its pretty safe. More people die in coal mine accidents each year than were killed by Chernobyl (anti-nuke people love to exagerate the death toll. Basically anyone who died of cancer in the Ukraine gets counted as a chernobyl victim). Europe and Japan rely heavily on nuclear energy, and have had few serious accidents. The opposition to Nuclear energy in the USA has led us to fall behind in our experience and technology. We already have a big nuclear plant here in MN. I wouldn't mind seeing another one.

And if the oil runs out, there is still lots of coal. Much money and effort has been spent in recent years to improving the efficiency and reducing pollution of coal fired power plants. And of course there is the well known technique of making synthetic oil from coal.

Last edited:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
The solar cars were concept cars only. They could get up to 30, or 40 mph, and could carry their driver only. They were so light that there was danger of being blown off the road by big semi trucks going 70 miles an hour.

When I was a lad, the nature magazine I subscribed to had an article about them. That must have been 20 years ago.

There are more modern versions, but I know nought of them.

One of the universities, I can't remember which, had a school project for their engineers or whatever to design and race solar cars. Their two biggest problems, solar panels are expensive, and they chip.

One of the cars they did get up to 60 mph, but it also cost a million dollars and the solar panels had to be changed out twice in one trip.

I don't think our solar technology is quite ready for mainstream, maybe someday.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2320

A nice graphic and discussion about the equivalent energy sources needed to replace the amount of energy produced by one cubic mile of oil.

It won't be one technology, it will be a combination of solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, tidal, Mr. Fusion, and others, plus harder to tap coal, gas, and oil reserves that we can't get to today or it isn't cost effective, plus a radical shift in energy usage, policy and conservation. Tackle the supply AND the demand in sustainable ways, and you've got the solution.

Keeping ahead of the need is the problem - we're still in a reactive mode. We're not quite in a crisis, so there is time to react and be proactive with long term views on strategic energy usage.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
You mean the USA could soon be like France?

We'll be selling electricity to Canada (and perhaps giving it away to Mexico), and I'm gonna need a Nuke decal for my Tesla Roadster.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Probably the biggest problem with nuclear power is similar to that of windmills; people will advocate their use, but when a nuclear waste disposal facility or windmill farm is proposed in their area, they go into fits of rage about imminent domain issues, disruption of the natural environment, etc.
It's lose lose! Can't build nuclear because people are afraid, can't use wind because people complain about the noise(!), can't use solar because the cells are so expensive, and yet people will yell and scream that something has to be done because they are paying so much for gas.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
I have no qualms with the safety issues of nuclear power, but aren't there only limited amounts of Uranium-235 occurring in nature? However, Plutonium-239 can be produced from Uranium-238 (which constitutes 99.28% of all naturally-occurring Uranium), though it is a more involved process than refining [SUP]235[/SUP]U.

Do you have a picture of these cars? I'd like to see them. I didn't know that cars could be completely solar-powered without huge advances in solar cell technology. With the solar energy conversation rates of most cells, they would probably have to be the size of a house in order to power a vehicle.

I could post one but I have yet to figure out how to post pics here. If someone gives me step by step directions, I would be happy to post a pic!

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website

True enough but the concept worked and could be adapted for a broader use for the general population.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I think it would be better to focus the effort on electric cars, and generate the electricity centrally, which would be more efficient. Not to mention that the infrastructure to distribute electricity is already in place.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
My guess is that we're in for a major reconfiguring of where and how we live and work. For the huge majority of human history, the idea of living in an area where you were 40 minutes from your workplace and 30 minutes from the closest place to get foodstuffs would've seemed absurd. In another 50 years, it may seem just as absurd. The shift will be gradual but definite.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com

You know nuke energy (I like that phrase) has come leaps and bounds since three mile...our older plants are way out of date.

It's a better source...that and hydrogen...we can't rely on bio fuels...we need that land for actual FOOD.

Edit: Solar works better in some places than other...it can't be used by itself. Wind is an excellent source.

Last edited:

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I could post one but I have yet to figure out how to post pics here. If someone gives me step by step directions, I would be happy to post a pic!

1) Put your mouse ONTO the picture (experiment with my "Scully" avatar for practice).

2) Right click.

3) A grey box will appear. Scroll down to the selection called "Properties" and click that.

4) ANOTHER grey box will appear. You want to now HIGHLIGHT the text inside that box which BEGINS WITH the "http" stuf, and then it (usualy) ENDS WITH something like "gif" or "img."

5) COPY THAT HIGHLGHTED TEXT TO YOUR CLIPBOARD (such as by using the hot key command of "Ctrl"/"C").

6) Come back to AW with that stuff on your clipboard and then paste that data into THIS pair of bookend tags:

COLOR]]

Last edited:

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think it would be better to focus the effort on electric cars, and generate the electricity centrally, which would be more efficient. Not to mention that the infrastructure to distribute electricity is already in place.

What does "centrally" mean???? :Huh:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
there is no real danger of impending peak oil.
new research suggests, as mentioned above, that oil is both more plentiful than the chicken littles say and a resource that the earth creates (i.e. we're not just sucking up the remains of a finite number of dinosaurs)
nuclear power is relatively safe now and can be made far safer.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
there is no real danger of impending peak oil.
new research suggests, as mentioned above, that oil is both more plentiful than the chicken littles say and a resource that the earth creates (i.e. we're not just sucking up the remains of a finite number of dinosaurs)
nuclear power is relatively safe now and can be made far safer.

Do you have some resources for the oil resource, William? That sounds like an interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.