Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
mcalvani
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

mcalvani is on a distinguished road
Red face The Author/Illustrator Relationship

Hi all,

I just wrote about the relationship between the author and the illustrator on my blog, Mayra's Secret Bookcase.

If you're interested in the topic, feel free to drop by.

Thanks!

Mayra
mcalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
stace001
Look into my eyes

stace001 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that, Mayra! It was really interesting. It's good to know some publishers are willing to accept an illustrator based on the author's recommendation.

"Books are well or badly written. That's all." Oscar Wilde

WIP Adult Fiction - 51,500/90,000
WIP Adult Fiction - 22,000/85,000
WIP Children's Middle Grade - 6500/40,000
No Experience Necessary- 95,000 completed - submitting
From The Grave - 85,500 completed - submitting
Andy's Attic Adventure - children's chapter book completed - submitting
Fergus and Lucy - children's picture book completed -submitting

www.thesbmgroup.com.au
stace001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
WildScribe
Slave to the Wordcount

WildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Interesting. I was under the impression that the author and illustrator essentially never make contact.
Word total for 2012: 292,394
Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman
WildScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
Hillary
Neural Trailblazer

Hillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My mom and her illustrators (chosen by her publishers) do events together, signings, receiving awards, and even some negotiations with agents and publishers.

And I'm not totally convinced it's such a bad thing for an illustrator to be chosen without the author's input or approval or anything.

I've noticed that authors seem stuck on getting "their" vision of the story captured. The thing is, then you're just sort of rehashing your own thoughts. Booooring. I've seen MUCH more amazing results (seriously, taking a book from "good" to "best seller") if the illustrator has their own ideas. Usually, if it's a big, successful publisher, they will do a great job pairing illustrators and authors. The writer and illustrator will share common ideas, but will take things in markedly different directions.

If your illustrator just sees what you see, you don't add any dimension to your story; you're just adding another flat layer. Sure, it can go awry, but most of the time, I think authors need to get over themselves and realize it's better to have a new voice telling the story rather than just an echo.

Last edited by Hillary; 05-18-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: (((I can't spell, it's an affliction.)))
Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Mr.H.
SO many books!!

Mr.H. is on a distinguished road
I agree. I have no more interest in an illustrator helping me with word choice, than an illustrator would have with my opinions on color choice.

WIPs: (or, WsIP?)
Through Ben's Eyes: (play) Done! Looking for an audience...
Nothing Special: (picture book) Done! Now, Getting published...
Flawless: (novel) Got the first 29 chapters in the bag...

Please click here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s-very-special
Mr.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
possibleimp
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

possibleimp is on a distinguished road
I agree with the last couple of posts. I'd never interfere with an illustrator's creative process, unless they asked me for my ideas or opinions. It is the same way that I ask for critique of my work. A new pair of eyes/ears is always welcome when I'm writing.
possibleimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.H. View Post
I agree. I have no more interest in an illustrator helping me with word choice, than an illustrator would have with my opinions on color choice.
Interesting how different this is from the world of manga, where the artist may ask for changes to the text or outright rearrange the author's suggested paneling/stage directions and the author may ask for changes to the art or outright veto certain character designs or panels.
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote