Writers Book Publishing Agency

smnoreen

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about it?? I have searched the forums and didnt come up with anything. I just got an e-mail requesting work but I have already had a run in with new york lit agency (they didnt get any money) so now I am leary...what is the best way to find out about a company?? I will do some research but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Who are they? Where did you hear about them? Do they have a website? Help us help you.

Also, it's much better to research agencies before you query rather than after. Keeps you from wasting your time.

smnoreen

Registered
Reaction score
yea...I know that now. Guess who signed the e-mail??? Mrs Sherry Fine. It was just another branch of the New york lit agency. Sigh>>>

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It's Bobby Fletcher again, under yet another name. Have you ever wondered why he has to change the name of his "agency" so often?

Word is that he's now steering people to Strategic Book Publishing, a vanity press owned and operated by -- you guessed it -- Robert M. Fletcher.

Same deal as WL Writer's Literary Agency, New York Literary Agency, Stylus Literary Agency, ST Literary Agency, Sydra Techniques, The Literary Agency Group, Children's Literary Agency, Poets Literary Agency, Christian Literary Agency, the Screenplay Agency, and so forth and so on ....

Go find a legitimate agency. This guy is still bad news.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
It's Bobby Fletcher again, under yet another name. Have you ever wondered why he has to change the name of his "agency" so often?

Word is that he's now steering people to Strategic Book Publishing, a vanity press owned and operated by -- you guessed it -- Robert M. Fletcher.

Well, he's desperate for sales to show on his sites. So if anyone wants to avoid being ripped off, don't just avoid agents that charge fees, but also avoid any that can't show legitimate sales to reputable royalty-paying commercial publishers.

smnoreen

Registered
Reaction score
I was really leary when they would not show a list of authors that they have published. I just looks at Ted Weinstien lit.agency, and he has a list of authors on his sight he also recommends new authors come to the aw sight...so that sound legit to me. I just need to read more carefully. But thanks to you all for the info...Good luck with your work and Happy writing

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.writersbookpublishingagency.com/

Any more incestuous and it'd be, uh, self-pollinating.
whistle.gif

junebug

Registered
Reaction score

Same deal as WL Writer's Literary Agency, New York Literary Agency, Stylus Literary Agency, ST Literary Agency, Sydra Techniques, The Literary Agency Group, Children's Literary Agency, Poets Literary Agency, Christian Literary Agency, the Screenplay Agency, and so forth and so on ....

Who is Bobby Fletcher?
I know there is only one book published by strategic book publishers so far, but the book is on amazon, and the guy has been on Oprah's radio show. Hmmm...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Who is Bobby Fletcher?

He's someone who has done business under a variety of business names (and perhaps under a variety of pseudonyms) and about whom there have been many complaints.

I know there is only one book published by strategic book publishers so far, but the book is on amazon

That doesn't necessarily mean the publisher is reputable. All you need to do to get a book on Amazon is to fill out the proper forms and pay a nominal yearly fee.

and the guy has been on Oprah's radio show. Hmmm...

If you're talking about Don Sutton, he wasn't on the show because of his book; he was on the show because of the success of his Northern Oregon anti-methamphetamine program.

The fact that Mr. Fletcher was able to get Mr. Sutton, whose work in creating a grassroots organization to combat drug addiction is indeed very impressive, to publish with him is certainly a testament to Mr. Fletcher's sales skills with prospective authors (especially those who don't know much about the publishing industry).

If you have a story as interesting as Mr. Sutton's, I guarantee you you will be able to find a better publisher.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I found this one via a Google ad that I clicked through out of curiosity:

http://www.writersbookpublishingagency.com

LOTS of red flags. My favorite is the vague information on the page about the supposed authors they represent. They use first names only; why wouldn't you list out full names and book titles?

I ran a search here and nothing came up so I figured I'd add it in, just in case someone clicks the ad and actually seriously considers them. I checked the domain registration and it's protected but it was only registered in April.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I believe this is the agency formerly known as The Writers Literary Agency. Though they have renamed themselves, one thing does stay the same.

Quite frankly, they suck. They're a scam. And the only thing they'll do is hinder your bid to be published.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Writer Beware has received documentation that this agency is indeed the newest incarnation of WL Literary Agency, ST Literary Agency, New York Literary Agency, Children's Literary Agency, Sydra Techniques Literary Agency, etc., etc., and so forth.

Here's the current "Alert" that is up on Writer Beware regarding this company. You'll also find them in the "Thumbs Down" Agency list.

Writers' Literary Agency / WLA (formerly The Literary Agency Group)

The Literary Agency Group, a business controlled by Robert M. Fletcher of Boca Raton, Florida, changed its name in February 2007 to Writers' Literary Agency & Marketing Company (a.k.a. Writers' Literary Agency, WLA, or WL Writers' Agency).

This umbrella group includes the following:
WL Children's Agency
WL Poet's Agency
WL Screenplay Agency
Writers' Literary & Publishing Services Company (the editing arm of the above-mentioned agencies)
Other current businesses or websites that Writer Beware believes are associated with Writers' Literary Agency, based on referrals and website content:
Writers' Book Publishing Agency
Children's Book Publishing Agency
Poetry Book Publishing Agency
Screenplay Writers' Agency
Global Book Agency
Eloquent Books (offers pay-to-publish contracts)
Strategic Book Agency
Strategic Book Publishing
Strategic Book Marketing
Other names the business has used include Sydra-Techniques, ST Literary Agency, Stylus Agency, Children's Literary Agency, Christian Literary Agency, New York Literary Agency, Poet's Literary Agency, The Screenplay Agency, and My Editor Is A Saint (an editing company).

Since the business began operating in 2001 under the name Sydra-Techniques, Writer Beware has received hundreds of complaints and advisories of fee-charging, editing referrals, and other questionable practices. We're not aware that the company has a significant track record of commercial book or script sales under any of its names.

Writers who have had trouble with Robert M. Fletcher or any of the above-named businesses, and who are or were residents of the state of Florida, please get in touch with Ann Crispin at [email protected] (or [email protected], if the AOL address bounces), even if you have previously contacted her. Please provide complete contact information. Thanks for your cooperation.

Writers should get in the habit of checking Writer Beware Alerts and the "Thumbs Down" lists, as well as Preditors and Editors, BEFORE querying an agency or submitting their work.

I know I sound like a broken record...

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
There is, and has been, an ALERT up on Writer Beware for people who have had problems with Writers Literary Agency, Strategic Book Publishing, Eloquent, New York Literary Agency, S.T. Literary Agency, WL Children's Literary Agency, WL Screenplay Agency, The Literary Agency Group, Global, or any of the other Robert Fletcher owned "agencies" or "publishing companies."

Just go to www.writerbeware.com and it's right there on the front page

Gives contact info, etc.

If you have had problems, please check out this ALERT.

-Ann C. Crispin

Chair, Writer Beware

www.writerbeware.com

tandrews

Registered
Reaction score
Legit agency?

Does anyone know a legit agency in GA? I almost got scammed by the Writers Book Agency. :tongue I would love any help!

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
The great majority of legit literary agencies are in NY, though there are some reputable agencies in other places. Is there a particular reason you're looking for one in GA (that's Georgia, right?)? Usually you want the agents to be close to the editors and publishers, rather than close to you.
-Barbara

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know a legit agency in GA? I almost got scammed by the Writers Book Agency. :tongue I would love any help!

This highly reputable agency is based in Georgia http://www.knightagency.net/about/

It really doesn't matter where your agency is based so long as they have a record of selling books similar to yours to reputable advance-paying publishers and they love your work

Sobel318

Beta Readers!
Registered
Reaction score
WB Agency (Writers Book Pub Agency: moved to WLA subforum)

I got an email a few days ago from a 'WB Agency' and the only information that I can determine is that the VP is named Sherry. They are known as the 'Acquisitons Team' and I'm confused, because I can't find a website for them (writersbookpublishagency@....) but they've given me a phone number for a Mark?
Am I just being paranoid at this point, or is this legit?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Sherry Fine and Mark Bredt.

Mark is named in the Florida Attorney General's suit. Sherry doesn't exist.

It's a total scam. Write to the Florida Attorney General with copies of all the correspondence.

Nya RAyne

On the verge of greatness
Registered
Reaction score
In a house on a corner, next to this old lady and

I know this is a little late, but I wanted to say thank you. It was your comments that saved me when I was shopping my first MS around and these jokers wanted to sign me. They had only read like 3 chapters and all of a sudden I'm getting a contract. When I told them that I wanted to speak with my attorney, they got really adament about me not doing that. It felt weird from the get go, but it was your posts that forced me to make that hard decision and turn my back on them. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Nya RAyne

On the verge of greatness
Registered
Reaction score
In a house on a corner, next to this old lady and
I got an email a few days ago from a 'WB Agency' and the only information that I can determine is that the VP is named Sherry. They are known as the 'Acquisitons Team' and I'm confused, because I can't find a website for them (writersbookpublishagency@....) but they've given me a phone number for a Mark?
Am I just being paranoid at this point, or is this legit?

RUN!!!!!!

tricon7

Adventure writer
Registered
Reaction score
Is this agency valid?

I got an email from "Writer's Book Publishing Agency" today (here):

http://www.wlwritersagency.com/

I filled out their online form a few weeks ago, and they said they'd like to represent me. They gave me a name and # to call if I wish, and in their email they say they don't charge a fee unless I sell the book, and they get 10% if they sell to a publisher. They're wanting the rest of the manuscript to be sent to them.

I haven't see this exact name in the "Beware" listing, but considering all the scammers, I'm naturally leery - particularly if they're in any way associated with Robert Fletcher. Their email suffix is "Writersbookpublishingagency.com."

I don't want to reject an authentic request from a real agency, so I came here.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FYI: If an agency contacts you first, odds are excellent it's a scam.

It's good to be leery.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be suspicious of any agency offering to represent me based on an online form without seeing any of my work. Of course, requiring a manuscript doesn't completely weed out all scammers (PA asks for an MS), but that's one way to eliminate the most obvious scams.