Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 06:18 AM   #26
Stlight
ideas are floating where they will

Location: where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
Stlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I suppose one might ask if you need an agent to sell to the small publishers she choses to sell to? You might also suggest that I look that up, but creep factor bothering me here.

S
Stlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #27
Repunzel
figuring it all out

Repunzel is on a distinguished road
I met Jodie Rhodes a few years ago at The San Diego Writers' Conference. As a super friendly, outgoing person who sees humor in almost everything, I would have to describe this woman as my polar opposite.

It was very telling to observe the subtle, knowing glances exchanged by other agents when Jodie, who shared a panel with them, spoke. Although Jodie appears to be very successful and has qualified for AAR, if I had to work with her, I would always have a knot in my stomach. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot for keeping her off my list, but the truth is: life is just too short.
Repunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #28
Exir
Out of the cradle endlessly rocking

Exir is a splendid one to beholdExir is a splendid one to beholdExir is a splendid one to behold
From what it seems, she is reputable, but I suspect slightly unprofessional.
"A work of art is useless as a flower is useless. A flower blossoms for its own joy. We gain a moment of joy by looking at it. That is all that is to be said about our relations to flowers. Of course man may sell the flower, and so make it useful to him, but this has nothing to do with the flower. It is not part of its essence. It is accidental. It is a misuse."

-- Oscar Wilde

Exir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #29
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jodie is blunt. But she sells books. She can be cranky, eccentric. But she's a member of AAR. She's very selective in the fiction she accepts and she is not very "humane" in her rejections. But she sells books. And we have a blog-type first-person account of a rather bizarre writing group from a person who was taken to task for his writing in that group, but we only have the blogger's insinuation that his writing didn't deserve such harsh judgment. But she sells books.

If you have thin skin, save your query stamps. If you are writing fiction, she will be extremely picky about writing quality AND equally picky about the type of story she accepts. So, you may want to save your query stamps. She comes right out and says she accepts very little fiction.

Jodie is my agent for a non-fiction project. I queried my fiction, which she bluntly rejected, but she countered with an offer for this non-fiction project. Our relationship is not touchy-feely golly-gee-whiz-you-are-a-wonderful-writer. But it's professional and productive. It's a little unusual because she already had the project in hand and was looking for appropriately qualified authors. And she (apparently) doesn't like to represent much fiction, including mine. She's done fine by me in the non-fiction arena.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #30
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exir View Post

That's my feeling. If you read about 1/4 down on the Reputation page, it appears she shared correspondence from one offering editor with another offering editor?

Looks like she knows what she's doing but may be a bit idioscyncratic. So whether she appeals to you or not is personal taste, I guess, as with all things.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #31
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exir View Post
I was incredibly put off by her website. It was a little harsh, IMO.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #32
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jodie Rhodes set up as an agent in the late 1990's without having had any prior agenting experience. She made some mistakes initially--such as referring writers she rejected to Edit Ink, a dishonest editing service that paid a kickback for referrals--and was slow to make any sales.

However, she was determined, and has managed to establish herself over the past few years. She has a sizeable track record, and is a member of AAR. However, I've received a number of advisories about her (including some from former clients), who report an abrasive personality and domineering behavior. One former client told me that she dropped him after just a couple of months of representation, while his ms. was still under under consideration at several publishers.

I've also gotten reports that she asks for a copying fee. Charging upfront for materials or photocopying is not standard practice among the majority of established literary agents.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #33
Irysangel
She of Many Names

Irysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
She has quite a few legit sales on Publisher's Marketplace - foreign rights, lots of Non-Fiction, some YA, etc. Publishers seem to be good too - Sourcebooks, Harper, etc.

If I were subbing to her, the only thing I would be concerned with is that out of the 29 sales in the past year, only 3 or so were fiction (2 were YA). If she is not moving a lot of fiction, it might not be her area of expertise (and thus might not be a good idea for people to sub to if they write primarily fiction).

www.jessica-sims.com
www.jillmyles.com
http://jessica-clare.com
Irysangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #34
Branwyn
Print release:Sept.1,'09

Branwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputation
I don't know, maybe I had my rose colored glasses on yesterday.
The Upside of Karma
Branwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 AM   #35
revolocard
figuring it all out

revolocard is on a distinguished road
I found Jodie Rhodes in Jeff Herman's guide (though her name doesn't have the -e in the title, but does throughout the rest of the article. Whoops!). Anyway, at first I thought she seemed enthusiastic...then I started getting a different vibe. Something seems a bit overwhelming and arrogant about her interview, which seems to fit in with what everyone else has to say. But, here's some info:
Represents 60% nonfiction, 25% YA/teen, 15% fiction. Number of titles sold last year: 45 Rejection rate: 99.5%

What was my red flag is that when talking about what pitching mistakes writers make, she put actual examples from query letters in the section to laugh at. Now, admittedly, they were pretty bad, but it just seemed very condescending and unsympathetic to writers who are trying to get published.

It DOES seem that if she loves your project, she'll fight for it hard (it's pretty clear she wants literary over commercial in fiction). She seems to have gotten some great deals for clients, like a $200,000 offer for a YA novel.

I'm definitely turned off by her personality, but if you're thicker-skinned and more willing to deal with diva agents to get your book sold, she seems legit and that shining $200 grand offer does look tempting to lustful eyes.
revolocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #36
Nandi
practical experience, FTW

Nandi is on a distinguished road
I received a rejection from Jodie Rhodes today, and even though it was a form rejection it had a stinging feeling. First, she apologizes for not sending a personal, handwritten rejection because of her tendonitis. She continues:

Quote:
There are one of two reasons you are receiving this: the subject matter of your work as described in your query letter was not of interest to me; the writing in the sample chapters did not excite and captivate me.

I ask you to note my use of the words interest, excite, and captivate. They are emotionally charged, highly subjective words. therefore, my rejection does not in any way mean your book is not worthy of publication. It simply means it's not right for me.
In other words, my work is uninteresting, dull and boring. Yup. I get it.
Nandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #37
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The message you took from that form rejection was 180 degrees reversed from what it actually says.
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #38
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
The message you took from that form rejection was 180 degrees reversed from what it actually says.

Yeah. I actually think it's a pretty nice rejection letter.

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #39
darupprecht
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

darupprecht is on a distinguished road
Currently Under Representation

Well... I just received and accepted an offer for representation by her. For a YA book. Partly sent to her because apparently she got a $200K advance for another YA book. Just don't know what it is. I've been really careful not to say anything wrong, and have agreed to change something very minor with the manuscript to please her, but by and large I see a productive working relationship developing. Will let anyone know if this changes! Also... does anyone know what the title for that YA book Jodie happened to get published?
darupprecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #40
Saskatoonistan
Still the wrong side of Saskatoon

Saskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of lightSaskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of lightSaskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of light
I think she is Ms. Snark.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books
Saskatoonistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #41
donroc
Historicals and Horror rule

donroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
She has a thing for George Clooney?

"Chronology is not destiny"
Donald Michael Platt

"If, as Napoleon said, History is a myth agreed upon, let mine be the definitive myth."
Donald Michael Platt

www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page
donroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #42
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatoonistan View Post
I think she is Ms. Snark.
She may be "Ms." Snark, but she is absolutely, definitely not MISS Snark.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #43
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep. Not MISS Snark. Miss Snark used words like "yup" and "yanno." Doubt this agent does or ever would, even in a blog. Not even to use as a cover.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:11 AM   #44
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
She is not Miss Snark.
Atria/Infinite Words

..Bower Lewis
website | facebook
. .......twitter

Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle
Giant Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #45
Repunzel
figuring it all out

"I think she is Ms. Snark.

Our Dearly Departed, Yet Much Beloved Miss Snark She is NOT!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #46
Saskatoonistan
Still the wrong side of Saskatoon

Saskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of lightSaskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of lightSaskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of light
I believe I've caused a controversy. I feel shame.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books
Saskatoonistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #47
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nah, don't worry 'bout it. We're just funnin'. You see, once I called her Ms.Snark and she promptly replied, "It's MISS Snark." He-he.

Besides, I doubt Jodie swills gin out of a bucket or wears very high heels. Then again, I doubt any agent does that. Swills gin out of a bucket, that is. Or maybe they're driven to it after reading their slush pile.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 AM   #48
Repunzel
figuring it all out

Talking Yeah But . . .

"Besides, I doubt Jodie swills gin out of a bucket or wears very high heels. Then again, I doubt any agent does that. Swills gin out of a bucket, that is. Or maybe they're driven to it after reading their slush pile."

Killer Yapp DOES have a pink tam!!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #49
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Let's keep it on-topic, please. Thanks!

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #50
stormie
storm central

Oops. Sorry. I was in one of my silly moods. Too much angst over my writing today.

Okay. Thread back on track.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG