Buying Shoes Online: Zappos Rules!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As usual, our kids had to convince me to even try buying shoes online. They were right in that the selection is vast compared to the best stores, even the ones in large cities. Of course, fit is king, and the first-ever pair I ordered didn't.

However, I learned that each company uses a single last--a fake foot used for fitting purposes--for each size, so if one Nike or Bally fits you, they all will. (Note: sandals may use a different last than closed shoes.) Try on anything a company makes, then order what you want online if the store doesn't have it.

I also learned that shipping returns is easy and free at most sites. Open the box carefully, and if the shoes don't fit, just re-seal it, tape on the return shipping label, and hand it over to UPS.

So anyway, I ordered once, got a too-generous fit, and the return was painless. That's cool. What's not cool is that the place with the lowest price, OnLineShoes, didn't carry the size I needed.

So I bought them from Zappos for five bucks more.

That was yesterday, just before 6:00 p.m. Today at 3:30 p.m., the shoes arrived, having traveled about 620 miles from Kentucky. It's the right pair, in the right size. I didn't pay for fast shipping. I haven't tried them on yet, but still, I'm going to order from them again. Amazing level of service!

Maryn, in awe

Last edited:

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
What's not cool is that the place with the lowest price, OnLineShoes, didn't carry the size I needed.

psssst. Zappos also has a lowest price guarantee. Send them the info and links and they should credit you the difference. I've done it before and they have, just as easily and painlessly as they handle the returns!

I love, love, love Zappos --easy and customer friendly and awesome inventory! My hubby and I wear wide shoes which are near impossible to find any longer in the stores. But with Zappos if the manufacturer makes the wide (or narrow) shoe, they carry it.

No sales tax and free shipping (including return shipping). What's not to love?

I can't remember the last time I went to a shoe store once I started using Zappos..... :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads-up!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the link, Maryn. I just ordered a pair of Ecco shoes and saved about thirty dollars, in addition to saving a trip to the mall. :)

(The shoes I bought were also five dollars less from OnLineShoes versus Zappos.)

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting, will check that out.

I have a couple of Zippos but they just don't fit very well plus my feet get hot.

:D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And eventually your feet run out of lighter fluid and, ah, get heavy?

Maryn, awaiting your groans

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I just saw this and my first thought was:

Oh no!

Maryn, suddenly spammer.

:D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty much a total shill around this joint. Buy Ray's book, buy NeuroFizz's books, buy Aruna's books, buy Uncle Jim's books...

That and 'bid on caramel corn.' I'm lucky you all let me stay! Although I do make fine caramel corn, so that's probably it.

Maryn, spamtacular

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I love Zappos. I have hard-to-fit wide feet. When I'm trying a new shoe mfgr I order several different sizesof the same shoe, and return the ones that don't fit.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kid Two was here for the weekend, and I noticed his athletic shoes were both popping stitches in the same place. I bought him a pair just like them at 5:30 Monday evening. They were waiting for him when he arrived home at 3:30 the next afternoon. Twenty-two hours, possibly less.

Maryn, thunderstruck

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought stuff from both Zappos and OnlineShoes and have been satisfied with the results at both.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Go through either FatWallet or ebates for 6% cash back on Zappos.

Shoes rock! :)

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
EBAY!

You can buy NWT (new with tags) or NWOT (new without tags).

As long as you know your size, you are good to go. I buy new birkenstocks there for 20 bucks at least once a year. I search for birkenstock 9 or birkenstock 42 (the european measure) and then I just buy new ones.

P

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Zappos love continues. Ordered mid-day Sunday, on a holiday weekend for most Americans (Presidents' Day). Shoes arrived in twenty-one hours, on the holiday. Alas, I'm not wearing socks and won't try 'em on until I am.

Maryn, who bought men's wingtips for herself

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
UGH, how dare you do this to me in a time where I'm trying to control my spending!

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Zappos love continues.
Mine too!

My latest Zappos purchase, some Dr. Marten boots.

931078-p-DETAILED.jpg

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love Zappos!

My sister in law is head of HR in the Las Vegas warehouse and my brother gives me the okay to get new shoes for my birthday once a year. Discount!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
For bargain-hunters, I'd like to point out that zappos.com has a sister site, 6pm.com, where they put their discounted, remaindered shoes. It's Zappos' outlet store, although they don't publicize it much. (At the copyrights at the bottom of 6pm.com's web pages you can see "© 2007-2011 Zappos.com, Inc. or its affiliates. 6pm.com is operated by Zappos Development, Inc.")

It's a great place to hunt for bargains. The selection is not as vast as the main Zappos site -- not all sizes are available, and sometimes there's only one pair of an item -- but the deals are decent, and the rapid service is the same. Although the main Zappos site has some discounted shoes, 6pm.com has lots of items no longer on the main site.

I've been able to get my rapidly growing children shod for pretty good prices.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool - Thanks for the tip - I lurve me some Zappos :)