Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
alyssalynne
practical experience, FTW

alyssalynne is on a distinguished road
Question Average word count for a fantasy novel?

Hi I'm working on my first novel (a fantasy adventure). I'm using a feature length script I wrote as the basic outline for the story which I'm finding very helpful so far. This is all pretty new to me, so I'm wondering what the average word count range should be for a fantasy novel?
alyssalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
sheadakota
part of the human equation

sheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
100K and up is acceptable for a fantasy even for a first time author.

Re-Release of the COYOTE MOON SERIES!
Fallen available print and ebook
Through the Glass Available July 2014
The Coyote's Song- Available August 2014
Socrate's Child-COMING Summer 2015!
Broken - Winter 2015

Center of the Storm-

My Website

Fallen is a taut, hard driving, edge of your seat thiller.
Michael Wiley, author of The Last Striptease
sheadakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Toothpaste
OUTCAST is out now!!!!

Toothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wouldn't just say "and up". Most agents consider 120 000 the top end even for Fantasy books. Fantasy is the genre that tends to allow for longer works, but for a first time author it is very difficult to sell something over that 120K mark. So unless you want to be the exception to the rule, unless you have a work that is just stunning and every single word counts, I'd keep it no longer than 120 000.

My Website,
Follow Me On Twitter!

Toothpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
alyssalynne

alyssalynne is on a distinguished road
Thank you. What is the minimum range that would be acceptable? Based on my outline and what I've drafted so far, I'm estimating it would be in the 80-85K word range. Is that too short?
alyssalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
Toothpaste
OUTCAST is out now!!!!

Toothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No that is perfectly acceptable, in fact I can hear the cheer going up from all the fantasy agents out there!

(80K is usually the bottom end. You'll see word ranges 80 - 120K typically)

My Website,
Follow Me On Twitter!

Toothpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
badducky
No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.

badducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've heard the magic page number where costs and discounts and distro and earnings magically align is at 362 pages from one publisher.

That doesn't mean anything as far as wordcount, but it gives you some idea of about what range you'd like to be in to make sure your book is as cheap to produce as possible.

This is only at that one publisher, though. Different publishers are going to have a different magic number.

Really, the best thing to do is write the best book you can. Shorter novels get published all the time, as do longer ones. The question is always quality, not quantity.

badducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Can you find a book from that publisher and figure out how many words through page there are on average?
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
MumblingSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #8
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Look at publishers' submission guidelines. That'll spell it out and is the final authority to my experience.

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
DeleyanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
MDSchafer

MDSchafer has earned our admirationMDSchafer has earned our admirationMDSchafer has earned our admirationMDSchafer has earned our admiration
Its also different based on subgenre. Epic fantasy and other "High fantasy" genres are a bit longer, Urban fantasy, not so much.

MDSchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
Straka
Bored Fanatic

Straka is a glorious beacon of lightStraka is a glorious beacon of light
What would you say the average Urban Fantasy is? I'm came out to be 105K

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292707
Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
ink wench
ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Straka, I think that would be fine. Even urban fantasy requires worldbuilding. In my limited experience, the range seems pretty much the same for urban and epic.

An0ther L1ttle P1ece 0f My Heart
(Harlequin Teen)- December 2013

Twitter * Website
ink wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
Irysangel
She of Many Names

Irysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Actually, I agree that UF skews shorter. Anything over 100k in UF, you're going to have a harder time getting in the door.

My BFF is contracted with Ace, and her contract specifies 95k and not one bit over.

www.jessica-sims.com
www.jillmyles.com
http://jessica-clare.com
Irysangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
badducky
No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.

badducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbadducky is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Even Epic Fantasy skews shorter than you might assume these days.

Pat Rothfuss, and David Anthony Durham turned out some bug-crushers (very, very high quality, well-written bug-crushers both of which I give two hearty thumbs up...)

Compare that to my book, or Shadowbridge by Gregory Frost, or the DnD novels and media tie-ins that are often the gateway drug to Epic/Heroic Fantasy... Not all of these books are long. Some of them are barely longer than novellas.

Heck, you can pick up the original Elric books in their first printings, and they can't be more than 80,000 words a pop. Seriously, I re-read the first one just because I saw it at the library and thought it'd be fun to re-read. It was. It took less than four hours.

This assumption that epic/heroic fantasy books skew long ought to be investigated further before anyone assumes it's true. I suspect, with just glancing at my bookshelf as evidence, that there's a wider spectrum of word-lengths in epic/heroic fantasy, but one that still averages out in the 80,000 word range on the whole.

Still, I wouldn't mind a number-cruncher to prove me wrong. I didn't do anything scientific to reach my result.

badducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #14
SnowtheWolf
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

SnowtheWolf is on a distinguished road
Here are a few word counts I did when trying to figure out when to stop.

The formula I used was #words=#pages X lines on full page X 9 (came from Writer's Digest I think).

Dune - 207,045
Neuromancer - 97,907
The Hobbit - 92,907
1984 - 86,040
Childhood's End - 79,920
Brave New World - 68,742
The Mad God's Amulet - 51,120 (which btw, is about the same as the Elric novels Canadian editions)
The Word For World Is Forest - 48,672
Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #15
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might want to use word counts from books younger than say 30 years?

Publishing has changed,sadly. Most of my fave books would never get published today

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #16
SnowtheWolf
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

SnowtheWolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
You might want to use word counts from books younger than say 30 years?

Publishing has changed,sadly. Most of my fave books would never get published today
LOL, Point taken
Old 06-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #17
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
You know I hate to be a dissenting voice here because I agree that over about 120k is getting difficult but.....

A couple of weeks ago an acquiring editor from a decent-sized UK fantasy publisher came to talk to my writing group and he took the view that longer is better (with the caveat that it has to be well-written).
Maybe that is just for this publisher.
I think I still believe that you should keep it below 120k, but it is not cut and dried.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:00 AM   #18
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
The raw word count is 100k.

But without the words "winter," "harsh," "sword," "chalice," "lord," "oath," "enchanter," "bide," "farewell," "sorrow," and "blade," it's 85k.

Read This Blog!: http://theswordthatnagged.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Smiling Ted; 06-27-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Smiling Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #19
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
You know I hate to be a dissenting voice here because I agree that over about 120k is getting difficult but.....

A couple of weeks ago an acquiring editor from a decent-sized UK fantasy publisher came to talk to my writing group and he took the view that longer is better (with the caveat that it has to be well-written).
Maybe that is just for this publisher.
I think I still believe that you should keep it below 120k, but it is not cut and dried.
You can get away with more in the UK ( John Jarrold reckons about 140k is average iirc) but it needs to be wonderful as there are so few publishers / agents for fantasy in the UK. They might publish 8 new authors a year for the whole of the country.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just took a sampling from my books, and I must be doing something wrong.

Even the shortest novels were coming out at about 100-120k. I didn't even pick up the Big Fat Fantasy tomes to check.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:02 AM   #21
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
You can get away with more in the UK ( John Jarrold reckons about 140k is average iirc) but it needs to be wonderful as there are so few publishers / agents for fantasy in the UK. They might publish 8 new authors a year for the whole of the country.
Tell me about it. Mine recently received a full set of rejections from the UK publishers
102k in length BTW
Old 06-29-2008, 01:29 AM   #22
childeroland
What happened to my LIFE?!

childeroland is a glorious beacon of lightchilderoland is a glorious beacon of lightchilderoland is a glorious beacon of light
Question

How about historical fantasy (non-epic)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSchafer View Post
Its also different based on subgenre. Epic fantasy and other "High fantasy" genres are a bit longer, Urban fantasy, not so much.
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #23
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
How about historical fantasy (non-epic)?
Keep it below 120k if you can
Old 06-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #24
StephenJSweeney

StephenJSweeney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
Tell me about it. Mine recently received a full set of rejections from the UK publishers
102k in length BTW
Yep. I went through pretty much every agent and publisher of sci-fi and fantasy in the UK too. Mine is complete at 130K, so maybe that's why the US agents didn't even request a partial.
StephenJSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #25
TheWordsmith

TheWordsmith is well-respected
Well, just because I love to roil the pot and make people think outside the box a bit, I came across a word count on some (not really epic) fantasy works by an unknown author. They clock in with some fairly modest as well as some pretty hefty word counts:

257k +
198k +
190k +
169k +
106k +
84k +
77k +

These were all written by the same author. (btw, the whopper at the top of the list wasn't the first book published.) Anyone care to take a guess as to who got away with writing such door stops and still, not only getting published as a complete unknown, but making a career out of it?

Highlight below to find out!

Harry Potter Books
Philosopher’s Stone-77,325
Chamber of Secrets-84,799
Prisoner of Azkaban-106,821
Goblet of Fire-190,858
Order of the Phoenix257,154
Half Blood Prince-169,441
Deathly Hallows-198,227

Last edited by TheWordsmith; 08-07-2014 at 07:34 PM.
TheWordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote