David Copperfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading this book now. Gosh,it's the longest book I've ever read. There's an awful lot of telling rather than showing. Has anyone else read it?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. It's a staple of high school and college reading lists in the US, Canada, and the UK (and perhaps Australia and New Zealand as well).

And the "show, don't tell" philosophy wasn't one that novelists subscribed to in the 19th century. Having the narrator do a lot of telling was considered to be good style in those days (as opposed to today, when it's looked down upon).

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
1) Dickens got paid by the word. Therefore this is not much short Dickens.

2) Telling rather than showing was far more common in the pre-cinematic era.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't just that it was more common--it was considered BETTER style to do a lot of telling than to focus mostly on showing at that time.

Literary style, like styles of all kinds, changes a lot through the centuries.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Dickens may seem old fashioned to today's readers, but if I had one tenth his ability to bring a character or place to life, I'd consider myself a writer.

[We sailed] among the tiers of shipping, in and out, avoiding rusty chain-cables, frayed hempen hawsers and bobbing buoys, scattering floating chips of wood and shaving, cleaving floating scum of coal, in and out, hammers going in ship-builders' yards, saws going at timber, clashing engines going at things unknown, pumps going in leaky ships, ships going out to sea, and unintelligible sea-creatures roaring curses, in and out….

Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Dickens may seem old fashioned to today's readers, but if I had one tenth his ability to bring a character or place to life, I'd consider myself a writer.

[We sailed] among the tiers of shipping, in and out, avoiding rusty chain-cables, frayed hempen hawsers and bobbing buoys, scattering floating chips of wood and shaving, cleaving floating scum of coal, in and out, hammers going in ship-builders' yards, saws going at timber, clashing engines going at things unknown, pumps going in leaky ships, ships going out to sea, and unintelligible sea-creatures roaring curses, in and out….

Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Nice alliterations: chain-cables, hempen hawsers, and bobbling buoys.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Nearly all of Dickens' work was published as serials in magazines, and they demanded a certain length and format, often referred to as a "triple-decker", as I recall. Thus, you get the hefty 900-page tomes in today's printing format. Thackeray, George Eliot and many lesser, now-forgotten writers likewise concocted tales of similar length.

Not all Victorian writers were as prolix with words as Dickens was. If you'd like to read some with styles that seem a little more "modern", you might try Dickens' close friend Wilkie Collins, or the Irish novelist J.S. LeFanu.

caw

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
while doing time in Siberia, Dostoyevsky read this phenomenal novel by Dickens, in addition to the bible.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Not all Victorian writers were as prolix with words as Dickens was. If you'd like to read some with styles that seem a little more "modern", you might try Dickens' close friend Wilkie Collins, or the Irish novelist J.S. LeFanu.

caw

My favorite more "modern" Victorian is Anthony Trollope. Some passages sound more old-fashioned, but some could come out of a (very good) 21st century book.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My current nightmare in terms of length is Les Miserables. It runs along just fine... and then we take a 60 page detour to describe the scene of the battle of waterloo, which just barely touches on the actual story line if you squint just right and turn your head to the side. I've taken to skipping sections to get back to the main story. :p

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite more "modern" Victorian is Anthony Trollope. Some passages sound more old-fashioned, but some could come out of a (very good) 21st century book.

Trollope does indeed rock. He does a lot of telling in that gently wry to trenchant narrative voice of his, but it's like listening to an old friend who's also a great and insightful gossip.

Take the trouble to learn the literary "dialect" of the great 19th century writers: Trollope, Dickens, Eliot, Austen, Hardy, Melville, Hawthorne, Twain, and many others. Why just swim on the surface of literature when you can scuba through all the layers of time? There are amazing creatures and treasures on every level.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
So this isn't about writing novels, either, really. Moving to the book club.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I love Dickens. One of my favourite authors. Great Expectations is on my once a year reading list. He was a champion in his day and I don't think his books have been harmed any by the new 'show, don't tell' attitude. When you know you're reading from another era--or, for me, anyway--you allow for the vastly different styles and trends. I adore his sense of craft. I don't care to take books out of one era and try to wedge them into the standards of another. I enjoy them for what they accomplished in their time and what they are still accomplishing in ours. Dwayne...ignore the longness of the book and just enjoy the unfolding. He told in an era where told was commonplace--expected. He's a great teller.

Shar-Jan

Registered
Reaction score
Dickens wasn't breaking any rules. "Show, don't tell" is a very recent rule. It was not the rule in his day.

I'll be honest, I've never read any Dickens. He's on after Dostoyevski and Kafka (Again). I know a fair bit about his style though, he was quite a break from his contemporaries.

On the reading list at the moment is "The Darkest Streets" which is a book about one of London's worst slums (and good god is that depressing stuff). I want to get into that atmosphere before reading him.

I've seen the old 1950's great expectations, and a few other TV adaptations. I know he's better than even them. And I know I'll love them, I'm saving them for a holiday or something, time to savour them properly.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
If you do read Expectations and like it...it would be worthwhile checking out Anne Rice's Feast of All Saints. Also one of my favs. (NOTHING TO DO WITH VAMPIRES) She is a huge fan of Great Expectations and I see it in this book. It's set in New Orleans and revolves around the free black community. Marcel Ste. Marie is the main character who sets out on a journey to find himself...very Great Expectations-ish.

Sorry for the derail. I always equate those two books. (It's a shame that even the author herself thinks little of that book...I've had the conversation with her, trying to convince her how wonderful it is. I think it could be taught in schools. All she wanted to talk about was vampires. She actually said, "Marcel who?")

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Remember, too, back before the early twentieth century--before radio and television--books were read out loud to family members gathered in the parlor. Or to one in a sick bed. As noted by rugcat and maestrowork, in Great Expectations (as in many other novels written before our time) alliteration abounded. Read it aloud and you can hear the way the words flow. It captured the attention of the those listening to the reader.

Last edited:

tomber

Banned
Reaction score
Funny. I'm reading Bleak House right now. 990 pages! It's difficult, obviously, to keep all the characters and events in my mind. I'm about 400 pages into it and I'm running into memory problems. Why is she happy to see him? Who's that guy again? Why does this guy not like that guy? I have to flip back 200 pages to find the relevant paragraph that'll give me a clue.

I'm reading this after having finished HARD TIMES, which was about 275 pages. He does have some other shorter works, so he didn't always write for $ or the audience's desire for long works. But, yeah, mostly he did.

-Where should I start with Trollope's huge oeuvre? I have a copy of Doctor Thorne around. Is that a good place to start? Which is generally considered his best?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
-Where should I start with Trollope's huge oeuvre? I have a copy of Doctor Thorne around. Is that a good place to start? Which is generally considered his best?

I haven't gotten to Doctor Thorne yet -- this is one of the problems/joys of discovering an incredibly prolific author. I would guess you can begin anywhere, but I started with the first in the Palliser novels, Can You Forgive Her?, which is utterly brilliant. I just finished Phineas Redux and am excited to finish that series.

~grace~

the good old days
Registered
Reaction score
*victorian novel geek-out alert*

er...

Dickens got paid by the page, not the word (slightly different), and he had to write in--if I recall correctly--30 page chunks. (you can sometimes tell how long each of the page-chunks were b/c of where there are major cliffhangers.)

"paid by the word" is a shorthand that bugged the heck out of my Dickens professor (yes, I took an entire class :D). so in her honor I try to spread the gospel.

a shorter Dickens, for anyone who's interested, is Hard Times.

caw

Wilkie FTW

seriously, read the Woman in White. and The Moonstone.

Dickens also has a great knack for naming characters.

Mr. Micawber!

I haven't gotten to Doctor Thorne yet -- this is one of the problems/joys of discovering an incredibly prolific author. I would guess you can begin anywhere, but I started with the first in the Palliser novels, Can You Forgive Her?, which is utterly brilliant. I just finished Phineas Redux and am excited to finish that series.

DEFINITELY READ THE PALLISER NOVELS! and then watch the 1970s miniseries which kicked so much ass. (ETA 1980s? one of those olden-times of scratchy tv)

and THEN read the series that starts with The Warden (it's more church politics, while the Pallisers are more politics-politics). bonus: there's a BBC miniseries (Barchester Towers) that has Alan Rickman and Nigel Hawthorne and Donald Pleasance and Susan Hampshire. you should watch that even if you don't read the books, b/c it has my favorite Alan Rickman performance.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
On the reading list at the moment is "The Darkest Streets" which is a book about one of London's worst slums (and good god is that depressing stuff).

sounds like an interesting book. Tried googling it to no avail. Got an author for it?

tomber

Banned
Reaction score
No. Quit your job. THEN:

DEFINITELY READ THE PALLISER NOVELS! and then watch the 1970s miniseries which kicked so much ass. (ETA 1980s? one of those olden-times of scratchy tv)

and THEN read the series that starts with The Warden (it's more church politics, while the Pallisers are more politics-politics). bonus: there's a BBC miniseries (Barchester Towers) that has Alan Rickman and Nigel Hawthorne and Donald Pleasance and Susan Hampshire. you should watch that even if you don't read the books, b/c it has my favorite Alan Rickman performance.

~grace~

the good old days
Registered
Reaction score
Tomber, I'm sure it is possible to read Trollope AND hold down a job. It must be. He wrote them with a full-time job, so we ought to be able to read them with one, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.