• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

picture.com / International Society of Photography

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I know this isn't about writing, but it's poetry.com related, so I figured I'd post it here. A couple years ago my wife took a picture of her grumpy cat and sent it in. They bombarded her with the usual sales stuff, and then they stopped out of the blue. Hadn't heard from them in ages, and then they sent this (below) to her today.

They run this the same way as poetry.com, only with photography. I'm sure my wife's cat appreciates being an "award winner," but I'm not about to spend thousands of dollars to decorate our wall with proof.

I've edited out personal stuff and the urls for fun.

Date: Tue, April 26, 2005 11:49 am
To: "XThe NavigatorX's Sexy Wife"
Dear Meredyth,

In the past, we informed you that you and your artistic accomplishments could have been honored at the International Society of Photographers Convention and Symposium in the United States capital, Washington, D.C. -- even though you were unable to attend.

Please note that because so many people took advantage of this opportunity, we have extended the time for you to elect to receive your awards, and benefits of ISP membership, provided that you will allow us to present your photo "Dolley" (see your photo here) at our next convention and that you have elected to receive all of the awards and benefits of ISP membership that we have scheduled for you. Your awards, which will be shipped to you at this time, include your custom engraved Outstanding Achievement in Photography Silver Award Bowl (see it here), your bronze Commemorative Award Medallion, and your Full One Year Membership into the International Society of Photographers for 2005.

In this regard, we have arranged for your photographic artistry to be prominently displayed at a future international gathering of photographers. Your photograph, along with your name, will be presented exactly as you created it, so that your artistry receives the international exposure it deserves. In this way, over 1,000 attending photographers and their guests, who come from all over the world to attend the convention, will appreciate your photograph.

And let me tell you a little about the actual awards and ISP membership benefits that you will receive by mail immediately after you confirm your participation in this prestigious event by allowing us to showcase your photo:

-- Your Outstanding Achievement in Photography Silver Award Bowl (a $200.00 value) is a magnificent work of art in itself that measures over 10 inches across and over 11 inches high. It is handcrafted in silver and has your name custom-engraved on a beautiful cherry-wood base (see it here). It is certain to enjoy a special place of pride in your home and will serve as a fitting symbol of your unique photographic artistry.

-- Your bronze Commemorative Award Medallion is a deeply etched bronze medal (a $40.00 value) brilliantly displayed on a 25-inch red, white and blue satin ribbon.

-- And your Full One Year Membership into the International Society of Photographers for 2005 (a $60.00 value) entitles you to a personalized membership card, special discounts and contests, and a free subscription to our quarterly newsletter. Please note, if you are already an ISP member, your benefits will be extended an additional year.

Meredyth, all that's required for us to immediately send you all of these Awards is for you to allow us to formally display your photograph "Dolley" at the next convention. Additionally, because you were not present at our last convention, we must also ask you for the necessary funds ($169.00 plus p+h) to cover the costs of the time and effort required to present your photography before future convention attendees, and to cover the costs incurred in insuring and shipping to you these extremely bulky and heavy awards.

Meredyth, we are, of course, ultimately most interested in meeting you and having you personally present your artistry in front of the thousands of other photographers who attend these live events. Unfortunately, this was not the case, so we're trying to do the next best thing. But we sincerely hope to personally present you with your most deserved awards in the future.

Sincerely,
Craig Foster
International Society of Photographers
Convention Awards Chairperson

P.S. Your Outstanding Achievement in Photography Silver Award Bowl, bronze Commemorative Award Medallion, and personalized membership card, will be shipped to you by Federal Express (your subscription to our newsletter will arrive separately) and will be accompanied by a 100% money back guarantee of your complete satisfaction. If for any reason you're not 100% delighted with your Awards, simply return them any time within 60 days of receipt for a full refund, no questions asked.

P.P.S. You'll also receive a $100.00 gift certificate off the registration of a future ISP convention so that we can formally recognize your photographic accomplishments in person at a date that's convenient to you.

Allow us to showcase your photo here and receive your awards or go to
xxxxxxx (order form).

<snip email removal instructions>
picture.com * 3600 Crondall Lane * Owings Mills, MD

Figured it couldn't hurt to put this up here.

Oh, and poetry.com is a scam too. Run away!

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Thanks, Nav, that's a great way to get the point across. :D

Gnat

So I shouldn't order the book?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been searching for information...the BBB had very little to say. I was really excited when I found out that my picture was going to be published in a photography book. I guess I am still very naive. I was all set to order the book (you do not have to pay to get your picture in the book, only to order a copy) and suddenly a little voice told me to check it out. Has anyone else had an experience with this company? Do these books actually exist? I have a little flicker of hope fluttering in me...

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Do these books exist?

Yes and no.

Say they have a book with 100 photos in it. They offer it to all 100 photographers. Say ten of them order copies. Ten will be printed. Those ten copies will have all 100 photos, yes. But no one who isn't in the book will see 'em.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, they exist only for the contributors who buy them. What's worse, I'll wager that the book you receive will be the same one they've been printing for years; just with your photo stuck on the front page.

That's presuming you receive what you order, of course. There's plenty of complaints about credit cards charged for books/awards never received, the promised replacements never come, etc., etc.

Hyperbole

Addicted to Smilies
Registered
Reaction score
5 minutes outside a town the size of a gnat's nest
They've been doing this for years. About 12 years ago, I sent in a picture of my cat, and lo and behold, mine was selected to be included! I was a starving college student at the time, so didn't have the money to get scammed into buying one of the books, though;)

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I had forgotten about this thread. I hate how you can change the subject, but it doesn't really change the subject unless a mod does it.

sssssssssssssss

Dear Natasha,
It's something we don't often do, but after viewing and discussing your photography, the Editorial Advisory Board of the International Library of Photography has nominated you for membership in the most exciting photography organization in the world--the International Society of Photographers!
The Editorial Advisory Board wholeheartedly agrees that your photographic abilities warrant nomination into the International Society of Photographers--a photographic organization that is world-renowned and dedicated to recognizing photographic talent such as yours. As Chairman, I want to personally inform you about all the new benefits of Membership, and I did not want you to miss out on this opportunity. Natasha, I know that after hearing what we are about, you will join us as a member of our society--the International Society of Photographers!
You'll receive many tangible benefits when you become a member. There are three levels of membership, and I am positive there is one that will fit your photographic needs. Whatever membership category you choose, we look forward to your participation in our organization for many years to come. Click here to see the full list of these very important membership items. Perhaps more importantly, you'll be joining fellow photographers from around the world in one of the largest photography organizations in the world--an organization dedicated to recognizing, awarding, and promoting the photographic talent of our members and . . .
[SIZE=+1]An organization you can be proud of![/SIZE]​
Noted for our charitable contributions and our accomplishments in furthering photographic endeavors, the International Society of Photographers maintains a reputation for bringing photography to more people and to more nations than any other organization in the world.
Whether you take pictures for the satisfaction it gives you, or as a personal way to record the world around you, or as a hobby, through your membership, you and your photography will be recognized by thousands of people from all over the world. Natasha, it's a great feeling to know they're interested in you, and that your photography is being viewed and enjoyed by others.
You'll even have the opportunity to meet and share your photography with other members. As a member, I will extend a personal invitation to our yearly convention, which is known for bringing together photographers of all ages and nationalities who share a common love of photography.
[SIZE=+1]The photographic event of the year![/SIZE]​
This year, our conference in Las Vegas, Nevada, drew photographers from around the world! We believe this to be one of the largest single gatherings of photographers in history. At our conventions, our members have had the opportunity to meet and discuss photographs with National Geographic photographer Steve McCurry, Time Magazine photographer Robert Nickelsberg, and famed rock & roll photographer Bob Gruen. We've been entertained by such acts as The Coasters, The Marvelettes, and Willard Scott, just to name a few . . . not to mention one of the largest single cash prizes of $10,000.00 awarded to a photographer. As a member, you will have a chance to win your share of these cash prizes. No matter what style photography you shoot, you'll find these contests to be exciting and rewarding events.
[SIZE=+1]American Photo . . . An award-winning magazine![/SIZE]​
And what a magazine it is! All members of The International Society of Photographers receive a subscription to American Photo magazine. This magazine covers a lot of what's going on in photography in the United States and around the world. You will love the in-depth stories on photographers and photography, and we hope you will use this magazine to help you grow as a photographer.
Join the International Society of Photographers now, Natasha, and you'll become one of the recognized leaders of your craft. Your friends, family, and colleagues will look to you as an example of experience, vision, and accomplishment in the photographic world. Your society will look to you for your unique perspective as expressed through your photographs. I'm sure we'll soon be seeing you at our annual conventions.
Click here to join us today.
Sincerely,

Craig Foster
Chairman, Board of Trustees
P.S. Natasha, we accept only a limited number of members each year, and by accepting your invitation now, your benefits will begin immediately and you will promptly receive your membership items through the mail. Most importantly, we will welcome you as a member of the largest photography organization in the world--the International Society of Photographers.
Click here to order your membership now or go to
https://www.picture.com/picturebuy/Membership2006.asp?ID=1758991&SC=MEM3
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]This message is intended for [email protected]. You are receiving this email because you submitted a photo to our contest and agreed to receive relevant emails from us. Please do not reply to this message. If you no longer wish us to notify you of events that we believe may be of interest to you, please click here, or go to http://www.picture.com/nl/stopemail.asp.
[/FONT]
picture.com * 3600 Crondall Lane * Owings Mills, MD 21117

i got one too​

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
the nut graf:

We've been entertained by such acts as The Coasters, The Marvelettes, and Willard Scott

SammyB25

I got the email too

When I first received the email that I was invited to join the INternational Society of Photographers, it made me feel great that people thought my work was good enough for something like this. After a few minutes, I decided to do some checking, and this was the first site I came across where I learned this is a scam. I'm glad I didn't put anything on my credit card, and that the insincere flattery didn't go to my head!

amanda sue

scam

I just got the same letter as well. I am a "semi-finalist" in the photography contest and they want money to order the book of photography where my photo will be included. Here's what I found about them on the better business bureau of Maryland website www.http://www.baltimore.bbb.org/nis/newsearch2.asp?ID=1&ComID=0011000000005437

Nature of Business

This company is a vanity press which publishes poems or photographs in anthologies that include the work of many amateur authors. The anthologies are not marketed or distributed by the company; rather authors are solicited to purchase the anthologies and other related products. For additional cost, the company offers participation in various contests, products that feature the work of one individual author alone (self-publishing), membership in the International Society of Poets, etc.

The majority of the complaints received by the Better Business Bureau of Greater MD concerning International Library of Poetry/Photography (ILP) allege delayed receipt or non-delivery of publications. The company has responded to complaints by fulfilling the orders or issuing refunds. According to the company, there are sometimes delays in releasing the books either because they are a compilation of poetry or photography from many authors and the company may sometimes have to delay publication pending receipt of the authors' approval of their work, or, for Post Office delays due to the use of third class mail. The company states it usually takes 4-5 months to print a poetry book and 9 months for the photography anthologies.

Some complaints also allege ILP's advertising is misleading in that it is not clear that they are a vanity press rather than a traditional publishing house. A vanity press publishes an author's work at the expense of the author and typically does not market or distribute their publications. In this instance, the authors' poetry is included in an anthology which they purchase from the company. If the poem does not contain obscenities or racial/ethnic slurs it is generally considered acceptable for publication in the anthologies. There is no restriction on the age of the author. Individuals should not expect the general quality of the work in the anthologies to be of a high caliber.

Some complaints allege authors have received letters telling them they have been nominated as Poet of the Year and inviting them to receive an award at the company's annual poetry convention, for which they would have to pay about $500-600, plus travel and hotel expenses. However, virtually everyone who submits a poem is nominated; the award is not for poetry of merit. That information is not included in the correspondence to the author. Individuals who choose not to attend the convention are encouraged to purchase the awards at a cost of about $190.

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

The Bureau processed a total of 355 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 355 complaints in the last 36 months, 154 of those were closed in the last 12 months."

Hope this helps!

arrangerx

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Chuck,[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the past, we informed you that you and[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] your artistic accomplishments could have been honored at the International Society of Photographers Convention and Symposium in Las Vegas, Nevada -- even though you were unable to attend.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please note that because so many people took advantage of this [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]opportunity, we have [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]extended the time for you to elect to receive [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]your [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]awards[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
6110272133206.gif
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and benefits of ISP membership, provided that you will allow us to present your photo "Brothers" (see your photo here) at our next convention and that you have elected to receive all of the awards and benefits of ISP membership that we have scheduled for you. Your awards, which will be shipped to you at this time, include your custom engraved Outstanding Achievement in Photography Crystal Award Trophy see it here, your bronze Commemorative Award Medallion, and your Full BasicMembership into the International Society of Photographers for 2007. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In this regard, we have arranged for your photographic artistry to be[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]prominently displayed at a future international gathering of[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]photographers. Your photograph, along with your name, will be presented[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]exactly as you created it, so that your artistry receives the exposure[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]it deserves. In this way, hundreds of attending photographers and their[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]guests, who come from all over the world to attend the convention, will[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]appreciate your photograph.[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And let me tell you a little about the actual awards and ISP membership benefits that you will receive by mail immediately after you confirm your participation in this prestigious event by allowing us to showcase your photo:[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
3196396251507.jpg
3194753116254.gif
Your Outstanding Achievement in Photography Crystal Award Trophy (a $300.00 value) is a magnificent work of art made from imported crystal; it is hand-engraved and mounted on a solid marble base. This will be the first time ever we have bestowed these crystal awards. They have been created by artisans that we commissioned specially for this year's convention. This impressive award is so valuable and fragile that we have designed a special carrying case to ensure the protection of your prestigious award.
[/FONT]​

3194753116254.gif
Your bronze Commemorative Award Medallion is a deeply etched bronze medal (a $40.00 value) brilliantly displayed on a 25-inch red, white and blue satin ribbon.[/FONT]

3194753116254.gif
And your Full Basic Membership into the International Society of Photographers for 2007 (a $60.00 value) entitles you to a personalized membership card, special discounts and contests, and a free subscription to our quarterly newsletter. Please note, if you are already an ISP member, your benefits will be extended an additional year.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chuck, all that's required for us to immediately send you all of these Awards is for you to give us permission to display your photograph. Additionally, because you will not be present, we must also ask you for the necessary funds ($169.00 plus p+h) to cover the costs of the time and effort required to present your photography before the convention attendees, and to cover the costs incurred in insuring and shipping to you these extremely bulky and heavy awards.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chuck, we are, of course, ultimately most interested in meeting you and having you personally present your artistry in front of the thousands of other photographers who attend these live events. Unfortunately, this is not the case at this time, so we're trying to do the next best thing. But we sincerely hope to personally present you with your most deserved awards in the future.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Go Here To Have Your Photo Displayed At The Convention! [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Craig Foster[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]International Society of Photographers[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Convention Awards Chairperson[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.S. Your Outstanding Achievement in Photography Crystal Award Trophy, bronze Commemorative Award Medallion, and personalized membership card, will be shipped to you by Federal Express and will be accompanied by a 100% money back guarantee of your complete satisfaction. If for any reason you're not 100% delighted with your Awards, simply return them any time within 60 days of receipt for a full refund, no questions asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.P.S. You'll also receive a $100.00 gift certificate off the registration of a future ISP convention so that we can formally recognize your photographic accomplishments in person at a date that's convenient to you.[/FONT]

Thanks, All, for the information posted. I decided to check out the legitimacy of the email I received, and this thread has been most helpful.

duckie85

Fuming over Photograph Comp Fake!

:rant:Check this letter out I receieved this morning. Really sad :cry: cos I love my photography and I really thought this was a genuine competition. Oh well. I'm thinking it's worth a try us all writing to the addresses on our letters and just writing 'you should be ashamed of yourselves. you are distgusting people.' I'm certainly writing a letter like that.

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]From the desk of:[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jeffrey Bryan, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Managing Editor[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Lucy Porter,[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Craig Foster and I have been discussing your photo, "Alone in beauty," and we are pleased to inform you that you have been nominated to join the International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame. This is a prestigious group of worldwide photographers. They all have one thing in common: Their love and passion for photography and their photographic talent. Your submission caught our eye because it displays your creative skills and dedication to your art. You are the perfect candidate to be included in the 2008 Class of the International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We will be showcasing the talent of some of the members of the 2008 International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame at the International Society of Photographers Convention and Symposium, to be held next spring in Las Vegas, NV. Just imagine your photo, "Alone in beauty," displayed in front of hundreds, if not thousands, of people from all over the world. Don’t you think it’s time to get the recognition you deserve?[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To commemorate this amazing achievement, we are proud to offer you a one-of-a-kind gallery print of your photo beautifully displayed on high quality canvas. This exquisite piece of art is the same quality you see in national galleries all over the world. It will be lightly brushed stroked by our artists to give it the look and feel of an original oil painting. We couldn’t think of a better way to showcase your talent than to create a precious family heirloom that will last for generations to come. Please take a minute to look at all the great features and options for your limited edition print.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] We hope you are as proud of this achievement as we are of you, and that you will want to share this great news with your family and friends. You may even want to get one of these prints for a member of your family or a loved one. We are happy to offer you 50% off each additional gallery print you would like to order. Your talent shouldn’t be hidden anymore, and we want to help you share your gift with the world![/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In addition, because of your elevated status as a member of the International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame, we would like to offer you a $50 gift certificate off the registration fees for the 2008 International Society of Photographers Convention and Symposium to be held this March in Las Vegas, NV. In the past, photographers from around the world have attended these conventions to network and learn from photographic legends, including professionals from Time Magazine, National Geographic, and NASCAR . . . just to name a few![/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We hope you take advantage of this outstanding offer, and congratulations again on being selected for the[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Go here to order your gallery print today. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jeffrey Bryan[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Craig Foster[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Managing Editor[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chairman, Board of Trustees[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Picture.com[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]International Society of Photographers[/FONT]

ef662080-f.gif

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
No scam left unturned. Cute cat, though.

For all of you photographers, welcome :welcome: and don't take this scam as any reflection on your work whatsoever. I doubt they even look at your picture. That's an idea; send one giving the finger or the moon, and see if they fall like Publish America and the Literary Agency do.

Off subject, I have the greatest respect for photographers, due to my complete lack of ability. :D

SFFotoGirl

I got the same message this morning from picture.com. Las Vegas convention, new member, canvas photo discount and all. I knew it was too good to be true. Too easy to find on the web.

Sunkissed27f

Banned
Reaction score
The Nerve

I received the same email this morning duckie85.
First I received a letter in the postal mail saying I needed to sign a
"proof form" copywriting my picture under my name and that my picture "Flowering Rock" was chosen for a book, I didn't have to pay anything, but if I wanted the book I could get it at 80 something dollars BEFORE it reached the book stores in 2008, at a better rate than if I was to buy it in stores. They guaranteed it to be in book stores if I didn't buy it from them. I was a little excited at first then my husband started putting doubts in my head, so we selected another picture, put his mothers address on it (only one picture per household) and sent it in to see what happens. The picture was of a toilet that he had blown up with fireworks one year. Awful picture. *laugh* I bet they only do one picture per household, so you wont notice the SAME emails or postal mailings. I am glad I came to this sight when I decided to do my "research". Thanks!!!

PS: Also do some search on [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame.[/FONT]You may be surprised!!
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]From the desk of:[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
Jeffrey Bryan, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Managing Editor[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Anna Norris,[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Craig Foster and I have been discussing your photo, "Flowering Rock," and we are pleased to inform you that you have been nominated to join the International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame. This is a prestigious group of worldwide photographers. They all have one thing in common: Their love and passion for photography and their photographic talent. Your submission caught our eye because it displays your creative skills and dedication to your art. You are the perfect candidate to be included in the 2008 Class of the International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We will be showcasing the talent of some of the members of the 2008 International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame at the International Society of Photographers Convention and Symposium, to be held next spring in Las Vegas, NV. Just imagine your photo, "Flowering Rock," displayed in front of hundreds, if not thousands, of people from all over the world. Don’t you think it’s time to get the recognition you deserve?[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To commemorate this amazing achievement, we are proud to offer you a one-of-a-kind gallery print of your photo beautifully displayed on high quality canvas. This exquisite piece of art is the same quality you see in national galleries all over the world. It will be lightly brushed stroked by our artists to give it the look and feel of an original oil painting. We couldn’t think of a better way to showcase your talent than to create a precious family heirloom that will last for generations to come. Please take a minute to look at all the great features and options for your limited edition print.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We hope you are as proud of this achievement as we are of you, and that you will want to share this great news with your family and friends. You may even want to get one of these prints for a member of your family or a loved one. We are happy to offer you 50% off each additional gallery print you would like to order. Your talent shouldn’t be hidden anymore, and we want to help you share your gift with the world![/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In addition, because of your elevated status as a member of the International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame, we would like to offer you a $50 gift certificate off the registration fees for the 2008 International Society of Photographers Convention and Symposium to be held this March in Las Vegas, NV. In the past, photographers from around the world have attended these conventions to network and learn from photographic legends, including professionals from Time Magazine, National Geographic, and NASCAR . . . just to name a few![/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We hope you take advantage of this outstanding offer, and congratulations again on being selected for the[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Go here to order your gallery print today. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jeffrey Bryan[/FONT] [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Craig Foster[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Managing Editor[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chairman, Board of Trustees[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Picture.com[/FONT] [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]International Society of Photographers[/FONT]

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear you didn't fall for it.

I'm a photographer (most of what I do is to accompany articles, but I'm starting to get into stock photography). I flipped through some of the contest winners on their web site. The stuff ranges from outstanding to barely-focused snapshots. I could not find the anthologies for sale on their web site. Maybe I missed the link? (I doubt it. Some googling found one book for sale through a third-party site.)

Those canvas prints are also overpriced. You can do much better at places like Shutterfly.

mr_femenist

International Society of photographers- Scam revisited

Hi
Just joined today. Actually searched for the ISP on the net and this was the first search. Was stuck by the coincidence. so am posting the 1st mail in a series of letters i got from picture.com
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Subhankar,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Over the past year or so, we have been reviewing the thousands of photographs that have been submitted to us, as well as examining various pictures that have been featured by other photography publishers. After an exhaustive examination of this photographic artistry, The International Library of Photography has decided to publish a collection of new photos taken by the best photographers we have encountered. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am pleased to tell you that you have been selected to appear in this special edition . . .[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]THE BEST PHOTOS AND PHOTOGRAPHERS OF 2007[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Library of Congress ISBN 0-7951-5306-6[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Congratulations on your accomplishment, Subhankar.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Only a small percentage of individuals whose photos we have examined were selected to be part of this distinguished group of outstanding photographers.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And that's not all . . . To honor the accomplishment of this elite group of talented individuals, we have established a separate contest with over $4,500 in prizes to be awarded. You will automatically be entered into the final competition, but you must submit a new photograph (if you have not already done so). Prizes will be announced this winter, with an anticipated publication date of December 31, 2007. (This is a tentative date. More information will follow.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 will be among the finest quality books we have ever published, so your photography will be presented in the most elegant way possible. Every aspect of publication and design will convey the quality craftsmanship and attention to detail that will go into the production of this special edition. The coffee-table quality book will feature a deluxe cover and spine. Quality typography will be displayed throughout on a fine-milled, acid-free paper stock that will last for generations.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Best of all . . .[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This special edition will feature a new, unpublished
photograph by Subhankar Chakraborty!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Before going any further, Subhankar, let me make one thing clear . . . you were selected for publication on the basis of your previously published photo. Your new photo, which you will select for this edition, will be accepted for publication on the basis of your previous accomplishments. Your prior photo was among the most interesting pictures we have encountered, so we wish to feature your artistry in this special edition and make this special prize money available to you and the others who have been chosen. You are under no obligation whatsoever to submit any entry fee, subsidy payment, or to make any purchase of any kind.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As I mentioned above, your photograph will be accepted into this special edition, and as soon as we receive your picture, it may be immediately published on our website, www.picture.com and entered into the final competition of the contest. And let me reassure you, your photographic image remains your property - The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 is copyrighted as a compilation. This means that you retain the copyright to your own work of art. In order to make our scheduled publication date, you must submit your photo as soon as possible (if you haven't already done so). Please make sure to use your unique control number, 2166104 - 7502, when entering your photo.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Again, congratulations, Subhankar. The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 promises to be the most exclusive and widely enjoyed collection of photographs we have ever published. We feel that you take wonderful, captivating photographs, and we believe your newly submitted photo will add to the importance and appeal of this edition. Your contribution to this project is greatly appreciated. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jeffrey Bryan
Managing Editor
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.S. Subhankar, you should be genuinely proud of your accomplishment. You have been selected to participate in this very special project because of your unique vision. It is our pleasure to publish fine photographs such as yours in this special volume. And, most importantly, once you submit your photo to this special project, you may purchase a copy of The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 at our special pre-publication price, if you wish to do so. The International Library of Photography will send you additional information about this special offer.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please go here to submit your photo as soon as possible (if you haven't already done so). Please make sure to use your unique control number, 2166104 - 7502, when entering your photo.[/FONT]

mr_femenist

Fake photography contest- Part2

Second email I got from them...
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you are having an issue with the images and links or if you want to view this email as a web page, open here.
To ensure you receive emails from Picture.com, please add [email protected] to your address book now.
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Subhankar, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You are cordially invited to join ThePhotographersWorkshop.com, the premiere online photography community, created specifically for photographers and their work. Here are just a few of the benefits that it offers:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An extensive and comprehensive forum to share your photography.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] review system that educates both the photographer and the viewer.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]G[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]uaranteed feedback on your photo where thousands of people can review your work.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]uild friendships in an exclusive community of people just like you.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subhankar, please take a few minutes and check out ThePhotographersWorkshop.com. I am sure you will find it a valuable tool and resource, and the Trial Membership is FREE. Don't hesitate or you will be missing out on the premiere photographers' community.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]JOIN THE FUN![/FONT]​
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This email was sent by: Picture.com
[/FONT]​

mr_femenist

Picture contest fraud- 3

3rd post..
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]From the desk of:[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
Jeffrey Bryan, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Managing Editor[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Subhankar Chakraborty,[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Craig Foster and I have been discussing your photo, "Nature's beauty, everyone's pride," and we are pleased to inform you that you have been nominated to join the International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame. This is a prestigious group of worldwide photographers. They all have one thing in common: Their love and passion for photography and their photographic talent. Your submission caught our eye because it displays your creative skills and dedication to your art. You are the perfect candidate to be included in the 2008 Class of the International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We will be showcasing the talent of some of the members of the 2008 International Society of Photographers Hall of Fame at the International Society of Photographers Convention and Symposium, to be held next spring in Las Vegas, NV. Just imagine your photo, "Nature's beauty, everyone's pride," displayed in front of hundreds, if not thousands, of people from all over the world. Don’t you think it’s time to get the recognition you deserve?[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To commemorate this amazing achievement, we are proud to offer you a one-of-a-kind gallery print of your photo beautifully displayed on high quality canvas. This exquisite piece of art is the same quality you see in national galleries all over the world. It will be lightly brushed stroked by our artists to give it the look and feel of an original oil painting. We couldn’t think of a better way to showcase your talent than to create a precious family heirloom that will last for generations to come. Please take a minute to look at all the great features and options for your limited edition print.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] We hope you are as proud of this achievement as we are of you, and that you will want to share this great news with your family and friends. You may even want to get one of these prints for a member of your family or a loved one. We are happy to offer you 50% off each additional gallery print you would like to order. Your talent shouldn’t be hidden anymore, and we want to help you share your gift with the world![/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jeffrey Bryan[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Craig Foster[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Managing Editor[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chairman, Board of Trustees[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Picture.com[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]International Society of Photographers[/FONT]

ef662080-f.gif

mr_femenist

picture fraud -part 4

4th and latest email i got from them..arent these things eerily similar...FRAUDSSSS:rant:
Craig Foster, Chairman[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Subhankar Chakraborty,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's something we don't often do, but after viewing and discussing your photography, the Editorial Advisory Board of the International Library of Photography has nominated you for membership in the most exciting photography organization in the world - the International Society of Photographers![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Editorial Advisory Board wholeheartedly agrees that your photographic abilities warrant nomination into the International Society of Photographers - a photographic organization that is world-renowned and dedicated to recognizing photographic talent such as yours. As Chairman, I want to personally inform you about all the new benefits of membership, and I did not want you to miss out on this opportunity. Subhankar, I know that after hearing what we are about, you will join us as a member of our society - the International Society of Photographers![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You'll receive many tangible benefits when you become a member. There are three levels of membership, and I am positive there is one that will fit your photographic needs. Whatever membership category you choose, we look forward to your participation in our organization for many years to come. Perhaps more importantly, you'll be joining fellow photographers from around the world in one of the largest photography organizations in the world - an organization dedicated to recognizing, awarding, and promoting the photographic talent of our members.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An Organization You Can Be Proud Of![/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Noted for our charitable contributions and our accomplishments in furthering photographic endeavors, the International Society of Photographers maintains a reputation for bringing photography to more people and to more nations than any other organization in the world.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Whether you take pictures for the satisfaction it gives you, as a personal way to record the world around you, or as a hobby, through your membership, you and your photography will be recognized by thousands of people from all over the world. Subhankar, it's a great feeling to know they're interested in you and that your photography is being viewed and enjoyed by others. In fact, by joining the International Society of Photographers, you and your photography will receive worldwide recognition from many different nations.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You'll even have the opportunity to meet and share your photography with other members. As a member, I will extend a personal invitation to our yearly convention, which is known for bringing together photographers of all ages and nationalities who share a common love of photography. These exciting, fun, and educational events are full of camaraderie, warm friendship, and mutual admiration for our photographic endeavors.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Opportunity To Attend The Photographic Event Of The Year![/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This year, our conference in Las Vegas drew photographers from around the world! We believe this to be one of the largest single gatherings of photographers in history. Our members had the opportunity to meet and discuss photographs with Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer David Hume Kennerly, Time Magazine photographer Robert Nickelsberg, and famed rock & roll photographer Bob Gruen. We've been entertained by such acts as The Platters and Lee Allen, just to name a few . . . not to mention the largest single cash prize of $10,000 awarded to an amateur photographer. As a member, you will have a chance to win your share of these cash prizes. No matter what style of photography you shoot, you'll find these contests to be exciting and rewarding events.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Join the International Society of Photographers now, Subhankar, and you'll become one of the recognized leaders of your craft. Your friends, family, and colleagues will look to you as an example of experience, vision, and accomplishment in the photographic world. Your society will look to you for your unique perspective as expressed through your photographs. I'm sure we'll soon be seeing you at our annual conventions.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Go here to see the three different levels of membership.
Go here to join us today.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sincerely,
8cea1c6d-4.gif

Craig Foster
Chairman, Board of Trustees
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.S.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Subhankar, we accept only a limited number of members each year, and by accepting your invitation now, your benefits will begin immediately and you will promptly receive your membership items through the mail. Most importantly, we will welcome you as a member of the largest photography organization in the world - the International Society of Photographers.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This email was sent by: Picture.com - 3600 Crondall Lane, Suite 101 Owings Mills, MD, 21117,
To Unsubscribe: Unsubscribe
[/FONT]​