Harry Potter #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I borrowed the first book from the Harry Potter series from the library today. I know it's very popular among younger readers and many people say it's great. Maybe I can learn a thing or two about writing a good story by reading one.

Has anyone else here read it?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
*puts tongue firmly in cheek*

Dwayne, could it be possible that you have lived through the last ten years and missed ALL of the Potter phenomena??? Unless you live under a rock on some undiscovered island in the Pacific, I don't see how you could have missed it.

I collect first editions of the HP series. I'm sitting on at least one 1st/1st for each book, with several 1st/1sts in different languages as well.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'll just add, I too have read them ALL, twice. Once by myself, and a second time aloud to my children. I've also seen all the movies (to date) a dozen times each (at least) and played the DVD game (at which my son routinely thrashes me).

Do you have a followup question?

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
well yes I have missed the whole thing. I never understood why the craze. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of anything...or anyone.

You'll never understand me. That's just not how I operate as a person.

No, I don't live under a rock in the Pacific. I live in a small town.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
Currently, I've finished the first two chapters. I've noticed that the author takes some time off from the action to describe stuff such as the strange things that happened to Harry while he's around. I know this is telling, not showing. What was the author accomplishing through this? Is it okay to tell rather than show? Or do you have to "show" all the way through?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
You don't have to be a huge fan to enjoy reading other people's work. I wasn't into the craze, but I did love reading the stories.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Currently, I've finished the first two chapters. I've noticed that the author takes some time off from the action to describe stuff such as the strange things that happened to Harry while he's around. I know this is telling, not showing. What was the author accomplishing through this? Is it okay to tell rather than show? Or do you have to "show" all the way through?
What was the author accomplishing through this?
~She was trying to tell you things that were important to the story but that would be boring to "show".

Is it okay to tell rather than show?
~Yes.

Or do you have to "show" all the way through?
~No.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's setting up his past so you understand the context as his present unfolds.

SASS- reading through the series for the 3rd time, and listening to the audio books.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
cool, I could learn a thing or two about writing from reading these books. Thanks!

Once I finish this book, I'll get Chamber of Secrets.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was mulling this over. I think the trick is to know WHEN to show and WHEN to tell.

A lot of people get caught up in RULES that are really suggestions. I would say Rowling is a great story teller, even if the mechanics could use some work. Obviously it is the story that matters, given how many people love the books. It doesn't really matter if a sentence would be tighter by taking out the word "seemed", if the story is so good you lose yourself in it.

May I make a suggestion? Try just enjoying the story and examine the writing later. Have fun and come back, I've been aching to discuss these books again.

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
My advice is to pay special attention to these elements:

1)The care and respect the author gives to her settings.
2)The constant presence of "loose threads."

The author does these things very well, in my opinion. But also, pay special attention to how #2 works against her, as the climax nears. Sometimes loose threads and cliffhangers prevent a tale from achieving an organic resolution. If you can learn how to do one without compromsing the other, bravo!

Enjoy the book!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back to the show don't tell question in reference to the beginning of HP#1.

Ok I'm still mulling, obviously.

In Uncle Jim's novel writing thread he mentions the starting point. if you've written quite a bit and discove the story you want to tell doesn't start until a chapter or two in, you've written back story you can cut. So, by Rowling telling, she is summing up the back story to get to the start of the story, which is Harry when Harry gets his letter, imo.

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
What loose threads are you referring to? I thought that by book 7, she'd tied them up pretty well.

I'm referring to the general obligation to tie loose threads, and the effect this can have on the resolution. I don't know anything about book 7, but this is worth studying in book 1.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well it is a planned series, she knew she would be writing 7 books when she wrote the first one. So it isn't as though the loose ends don't get addressed later. In a series, you want some, to get people to read the next book. I think she does well in having a resolution for each year while building an overall story arch. I am sorry, but if you haven't read the whole series, how can you assume that the loose ends in book one don't belong there?

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the loose ends that did NOT get tied. I'm talking about the ones that DID get tied, within book 1, and how they may have prevented the ending of book 1from being as natural as it could have been.

It's a common problem in novels. When we force our characters to "tiddy up," it's hard not to lose something. Considered for this purpose as a stand-alone work, book 1 can teach us a lot about why this happens.

TheAntar

Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter started exactly where it should have, with a first chapter that is, in my honest opinion, amongst some of the most interesting, grab-you-and-hold-you writing I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

When in chapter 2 she tells some backstory, I'm so hooked by chapter 1 I'd have probably finished the book just on that alone.

A cat reading a map. A trick of the light? It was now reading the sign that said...no, no looking. Cats couldn't read maps, or signs.

I mean. Cmon. Friggin amazing writing.

As far as loose ends and juggling them (bias as I may be, being a tremendous fan of the HP series) I feel that JKR did an amazing job, especially into books 3-5, in leaving just enough loose ends untied to bring you back for the next one, while still resolutely completing the novel. The only book which didn't finish at any reasonable point was the sixth, but by then who cares you'll read #7 too or you wouldn't have read 6 :)

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Antar. Welcome to AW.

I agree- but my point was Harry's story- that part we experience from his POV- starts when he is 11, when he finds out he is a wizard. The beginning is more backstory, imo, setting the scene. Part of the magic (heh heh) of the story is that Harry has been separated from the magical world, so that we get to see the wonders of that world with him. If it had been from, say, Ron's POV, the magical world wouldn't seem wondrous to him. It would be harder to convey because nothing's new to him, while it is all new to Harry.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading it and took it back to the library. It was a good book. I think I understand more about showing and telling now that I've read it. Later I'll get #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.