THE CLIQUE books

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I saw these mentioned on Inside Editon (I think) targeted towards middle grade girls who are, apparently gaga over them. They are about a group of school girls who are ultra popular, ultra snobby and ultra spoiled.

The author states she is trying to show girls that is okay to just be who you are and to NOT be materialistic.

I picked one up and that is so not how I percieved it- but I am old and weird- was wondering if anyone else migh be familiar with these books and how you percieved them.

I ask because I have a 10 year old daughter and from what I read, I don't think I would want her to read these.

Thoughts??

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read them, but they've been around for awhile. They're part of the same trend that spawned the Gossip Girl series, although the Clique books are more Mean Girls than sex.

Whereas the Gossip series is more sex and relationships, and revels in it, the Clique series is supposed to be a little condemning of superficial and snobbish behavior, but I don't think there are any real consequences.

Until someone better informed weighs in, you might just want to pick one up from the library and read for yourself. Either way the books aren't my style, but I've had a couple friends who have read books from both series because they're younger siblings were reading. They thought they were "cute"--self-indulgent and guilty pleasure, good beach reads.

Skye Jules

March 15th: Issue 1 release
Registered
Reaction score
Garbage more like it. I read an article in the New York Times Sunday Book Review about YA books, and YA books are looked down upon by a lot of people who are ignorant about them. And I have one theory: Books like those. I don't see how the Clique books are condemning snobbery. Instead, they seem to glorify it in a wholesome manner with no consequences.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
I hated the books. I picked them up because I wanted to see what the big fuss was at school and I got 10 pages in before physically throwing the book across the room. Books like this disgust me. Who gives a damn about rich spoiled brats? Not me, for sure.

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I think the point is that the main character is a regular girl who is being picked on by the awful spoiled girls. A step-sister or something? It seems like maybe she began to merge into one of the other girls though.

I haven't seen anyone reading one of those books in ages, and I don't remembe anything about them, but I do always see them on the shelves at Target.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the same thing Tyra Banks is presenting a film of?

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
My daughter wanted to read these, so I picked one up and read it. I read the whole thing waiting for Claire to put the snobs in their place, but no, she becomes one of them! So disappointing.

I think these are fantasy escapism for teen girls. Wouldn't it be great to be able to buy anything you want and rule the school?

I passed it on to my daughter along the The Penderwicks. I just wanted to show her how a talented author (Birdsall) can fully develop a character in a few pages, while even after four books, the Clique characters are so flat.