• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Selling Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrittenIn1981

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I have found a problem in the last four years that is really bothering me. I have literally hundreds of story ideas thought up. Some have gotten outlined and plotted. I will start to work on one and then put it away when a new job comes up or when I think of a new story. Sometimes, the story will get plotted and outlined but I will have no intention of working on it right out of the gates because I have other projects that need to be worked on.

I haven't done much research into this area of writing because, as one of my friends put it, if I can't write them then I am not much of a writer. That really bothered me and I tried to put a lot of time into finishing some of the projects, but I can't just toss aside my paying gigs in order to force myself to work on stuff in my "to do" folder that might not ever make a dime.

Is there a process to go through in which an idea can be pitched for someone else to write? Like a guy comes up with a movie idea and then pitches the idea to a bunch of script writers, but for the writing field rather than film and television.

Any ideas, answers, or help on this topic from you guys?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Is there a process to go through in which an idea can be pitched for someone else to write? Like a guy comes up with a movie idea and then pitches the idea to a bunch of script writers, but for the writing field rather than film and television.

Short answer: No.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
No, unless you want to pay a ghostwriter to do the writing for you -- not cheap.

Aschenbach

Moral Marjorie
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to put a lot of time into finishing some of the projects, but I can't just toss aside my paying gigs in order to force myself to work on stuff in my "to do" folder that might not ever make a dime.

I don't understand what your paying gigs are, are they to do with writing fiction, or is it another line of work? The writing market is so tough that most people don't write with the expectation it will pay off like a regular job does, unless they are already established.

I don't think writing works like that. Ideas are everywhere, the hard part is writing them. All writers have ideas and have to practice writing them, that is what makes them competent writers.

I doubt you'll find a serious writer who knows he/her can write really well, but can't come up with their own ideas.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I have four ideas of my own right now all of which are crying out to be written.
Why would you want someone else to write your ideas? That writer would get all the credit and probably all the money so what would be in it for you?
Work out what 3 or 4 ideas you're most excited about then get started WRITING. Have fun. :D

WrittenIn1981

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I have a monthly article in a regionally published magazine, I do freelance work for three local newspapers depending on what they need and when they want it (generally one article for a different one each week with an off week), and I continually work on short stories and children's books that I submit to publishers.

I just find it rather wasteful to have all of these plotted out and not getting anything out of them or not knowing a way to get anything out of them without sacrificing the stuff that pays my bills for the time being. I was hoping that ghostwriters might be on the lookout for ideas to work with and then share publishing rights or things along those lines.

Like I said, I haven't researched much into this because I don't really want to go that route. However, I'd rather SOMETHING be done with all of these rather than them just lay there in my folders collecting dust until I can get around to them.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score

Sure - you can do it like it's done in Film & TV where a producer can get writers to work on some outlines or ideas ... but like that system you'll be paying the writers out of your own pocket.

Unfortunately ideas aren't worth a great deal, nor are they even covered by copyright.

Your best option is simply to offer them up to friends for nothing in return.

Good luck,

Mac

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately ideas aren't worth a great deal, nor are they even covered by copyright.

Just to add to this. There are a lot of ideas that have been redone over and over; it's all in the presentation. Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet and West Side Story. My Fair Lady and Pretty Woman. Etc. Etc.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I would guess that any writer whether a hobbyist or professional has lots of ideas and they would go with the most promising, then set to work. Personally, I would not join up with a person with "an idea" to write it for them since (a) I have enough ideas myself that I am excited about and (b) 99.9% of the value of a written work, to my mind, is the writing rather than the idea. I guess this is just a roundabout way of re-stating what others have already said. If you write well, you will be awash with your own ideas. Otherwise, how do you write effectively?

ShyViolet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shyviolet.net
The writing is what makes that idea unique. It's also what makes it fun. I don't really know why you'd want to miss out on that. But in any case, in my few finished or almost finished works, the idea changed and deepened as I wrote, so the final version was much better and richer and more fulfilling than the original idea. I want ownership of how the idea develops into the reality - I wouldn't want someone else to be in charge of that.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I have a computer file with 69 ideas ... so far.
Unless I get 'famous' with one idea that I actually turn into a published book, the others will stay in that file forever. My dream is of course, that one at the time, those ideas will become books. And then I can get publishers interested in other ideas, trying to convince them, that yes, this will make a good book, so pay me to write this.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Serious ghostwriters not only want good ideas, they expect to be paid well for their writing, researching, editing efforts, and rewrites. If you want a ghostwriter be prepared to pay thousands of dollars. It's highly unlikely that a good ghostwriter will take your idea and write a book without compensation. It's harder to ghostwrite than write your own book. I've done both and can assure you of this. Good ideas unto themselves abound, but unto themselves in no way guarantee a good manuscript.

WrittenIn1981

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah well, I guess they'll just have to keep collecting dust. I added two others to the pile in the last forty-eight hours. Uggh.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Ideas are a penny a dozen. Everyone has them but it's what you do with them that makes them into something big. Either find time to write out and develop those ideas or just lock them away. If you really wanted to write them, you'd find the time to do it. And the thing is, most other writers have enough ideas of their own. They won't need to buy them from someone else.

partmadman

Registered
Reaction score
maybe the problem is that you are thinking of all of your ideas as seperate instead of connected. Think of them as character back story, flashbacks, sub plots, subtext etc...

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with a huge story idea pile. It's an incredible resource. Don't think of it as a negatitve thing. I have a huge collection of idea bits and parts. Once and a while I get to resecue one from the pile. As well as a physical pile of ideas, I have my brain stewing ideas. Whenever I write, I always have at least two more ideas on the back burner that I keep adding spices too. Eventually, one of them will be moved to the front burner and off I go.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'll just quote myself on the subject.

Whenever I hear

"I have an idea for a novel. You could write it and we could split the profits."

I want to reply, "So you'll supply the idea and I'll supply the characters, plot, background, setting, style, research, editing, submission and revision? What kind of split do you have in mind?"

rljude

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, constantly coming up with ideas is very positive, it shows that the creative part of your brain is working.

The hard part is committing butt to chair and taking an idea to the next level.

Let your idea list, be your place to brainstorm - but don't let it hinder you from seeing some of them to completion.

WrittenIn1981

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
While I've already established that most of you are right and I just need to let the pile grow and move on when I am finished with one project, I think I need to be clear about what I mean by my "ideas." Some of the replies make me think that the term has been miscommunicated in some way.

When I say that I have a pile of ideas, I literally mean that I have a folder that has a ton of papers in it that are clipped together containing everything from plot lines, to character information, to various conclusions and twists; basically I have given a pretty hefty allotment of thought to these ideas. I'm not just saying that I have a jumble of thoughts or one line synopses laying around. When I get an idea, I will sit down and jot down information on it, and have a few pages of detail to work with.

While it makes sense that I should just let them stew and work on one at a time, I did not want anyone to be operating under the misguided impression that I am simply getting a light bulb going off in my head, jotting down a quick note on it, and then wondering how much money I could make off of it.

While a lot of them maybe nothing more than one page details rather than full plot outlines or anything of that nature, I am not someone that shies away from work. If I were to sell an idea I would put a ton of work into the process myself. I have described it to a friend of mine as the equivalent of a carpenter and a brick mason. Before the bricks can be laid, the frame of the house must be in place. That's what I am doing. I frame the "houses" of my stories.

The reason I wanted to look into this idea of finding ghostwriters or someone to work with them is because I would like them all to come to fruition rather than just sitting there in my folder waiting to be plucked out as if patrons at the department of motor vehicles.

Sorry, that was long winded. I just didn't want anyone to believe that I have an idea and then wanted to see if someone could take it and create characters, plot, setting, etc. I do a good portion of that myself when I come up with this stuff.

I thank everyone for their positive feedback, and I like the last few posts that talked about using an idea stockpile as a tool rather than an drawback. I appreciate it. Please keep the conversations going, but also understand that I am not trying to be lazy or anything like that. It is a process of sorting through the projects I have on the table while still trying to keep all of these things from falling through the cracks and becoming lost to my own lack of time.

Last edited:

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
On one forum I sometimes frequent, our 'resources' sub-forum has a sub-forum (sub-sub-forum?) called 'story ideas' divided by genre. We post unused plot bunnies there for someone to adopt and take home.

Never heard of selling them, though. Even on my driest days I don't know if I'd be desperate enough to shell out money for a story idea that I might not be able to do anything with.

I stockpile ideas myself, and this month I've been coming back to them like nuts, with considerable success. Autumn just seems to be my season for short-story writing.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
When I say that I have a pile of ideas, I literally mean that I have a folder that has a ton of papers in it that are clipped together containing everything from plot lines, to character information, to various conclusions and twists; basically I have given a pretty hefty allotment of thought to these ideas. I'm not just saying that I have a jumble of thoughts or one line synopses laying around. When I get an idea, I will sit down and jot down information on it, and have a few pages of detail to work with.

It's good that you've got more than just an idea - looks like you've put quite a lot of work into your plans for future novels. I hope you get them all written some day. :)

I personally wouldn't trust my thoughts for future novels (at least five, at last count) to a ghostwriter, even if I wrote down the plotline, the characterization, the world, etc. Not that I'm afraid the ghostwriter will steal it - just that he or she is never going to love the story as I do. No one will ever know my characters the way I do, and so no one else can write the stories that I want written.

There's also the question of style. I know my style and I want my books to be written in that style. I'm not so sure a ghostwriter could imitate that to the point where I'd be satisfied. Even if I gave the ghostwriter a detailed synopsis with everything spelled out carefully, how do I know that the final product will be as I like it - brief descriptions, short sentences in action scenes, hidden references to other books or mythology, etc?

So I see what you mean when you say you'd put a lot of work into the process if you got a ghostwriter. I think I'd end up just taking the work away from the ghostwriter and doing it myself. Sure, it would take more time that way - but I'd be more likely to be happy with the final product.

MetalDog

Woof!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered the possibility that you're over-outlining these things? I know some people can't work without detailed outlines, but I've found that if I have a detailed outline, I feel like I've already told the story and I can't be arsed to do it again. It takes a stupid amount of drive to get stories written in full (particularly novels) and I can only do it with ideas that:
A) won't leave me the hell alone
B) that I don't know completely.

If I want to know exactly what happens, I have to write it - if I just jot down all the juicy parts, it never gets beyond that set of notes, because that set of notes shuts the idea's endless, nagging, yapping voice up.

The Rav

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejkwritingspot.blogspot.com
If you want to be a writer, you're going to find time to compose those ideas into finished stories. It'll be in your blood to do so. You're not going to want to give it to someone else to compose. From what I've read (I just skimmed some of the thread) you're on the right track. When you have some time and energy between paying projects, work on your stories. No, you won't see profit (yet anyway), but if writing is in your blood, it'll pay off anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.