Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
Madison
summertime...

Madison is a shiny, shiny jewelMadison is a shiny, shiny jewel
On which side do straight guys wear earrings?

Yep, that's my question. Obviously my google skills aren't that great cause i couldn't find the answer. which side?

Check out AW: Exposed, in which I interview AW members to discover who they are in real life and what they have to say about writing. Thursdays this winter! (This Thursday: Sage)
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #2
Seaclusion
Absolute Parsley

Seaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It is my understanding that straight guys wear it on the left. But since I don't wear one, better get some confirmation on that.

Richard
Old 10-24-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
Rolling Thunder
Free.

Rolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRolling Thunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I googled and found lots of information that states it's impossible to tell. Apparently, there's no set 'form' because the fashion of having an earring is a personal choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray View Post
we should probably end it with those sage words.
thank you, artee.
*locks thread*
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
citymouse
fantasy dweller

citymouse is a glorious beacon of lightcitymouse is a glorious beacon of lightcitymouse is a glorious beacon of light
Put it in his nose. If he's straight why not say so?
Oh, and you don't even want to get into the hanky and key symbolism.
C

Last edited by citymouse; 10-24-2008 at 04:21 AM. Reason: adding
citymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
Seaclusion
Absolute Parsley

Seaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The story as I know it is that ancient sailors wore the earring in the left ear to honor the gods while rounding Cape Horn. You always round Cape Horn from West to East. Captain Bligh tried it from East to West and he got a mutiny for his effort.

Richard
Old 10-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
chevbrock
practical experience, FTW

chevbrock is a splendid one to beholdchevbrock is a splendid one to beholdchevbrock is a splendid one to behold
If you are talking present times, it doesn't matter. A lot of straight guys wear them in both, though the fashion these days is more spacers than earrings. A spacer is where a small hole is gradually teased into a large hole, much in the style of a certain African tribe whose name escapes me.

In the past, it used to be the left side.

Troy Berrier has the world at his feet. He is about to take the freestyle motorcross world by storm when he wins the world MX-Stream game finals.

But Troy's definition of the word, “life”, is about to be shifted. The ensuing struggle will test his friendships and his faith in himself.

Email christinabatey@y7mail.com
chevbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #7
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh finds a plot hole

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A couple decades ago, I heard a little ditty about guys wearing an earring: "Left is right and right is wrong."

Left being "right" meant the guy was hetero. An earring in the right ear was wrong because the guy was gay, and certainly being gay was wrong. Of course that was before more social enlightenment.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:08 AM   #8
Del
Sky isn't falling, ground is rising

Del is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I knew a guy that wore a small block Chevy engine in his ear. You didn't tell him which was the right one.

Honestly though, I heard the earing was originally a gold ring. It was started by sailors, the premise being, if they died at sea the man that brought back their body got to keep the earing. I don't know which side or for what reason but the left certainly stands out.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:11 AM   #9
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Left is Right Right is Wrong, if you're thinking het

Het guys wear it on the Left

Does this mean the hanky code is coming back?

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #10
StephanieFox
Maybull the Bulldog

StephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthood
All of that 'left side,' 'right side' is just so 1980s. Guys wear earrings on one side or the other, or even in both ears and it doesn't matter if they are straight or gay.

Two months ago I couldn't even spell freelance writer
and now I are one.

StephanieFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #11
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hanky codes were, and sometimes, still are a signaling system used in gay bars, though it's a lot less common--and it always led to ah, problems, given local dialect differences.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 10-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
Ol' Fashioned Girl
Irish to my roots & an
AW Moderator

Ol' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
Left is Right Right is Wrong, if you're thinking het

Het guys wear it on the Left

Does this mean the hanky code is coming back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captshady View Post
Hanky code?
According to Cowboy Frank, one of my favorite 'net sites and personalities, yes. Visit here for the code.

Click us... come on! Click us. You want to. You know you do.
Ol' Fashioned Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
vixey
C'est la vie!

vixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
A couple decades ago, I heard a little ditty about guys wearing an earring: "Left is right and right is wrong."

Left being "right" meant the guy was hetero. An earring in the right ear was wrong because the guy was gay, and certainly being gay was wrong. Of course that was before more social enlightenment.
It may be so eighties, but it's what some of us remember as the norm.

And I'm adding my two cents that I think a single earring is hawt!

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.-Dr. Seuss

"Thank God for fingers and muses. Writing is like singing the blues on a laptop."-cwj
vixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #14
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep, traditionally it's the left side for straight guys. Still is, but it doesn't matter as much as it probably used to.

My (straight) friend just got his right ear pierced, thinking it was the "correct" one. He got home and his (gay) roommate informed him of the mistake. It just happens his roommate's left ear is pierced. My friend decided he didn't care. They're a bit of an odd pair.

I have both ears pierced, but twice on the left lobe.
kuwisdelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
Rabe
the living dead

Rabe has a spectacular auraRabe has a spectacular aura
This takes me back to a conversation I had with my mother about guys with pierced ears.

We were talking about the left being 'straight' and right being 'wrong' so I asked what it meant if both ears were pierced.

So told me it mean 'bisexual' and then had to explain this strange concept.

of course,nobody was really thrilled when I became a big fan of the Bajoran culture system as part of my Trekdom. As part of this, I began wearing a Djarra earring - which is traditionally worn in the right ear. Boy did I throw off a lot of people by getting a right ear pierced in order to wear this jewelry.

Nowadays it doesn't seem to matter at all which side is pierced...though, I still mostly see the left pierced in guys that have a single piercing.

Rabe...
Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #16
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabe View Post
We were talking about the left being 'straight' and right being 'wrong' so I asked what it meant if both ears were pierced.

So told me it mean 'bisexual' and then had to explain this strange concept.
Hehe. Makes sense to me. I'd say I'm about 2/3 straight.
kuwisdelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #17
poetinahat
on holiday
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have no earrings, which means - clearly - that I'm a eunuch.

poetinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
chevbrock
practical experience, FTW

chevbrock is a splendid one to beholdchevbrock is a splendid one to beholdchevbrock is a splendid one to behold
I have both ears pierced, and am far too exhausted to be bisexual!

Troy Berrier has the world at his feet. He is about to take the freestyle motorcross world by storm when he wins the world MX-Stream game finals.

But Troy's definition of the word, “life”, is about to be shifted. The ensuing struggle will test his friendships and his faith in himself.

Email christinabatey@y7mail.com
chevbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
Dgullen
Ustom Ser Itle

Dgullen is on a distinguished road
So many rules! I wonder who invented this one?
Just don't get onto moustaches!
Dgullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #20
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
Don't you remember the Two and a Half Men episode when Allen got his right ear pierced and Charlie said, "By the way, that's the gay ear you know."
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #21
Saanen
Inappropriate Charmer

Saanen is a glorious beacon of lightSaanen is a glorious beacon of light
When I was a kid in the 80s, the local jingle went "right is gay, left okay." Nowadays I don't think it really matters that much. Most guys with piercings seem to have both ears done, at least that I've noticed.

Spacers creep me out. I don't like being able to see through someone's body part and out the other side, apparently. I can't even look at guys with those things in.
Saanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #22
Ali B
Just Hanging Around

Ali B is a shiny, shiny jewelAli B is a shiny, shiny jewel
Hmm...My husband has both ears pierced and he is defiantly NOT bi. Not that he thinks that there's anything wrong with that, it just makes him ill to think about a man sexually, lol.
Ali B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #23
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In the 1980s in the US, most straight men who wore one earring chose to wear it on the left side, and most gay men who wore one earring chose to wear it on the right side.

Since the 1990s, very few people follow that code. Ice-T, /Sean John Puff Daddy P. Diddy Diddy Combs/, Snoop Dogg, Kid Rock, Eminem, and millions of other flaming heterosexual guys wear earrings in both ears.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:09 AM   #24
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
people pierce everything these days, as if their heads were pincushions or something.
Does look good on some people, though, I must say.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:20 AM   #25
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Just to make absolutely sure no one thinks I'm a straight guy, I have both ears pierced.

Just sayin'

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg