Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
Maine2
New kid, be gentle!

Maine2 is on a distinguished road
Red face Times New Roman vs. Courier New

Okay, I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times but I can't find the answer I am looking for by using the search option. So, I have always used Times New Roman, but I was wonder which is preferred the most when writing a novel? Sorry for inconvience, I appreciate the help.
Maine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
TheIT
Opening the door...

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When writing a novel, use whatever you're comfortable with. When submitting a novel, follow publisher guidelines. Take a look at the Manuscript formatting threads stickied to the top of the Writing Novels forum for more details.

NaNoWriMo 2013: Abyss, Part 1 - Anyone want to go for a swim?

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time
TheIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
Maine2
New kid, be gentle!

Thank you, I found it in place you suggested. That answered all of the questions I had about formatting.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
a link to a thread on the topic.
Mentions Courier a lot, and Times Roman too:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40820
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Maine2
New kid, be gentle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anis View Post
a link to a thread on the topic.
Mentions Courier a lot, and Times Roman too:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40820
Thank you, that helped clarify.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Shady Lane
my name is hannah

Shady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I subbed to agents in Courier New. My agent subbed it to editors in Ariel. My editor changed it to TNR.

Never once was the font mentioned--people just changed it to what they liked.

So basically, no one really cares, in my experience.

INVINCIBLE SUMMER--Simon Pulse, 2011 BUY IT
GONE, GONE, GONE--Coming APRIL 17th, 2012, Simon Pulse BUY IT
TEETH--Coming JANUARY 1ST, 2013, Simon Pulse
--
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:
ZOMBIE TAG--Coming DECEMBER 20th, 2011, Roaring Brook Press BUY IT

MARCO IMPOSSIBLE--Coming MARCH 2013, Roaring Brook Press

Shady Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
JJ Cooper

JJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Same as Shady - subbed in Courier New and the editor just changed it to TNR.

Go with whatever you're comfortable with. Change it if a submission guideline requests a particular font.

JJ

My second, Deadly Trust, was published by Random House Australia in August 2010.

Random House Page - 'White knuckle writing from Australia's answer to Andy McNab'

www.jjcooperauthor.com

'Raw, tough, and uncompromising - exactly what a great thriller needs to be.'
Lee Child, International bestselling author

'A rip-roaring plot that bursts from the gate and never lets up.'
Lisa Unger, International bestselling author

'Packed with intrigue and authentic detail, full of twists, THE INTERROGATOR is a memorable debut.'
Jeff Abbott, International bestselling author
JJ Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm under the impression that TNR is generally favored for fiction and Courier for screenplays. I prefer TNR myself.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
The majority of the places I looked said to use Courier. Apparently, it is easier to read. I have run into my share of those who want TNR. By all means, use what the agent asks for. If no guidance is provided, I'd go with one of the two mentioned above. Using courier will give you an accurate word count if you are using the 250 words/page. You get a much different number with TNR.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:09 AM   #10
Danthia

Either works. I prefer Times myself, as I feel it's easier on the eyes.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:45 AM   #11
ejket
Noobus Perpetuus

ejket is on a distinguished road
I think Courier New is way too light for hard copies---I don't understand its appeal except maybe for drafts (easy on ink/toner).

ejket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
ComicBent
practical experience, FTW

ComicBent is on a distinguished road
You can never go wrong with Courier. Naturally, you should follow any specific guidelines that a publisher provides.

Do not use Courier New if you can find a darker Courier. I know that a lot of style sheets will say to use "Courier New," but I doubt that anybody means this to be taken literally. Courier New just happens to be the version of Courier that everybody has on Windows computers.

There are also these versions, which look essentially the same but are darker than the anemic Courier New:

Courier10 BT
Courier MM Screenwriter
Courier Std
Courier Final Draft
Dark Courier

And if you convert a document containing Courier New to a PDF, it usually gets converted to Courier (Type 1), which is very slightly darker than Courier New.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:40 AM   #13
ejket
Noobus Perpetuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
Dark Courier
This one is (or at least was) distributed by HP along with their printer drivers, and is available for download here (hp.com). IIRC it uses more space than Courier New, though.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #14
ClaudiaGray
Rambaldi's Chosen One

ClaudiaGray is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClaudiaGray is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClaudiaGray is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClaudiaGray is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClaudiaGray is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClaudiaGray is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClaudiaGray is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Write in whatever is most comfortable to you. Submit in the font the agent/publisher specifies, if they specify; if they do not, go with either Courier or TNR, whichever you like best.

I both write and submit in TNR, and agent and publisher have been AOK with it.

My books:

Evernight

Stargazer

Hourglass
ClaudiaGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #15
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejket View Post
I think Courier New is way too light for hard copies---I don't understand its appeal except maybe for drafts (easy on ink/toner).
I like Dark Courier when mailing out a story or ms. But you have to be careful when subbing via email. If the pub doesn't have that font, what you send might look a bit screwy at their end.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:11 AM   #16
ejket
Noobus Perpetuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
I like Dark Courier when mailing out a story or ms. But you have to be careful when subbing via email. If the pub doesn't have that font, what you send might look a bit screwy at their end.
Yes, that's important to keep in mind.

BTW, digging around further, I discovered that Final Draft Courier is also a free download. I have to admit that I like it better than Dark Courier... check it out

Old 11-04-2008, 03:23 AM   #17
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaGray View Post
Write in whatever is most comfortable to you. Submit in the font the agent/publisher specifies, if they specify; if they do not, go with either Courier or TNR, whichever you like best.

I both write and submit in TNR, and agent and publisher have been AOK with it.
Me too.