• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

What is The Beta Project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Answers, at last! Kinda.

The Beta Project is an exercise designed to pair AW members with appropriate beta readers for their manuscripts. If you don’t know what a beta reader is, HALT! Go back to the main page of the beta reader forum and read the stickies. It will save you some headaches later.

This experiment first kicked off its only trial in 2007, then named the Great Beta Reader Challenge. We had about 15 participants, all of whom submitted to me in a PM the first 750 words of their manuscripts. Based on participants’ genres and reading preferences, I assigned each participant three other participants’ works to read and critique in the span of two weeks. In exchange for agreeing to critique three people’s excerpts, it also ensures you three separate critiques of your own work. *If you don’t want to critique someone else’s work, this project isn’t for you.* If you feel like those critiques were helpful, then it is encouraged you ask one (or more) critic to be a beta reader for your entire manuscript. At the end, you also might be asked to be a permanent beta reader for someone else.

Now for the fancy Q&A portion of the explanation.

Q: Do I need to have a completed manuscript to enter?
No. However, it is in your best interest to have a completed or near-completed manuscript, edited and polished as fully as you can make it, before we begin. Beta readers are usually one of the last steps writers take before they start approaching agents. If you don’t think you’re ready for that next step, maybe this project isn’t for you. However, only you can decide when you’re ready for a beta reader. If you don’t quite know if you want a beta reader at all, this project might help you decide.

Q: Is this project exclusive to novel writers?
No! Everyone is encouraged to join, whether you write short stories, screenplays, nonfiction, poetry, etc. However, in 2007 most (if not all) participants were writing novels. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t join, but be aware that someone might critique your work who is not as knowledgeable in the genre, and vice versa. If you’re interested, make sure to recruit your friends from other areas of the board. If you’re working on shorter pieces, Share Your Work might be a better option, but that’s up to you.

Q: What if I get stuck critiquing in a genre I absolutely hate?!
Don’t worry—that won’t happen. Along with your manuscript excerpt, I will ask you to fill out the answers to a few questions. Among them will be thoughts on your preferred genres, the style you critique in, etc. I read everyone’s submissions carefully to make the most appropriate matches I can.

Q: Uh, YOU assign our critiques? *Nervous*
In 2007, I took everyone’s submissions as private messages. I assigned each writer three submissions to read, scrambling them up as much as possible. So, if I can work it right this year, the readers who you critique will NOT be the same ones critiquing your work. This expands your pool of potential beta readers—not only will you see how someone critiques your work, you also get to see another someone’s else writing style. Some critiques may end up overlapping, but I’ll do what I can to avoid that. The number of critiques you end up working on (and therefore receiving back) may vary this year, depending on the number of participants. I know you’re all busy, so I can promise you no more than five. Also, since I’m controlling the submissions, everyone’s work stays anonymous until the end. Still nervous? That’s okay!

Q: What if I end up not liking any of my critiques and don’t want them for beta readers?
That’s a disappointment, unfortunately, but a risk of the project. You’re not required to ask anyone to be your beta reader. After final critiques are passed around, that’s it—I’m out of the project. It’s up to you to approach (or not) critics to keep working with you. Also, I will anonymously post on the forums the initial excerpts you send me. It serves as a “hey, I want a beta!” call to the rest of the forums. If they like what they see, they’re free to PM me and I’ll give them your user name. You’re more than welcome to work with someone else on your own in addition to participating in The Project.

Q: WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HOLIDAY SEASON? Are you insane?
A) I have a sneaking suspicion that the majority of people who may be interested in The Project are not yet ready for a beta reader and might need some extra incentive to get ready. Plus, there are currently a bunch of WriMos out there writing their novels this month and might want to use this opportunity on their NaNo novels. So, in effect, official rules won’t post until December 1, and the actual critique swapping won’t begin until the first week of January. Once the rules post in December, you'll also be given a questionnaire to fill out related to your manuscript. The extra time ensures you have time to complete this section. This gives you less than two months to get your manuscripts nice and shiny, and plenty of time to debate whether this is worth your time (it is). I also have a sneaking suspicion there are quite a few of you raring to go right now—if that’s that case, drop a note in this thread or send me a PM. Maybe we can work out a more immediate system for you. Also, you’re more than welcome ask for beta readers on the main forum, as usual. B) Yes.

Q: Okay, shut up already! I have work to do!
Yes, you do! Happy editing, betas. :) Oh, and don’t forget to tell your friends we’re here, yeah? I’m sure you still have questions, so leave them in the thread.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I participated in the Great Beta Challenge in 2007 and I loved it! At the very least, you get a few line-by-line crits of your first few pages. And I ended up betaing two novels and getting a few betas out of it myself. What's nice about this is that you get a chance to hear about the ms and read an excerpt of the writing and see if it's something you're interested in. Katiemac does a great job of organizing it too.

I don't know if my NaNo project will be ready by January (if I even remotely like it by then), but it will be incentive to try and get it there on time.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet! This fits in perfectly with the revision schedule I've been envisioning for this NaNo. Extra motivation, wooot!

Sounds like fun. :D

Counselor

Registered
Reaction score
If the prize is my own Beta Reader I am willing to stuff the ballot box and do the time. Even better bribes if it is a Mentor... My head is spinning in circles from conflicting advice to the new writer (me) from the sages (others). Am I excited? You betcha. End of November?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hi katiemac - I wonder if people (like me) who'd like to beta, but don't need anything betaed in return could come to play? Or does it have to be a two-way thing? Thanks! :)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Hi katiemac - I wonder if people (like me) who'd like to beta, but don't need anything betaed in return could come to play? Or does it have to be a two-way thing? Thanks! :)

I'd love for you to join in!

Once I receive everyone's excerpts for critique, I'll be posting them in a thread anonymously. If you see something you'd like to beta, you're more than welcome to let me know, and I'll pass on the contact info. In the meantime, you can also add your name to the "willing beta readers" sticky on the main page of the forum.

If enough people are interested in being a beta but not necessarily want to take part in the critique swap, then let me know that, too. I can figure out a way to include you guys before the official rules post in December. I might ask you to fill out one of the beta questionnaires, for example.

And parametric--like I said upthread, this isn't exclusive to novel writing, so if you have anything lying around, like a short story or essay, you're more than welcome to participate that way.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Katie - When you posted the excerpts last time, didn't you also post the "official" critiques they'd gotten? I sort of think you did and that doing that was also valuable - seeing the types of things the readers commented on.

BTW - I'm in, but I'm content to wait until January. Puma

kimb68

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. This will be a good incentive to get my MS in ship-shape.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I just found this... how exciting, because i almost (squee!) finished the second draft of my WIP today. December 1st, you say? I shall be prepared.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, I'm almost finished the first draft of my YA WiP and planning to spend December on the next draft. I'll definitely do my best to be ready. :)

Reaction score
beta

can i come too?

icon3.gif
-will check this space again in a few days, when dec arrives? terry

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone's welcome! The more the merrier. Check back on Dec. 1 for the entry rules.

robbwindow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tat2008.blogspot.com
I have to focus now, I would like to go Beta, but this year I have 10,000 words to write. I don't think I've had so much to write in such a short time. Reading all this pro-activity of all the writers here on Absolute Writer has given me the boost I need to just focusing on my main objective (for which I was unfortunately loosing hope with). :) So I hope you understand when I say I'm out of this comp however I will bookmark it for a reminder in the calendar, and if I get chance I shall breeze over all the excitement. Good luck all the writers and Beta's this sounds an awesome and very valid project, ultimate kudos goes to all involved.

OKperson

What does BETA mean?

Sorry to be thick. The grey cell is getting on in years and cannot work things out as it once did.:cry:
What does B E T A mean?
I have seen this word/anacronim written elsewhere but an mystified.
Please give guidance to the withered grey cell, then I shall know whether to participate in the BETA project or not.
Thank you for your time
Joan

Status
Not open for further replies.