Conversations with God

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody read these books?

I haven't read the first one, but I got the 2nd one last evening at the library and ended up being so engrossed with it that I'm already over halfway through it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I loved the first two, okay with the third.

It sounds hokey, but some of the stuff in there is engrossing and I happen to relate.... strange but true. Some of the concepts in Book 2 are especially fun to read (universe, space, time, etc.) I especially like the idea that there's no right or wrong, no Hell or Heaven.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've got the first one around somewhere, but I haven't cracked it open. It's been one of the many "I'll read this someday" stack that's at least a thousand books tall.

Also, there's a recent thread on the "Conversations" series in the Christian forum, and it prompted some serious discussion about the book's content vs. the Bible.

As an "alternative" view, I've posted this link a few times before, I've found it amusing though some may find it heretical:
Raymond Smullyan, "Is God a Taoist?"
http://www.mit.edu/people/dpolicar/writing/prose/text/godTaoist.html
Actually, some of the Smullyan writing jibes with what Ray said, though I doubt "Conversations" is written in anywhere near that same zany style. Heck (can I say that?), I should at least read a few pages to see.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Read the first two a couple of years ago. I found them interesting in a reassuring yet scary kind of a way. Just the mention of them managed to spark a very heated debate with my born-again Christian mother.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's interesting to note that the author was a devout Catholic... if that means anything.

Obviously the ideas in this book is divergent from the Christian view (or any established religions, actually). But it's also in line with the messages of the Universalist Church, which is an interesting observation.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I found the title off-putting, not being a religious person myself. However, I sort of ended up forced to read it, and enjoyed it a lot.

Only read the first one though. Wasn't interested enough to read the other two.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I found the title off-putting, not being a religious person myself. However, I sort of ended up forced to read it, and enjoyed it a lot.

Only read the first one though. Wasn't interested enough to read the other two.

The second one is what I'm reading now, and I'm mesmerized by it. No, I don't agree with all of it, but a lot of it makes sense.

I found the 1st one at another library yesterday, though, so I'll be reading it when I finish this one (which I'm almost done now).

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The first one is more "personal" -- it's more about personal faith, will power, etc. etc. The second one is more about the universe and what's around us. The third one, I think, is about relationships.