Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2008, 05:39 AM   #1
JoNightshade
has finally arrived

JoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Italicize internal thoughts or not?

I have one MC, the only POV character in the story. This is NOT going to be in first person, no way, no how, but he does make a lot of mental comments about other characters and situations. IE, he only says about half of what he thinks. Kinda repressed.

Anyway, just looking for thoughts: should I continue to italicize his internal thoughts, or would you be comfortable if I simply left them the same as the rest of the text? Example:

With
“Oh?” Okay, now it was awkward. Yes, the gift was mine. No, that doesn't automatically make us best friends.

Without
“Oh?” Okay, now it was awkward. Yes, the gift was mine. No, that doesn't automatically make us best friends.

Courting Greta has been released into the wide world!
I have also entered the world of self-pubbing with a short story, Christmas in the Californios, 1833.
JoNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Monolith
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Monolith is on a distinguished road
Without sounds like first person.
Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Palmfrond
cereal killer

Palmfrond is well-respected
I think you can establish your own rules here. Italicizing all the MC's thoughts might be a little hard to read, if they are frequent. As Mono points out, if the story is basically *all* thoughts, you have, voila, first person. Like it or not. As long as you decide what your rule is and stick to it, and it's consistent with your genre, you can do what you want. I think.
Palmfrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
JoNightshade
has finally arrived

JoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoNightshade is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Perhaps I ought to have used a longer example; he's not having first-person thoughts every paragraph or anything like that. I'd say average of once a page?

Courting Greta has been released into the wide world!
I have also entered the world of self-pubbing with a short story, Christmas in the Californios, 1833.
JoNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
Albedo
beerful symmetry

Albedo is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAlbedo is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAlbedo is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAlbedo is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAlbedo is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAlbedo is better than ice cream with hot fudgeAlbedo is better than ice cream with hot fudge
If you don't want to italicise, I'd write it like this:

“Oh?” Okay, now it was awkward. Yes, the gift was his (/hers). No, that didn't automatically make them best friends.

Like Monolith said, without italics it makes it seem like a 1st person narrator has interjected. But that's reading it without context. My response might be different if I read a whole page.
Albedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Shady Lane
my name is hannah

Shady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I use italics when I'm changing the word normally used for the speaker.

Don't worry. I'll explain.

When I'm in 3rd person:

"Oh?” Okay, now it was awkward. Yes, the gift was his. No, that didn't make them best friends.

Sans italics.

or:

Yes, the gift was mine. No, that doesn't automatically make us best friends.

with italics. Because you're taking a speaker who's usually referred to as "he" and making him an "I."

Works in 1st person too. Making up my own example that will work better for this:

"I love you too," I said. God, I'm an idiot.

no italics. Or:

"I love you too, I said. God, you're an idiot.

'cause you change persons there too.

Do I make sense at all?

INVINCIBLE SUMMER--Simon Pulse, 2011 BUY IT
GONE, GONE, GONE--Coming APRIL 17th, 2012, Simon Pulse BUY IT
TEETH--Coming JANUARY 1ST, 2013, Simon Pulse
--
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:
ZOMBIE TAG--Coming DECEMBER 20th, 2011, Roaring Brook Press BUY IT

MARCO IMPOSSIBLE--Coming MARCH 2013, Roaring Brook Press

Shady Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's all about clarity and consistency

In first person, there's no need to italicize (because it's first person!) unless there's ambiguity, or you want to be clear that it's some kind of immediate thoughts:

She walked through the door. She was radiant. Wow, I can just pee my pants how gorgeous she is. Then I caught myself thinking impure thoughts about her.
In third person, the general rule is that a direct thought should be italics to be set apart from the narrative:

She walked through the door. She was radiant. Wow, I can just pee my pants how gorgeous she is, he thought. Then he caught himself thinking impure thoughts about her.
If it's indirect thought, however, there's no need for italics:

She walked through the door. She was radiant. Wow, he could just pee his pants how gorgeous she was. Then he caught himself thinking impure thoughts about her.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between • A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
tehuti88
Mackinac Island Fanatic

tehuti88 is a glorious beacon of lighttehuti88 is a glorious beacon of light
I do what maestrowork mentions. If it's direct thoughts written exactly as the character thinks them (usually in first person since that's how most people think), I italicize. If it's just a summary/paraphrase of what the character is thinking (and ends up not being in first person), I don't italicize.

As already mentioned, not italicizing (or otherwise indicating) first-person thoughts makes it seem like the story is suddenly shifting to first-person POV, which is jarring.

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho

Official Mackinac Island Fanatic!

Manabozho is my Savior.

~~~

Writer of long online fantasy/mythology serials. Always looking for interested readers.
tehuti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
ASHER
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ASHER is on a distinguished road
I was going to make a suggestion but everyone else beat me to it! The first novel I wrote was in first person, and my current project is in third. In certain parts, though, I really try to capture the "voice" and personality of whomever the novel is focusing in at the time. I've found that that often makes reads much more scintillating, so I really think you can pull that off with the advice Albedo gave you! Like everyone says, either italicize or reword it. But, you're the writer, and it just depends on the tone you're trying to achieve. Personally, I like it a little better changed and in third person w/o the italics, but that's just one opinion!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
mrockwell
Just another genre hack

mrockwell is on a distinguished road
Your editor/publisher may also have something to say on the issue. Wizards of the Coast, for instance, has pretty specific rules on how to delineate internal thoughts.

Pick something, be consistent, but don't worry about it too much, as it could easily be changed by TPTB.

-- Marcy
The Shard Axe, Wizards of the Coast, 2011
Legacy of Wolves, Wizards of the Coast, 2007
Twitter: @MarcyRockwell
My website: Castles High and Fair
mrockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
funidream
practical experience, FTW

funidream has a spectacular aurafunidream has a spectacular aura
I italicize internal thoughts in my manuscripts, and that's how they were eventually published (Berkley/Penguin). I think it is a common style.

MIDWIFE OF THE BLUE RIDGE
"Blevins doesn't soft-peddle the brutal realities of women's lot in the colonies, but she gives strong, skilled Maggie pluck and hope." - Publishers Weekly

THE TORY WIDOW

"...action and adventure, where the pages go by quickly as scenes are brought to life with evocative language and unerring syntax." - Historical Novels Review
funidream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
The Lonely One
Why is a raven like a writing desk?

The Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputation
Both ways have been done successfully.

“Oh?” Okay, now it was awkward. Yes, the gift was mine, he thought. No, that doesn't automatically make us best friends.

or

“Oh?” Okay, now it was awkward. He thought: Yes, the gift was mine. No, that doesn't automatically make us best friends.

There are a million ways to do it, italics or not.

"There is no language without deceit." -Italo Calvino, Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Always work at making different mistakes and you'll get there.
The Lonely One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
Shweta
Sick and absent

Shweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Minor diversion into cog sci --

Italicizing, like quotes, sets the words off into a different visual and cognitive "space" - in this case, cognitively the space of the character's thoughts. Not italicizing them keeps them in the same space as the main narrative.

So italicizing can make this distinction clearer (it's not the narrator it's the character), but sort of distances the thoughts by way of the separation.
Not italicizing, on the other hand, can make pull the thoughts closer to the narrative voice. But if that gets them too close, you get reader confusion (which space am I in/why isn't it consistent).

Every tool in our kit has an effect on the reader's brain. What matters is that the effect we get is the one we want, yes?

Apsara and Displaced, Goblin Fruit, summer 2009
Nira and I, Strange Horizons, March 16th 2009
website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichroic View Post
The tricksters have unionized.
Be very afraid.
---
2009 Acceptances: 6
Year 3 Submission game score: 1.5
Pieces currently out: 3
Shweta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
donroc
Historicals and Horror rule

donroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonroc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I italicize, and that is the way it is published.

"Chronology is not destiny"
Donald Michael Platt

"If, as Napoleon said, History is a myth agreed upon, let mine be the definitive myth."
Donald Michael Platt

www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page
donroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
johnzakour
Dangerous with a Keyboard

johnzakour has earned our admirationjohnzakour has earned our admirationjohnzakour has earned our admirationjohnzakour has earned our admiration
Just be consistent and you will be fine. Since my books tend to deal first person with telepathy I never italicize regular thoughts but I do italicize characters thoughts to others.

www.myspace.com/johnzakour

http://jzwriting.blogspot.com/ yes I am blogging about the writing process from mind to book store now.
johnzakour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #16
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Italicization is the common way of doing this.

You don't necessarily have to italicize (see, for example, The Killer Angels.)

The rule is: Don't confuse the reader.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #17
OpheliaRevived
Real Men Have Gills

OpheliaRevived is a shiny, shiny jewelOpheliaRevived is a shiny, shiny jewel
I like the use of italics for thoughts.
OpheliaRevived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #18
Brindle Chase
Dancing on the edge

Brindle Chase has earned our admirationBrindle Chase has earned our admirationBrindle Chase has earned our admirationBrindle Chase has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmfrond View Post
I think you can establish your own rules here. Italicizing all the MC's thoughts might be a little hard to read, if they are frequent. As Mono points out, if the story is basically *all* thoughts, you have, voila, first person. Like it or not. As long as you decide what your rule is and stick to it, and it's consistent with your genre, you can do what you want. I think.
Yep yep. Be consistent and the reader will get the hang of your style.

Gothic City Lights
The Grass is Always Greener
Diva-licious
Trading Up
Brindle Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 AM   #19
NatJM

NatJM is on a distinguished road
Great thread, I was asking myself exactly the same question!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #20
AuthorGuy

AuthorGuy is on a distinguished road
My editor told me to either a) italicize, but without any phrase like 'he thought to himself', or b) use single quotes without italics, and 'he thought to himself' is OK. I mostly use the first method, but only for very short thoughts. I don't think in great long paragraphs to myself all the time and find it very unrealistic to read. I present my character's internal states as flashes of emotion or sensation, with a short thought fragment to spell it out if needed.

Steampunk Santa
That first sleigh had to come from somewhere!
AuthorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #21
mscelina
Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you

Location: Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
mscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The style rules at the houses I edit for say to italicize thoughts but you cannot use any sort of tag with it.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:12 AM   #22
Severian

Severian is on a distinguished road
I personally use italics for thoughts in my own scribblings.
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,/ And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, "Lenore!"/ This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, "Lenore"/ Merely this, and nothing more.
Severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #23
Brandt
give it to me straight

Brandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for PresidentBrandt should run for President
Great contributions here. Good info for writers like myself with less experience.

Thanks for the thread.
Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Sagana

Sagana is a shiny, shiny jewelSagana is a shiny, shiny jewel
Oh! This was very helpful to me also. Thanks for finding and bumping it.
Sagana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #25
VoireyLinger
Angel Wing Fetish

VoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of lightVoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of light
If the MS is third and the internalized thought is first, I use italics. if not, I leave it alone.