Anyone at the Small Press Book Fair in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I went today and what a great experience it was. First of all, it's free, which is always nice. Then there were more than one hundred publishers manning booths and it was exciting to see the variety of books out there. I bought three. And it was quite crowded and that was nice to see. There are still a lot of people out there who are reading books.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
The bad news is that it ended yesterday, but the good news is that this was the 21st annual conference, so hopefully it will be back next year. Also, you can see the list of publishers by going to: www.nycip.org.

Adam Hammonds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adam-hammonds.com
Yeah, I went. My second time. It's sweet and all, but, I have to say I HATE browsing for books when the author is eyeing me the whole time. I had one guy go: "Yes, that's me. The book you're holding is me." I was like, great, dude. After a while of me flipping through it and watching him watch me in my peripheral vision, he goes, "Do you like Vonnegut?" Uh, yeah. "Do you like Kafka?" Uh, yeah. "Well, my book has been described as a mixture of Vonnegut and Kafka. With a little Garcia Marquez thrown in." Wow, I said. Good company. Then I quickly left.

I'm sure Kurt Garcia-Kafka's masterpiece was exactly that, but, Christ almighty, do we need to name-drop and eyeball me and pressurize and sell-sell-sell the ENTIRE time I'm innocently fondling your lifework? I think not.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
That's so funny because I was sitting at a table with some friends from one small press. Then there was another table next to us manned by another small press. And then there was an unmanned table and absolutely everyone was going to that table and looking through the books. we concluded we'd do better if we all went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.