Sherlock Holmes

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I know we have a lot of Sherlock fans on this board. I have never read anything Sherlock-related before (although maybe one of those hardback children's versions years ago).

Anyway, I realize this makes me a sad person. So where do I start? I was on Amazon and noticed this complete collection, which has all four novels and 56 short stories. Is that "complete"? And should I pick that up, could I read it cover to cover in the order they present?

As always, if I'm going to take the plunge, I want to do it right. ;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's really no need to read the stories in any kind of order unless you just want to. The story all stand alone. There might be an occasional reference to some past case in one of the latter stories, but it's unimportant. However, you might want to start with A Study in Scarlet just because it's the first Holmes story.

As for your choice of collections, it would be okay. The only negative I see is that it's an almost 1000 page book and sometimes those have smaller print and can be a bit inconvenient to read. It depends on the person.

If you run into any questions along the way, just ask. I have two annotated versions of the complete Holmes stories (both large, two-volume sets). However, for general reading I prefer the small paperbacks I have.

Last edited:

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that is the complete canon of Holmes stories and novels done by Doyle. And the edition you link to looks like it presents them in the order published by him. Whether the internal chronological order is the same as the published order (or different as with, say, the Narnia books) I don't know, but if you like them I'm not sure the order you read them in really matters.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that is the complete canon of Holmes stories and novels done by Doyle. And the edition you link to looks like it presents them in the order published by him. Whether the internal chronological order is the same as the published order (or different as with, say, the Narnia books) I don't know, but if you like them I'm not sure the order you read them in really matters.

I'm guessing it doesn't matter much in terms of the short stories. But I didn't know if the short stories or novels came first, or whether they were all published crazy-like and mixed up.

The collection looks nice and easy, but I'm afraid the print might be too small. If that's the case I'll purchase them separately, hence the reading order.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been plowing through them myself, probably out of order, but enjoying it nevertheless. I'm still halfway through The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which has been an absolute blast.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been plowing through them myself, probably out of order, but enjoying it nevertheless. I'm still halfway through The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which has been an absolute blast.
Uh, oh. Some people read the stories and just enjoy them; for others the whole Sherlock Holmes thing gets into their blood. That's when you start buying annotated collections and subscribing to The Strand magazine.

A bit of trivia: the character of Sherlock Holmes was inspired by Dr. Bell, one of Doyle's professors when he was in college.

I think the real genius of Doyle was coming up with "the Watson"--a character who can know everything that the sleuth knows (and relay it to the reader), but who does not see the same things in the facts before him as the sleuth does.

It's all great fun.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, oh. Some people read the stories and just enjoy them; for others the whole Sherlock Holmes thing gets into their blood. That's when you start buying annotated collections and subscribing to The Strand magazine.

A bit of trivia: the character of Sherlock Holmes was inspired by Dr. Bell, one of Doyle's professors when he was in college.

I think the real genius of Doyle was coming up with "the Watson"--a character who can know everything that the sleuth knows (and relay it to the reader), but who does not see the same things in the facts before him as the sleuth does.

It's all great fun.

It is a lot of fun! I read The Hound of the Baskervilles way back as a girl, but then I moved on to other things, only occasionally reading one of the stories. I just recently started re-reading them again (some I've not read before) and find I enjoy them a lot more as a grownup than I did as a kid.

And now I'm gong to head off and finish reading.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I think it is a good idea to read them chronologically. First, the character of Holmes, as in all series, tends to evolve a bit as the stories progress. And second, I would say that the earlier stories are the better ones. By the time you reach the later ones, some of which objectively aren't nearly as good, Holmes and Wason are so firmly entrenched in your consciousness that it hardly matters -- they're still great fun.

But if you read the later stories first, you might not be as taken with them.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I have a two-volume paperback set - it looks very similar to the one you linked. Anyway I am quite happy with them. I think if it was one-volume paperback size, I might be afraid of breaking the spine completely after a while.

I am compelled to point out that Sherlock Holmes refers to Watson as his "Boswell," and it is generally assumed that the Holmes/Watson dynamic was based on Johnson and Boswell.

- Jo, who is as obsessed with Samuel Johnson as some people are with Holmes.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh - I just realized. The one you linked IS what I have - it comes in two volumes. Yes, get it, it's very decent and readable and I THINK they are in chronological story order.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Another collection link, with titles listed in order, with the texts available online at multiple websites: http://www.sherlockian.net/canon/

A Study In Scarlet is a good place to start! You can't afford to miss the introduction of two of the most well-known characters in detective literature!

“Dr. Watson, Mr. Sherlock Holmes,” said Stamford, introducing us.

“How are you?” he said cordially, gripping my hand with a strength for which I should hardly have given him credit. “You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.”

“How on earth did you know that?” I asked in astonishment.

Conan Doyle's prose isn't the worst ever written, either.

-Derek

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read Holmes since I was a kid. Only read a few of the short stories, but I have wanted to read them all. I really enjoyed them then, and think I would more now.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score

This is one of the reasons I decided to finally read them, actually. Not that it's the same, but I'm a fan of House (the character more so than the show itself) so I figured it was time to go to the source material.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Oh - I just realized. The one you linked IS what I have - it comes in two volumes. Yes, get it, it's very decent and readable and I THINK they are in chronological story order.

Great! I see now where it says it's a two-volume pack. But the type is okay? I guess the best bet is to go to the bookstore and check it out myself. I'm wary of tiny fonts these days, which is sometimes standard in collections like these.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am compelled to point out that Sherlock Holmes refers to Watson as his "Boswell," and it is generally assumed that the Holmes/Watson dynamic was based on Johnson and Boswell.

- Jo, who is as obsessed with Samuel Johnson as some people are with Holmes.
Holmes was referring to Watson as "his Bowell" merely for writing the narration of his cases. I was referring to Doyle employing Watson to show the "facts of the case" to the reader, while still keeping what's in Holmes's own mind a mystery.

Doyle read the stories of a fictional French detective (the correct spelling of the name escapes me at the moment) when he was younger. I read one of the book about this French detective and you can see several similarities between him and Holmes.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great! I see now where it says it's a two-volume pack. But the type is okay? I guess the best bet is to go to the bookstore and check it out myself. I'm wary of tiny fonts these days, which is sometimes standard in collections like these.
Are you sure? I think the one you linked to was a former two-volume set made into one volume. I'd have to go back and look to be sure.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My only exposure to Sherlock Holmes is the WAY more awesome than it should be:

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened.

ITs a video game adventure wherein you play as the good Holmes and occasionally as Watson as you try to figure out a mystery of some...minor cult of some...kind.

Here's a hint: It starts with a C and lives in Ryleth.

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I was told ...

when I was a little girl, to read Sherlock Holmes to prepare me for my Elizabethan history studies. I had to read thousands of books before I got all the facts straight and right. It took me 38 years to study Elizabethan history with rests in between because people were after me all the time.:tongue

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of the four or five best mysteries ever, a truly magnificent book. The other three novels are good, but that was the pinnacle. I reread it every few years.

I also reread all the Nero Wolfe books regularly. According to some folks, Wolfe is the offspring of Holmes and Irene Adler.

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Sherlock Holmes!

Any fans? I've been hooked since I first read A Study In Scarlet way too many years ago.

Funny, because other than Holmes, I'm not a fan of mysteries at all.
I own a very well worn collection of the shorts and novels and couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I've been through that thing.

There's something about Doyle that carries me back to those dim London streets with who knows what lurking around each corner. Can't get enough.

EG