Registered
Reaction score
Also, the dialogue in the book is written like this:

Mike said: "Go away..."

She screamed: "No, I will not!"

Instead of

"Go away" he begged.

"No, I will not leave!" she screamed.

Why is that? Is this common? Is it a PD James thing?

Last edited:

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
How can I have an honest discussion with you about the differences between the film and the book if you're dead-set on not reading the book?

I really enjoyed both the film and the book, although they are radically different in terms of what happens, and the main character is really not the same guy at all. Basically, it's the same premise (in a world that believes it is dying due to a 20-year gap in fertility, a man must take responsibility for a girl who miraculously has gotten pregnant) and the same mood/tone (dark, despairing, yet celebratory of life), and everything else is flexible.

I'd love to have a long conversation about it with someone who HAS read the book and seen the movie. Anybody out there like this?

Reaction score
I are confuzzled.

Why do you have the book in front of you if you don't plan to read it?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I read the book many years ago, like when it first came out, and I remember being quite moved by the premise. I haven't seen the movie but I don't expect to discuss the movie with anyone, seeing as how I haven't seen it and all.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know. To answer both of you.

I'm not a SciFi fan. Now, this might not be considered as SciFi, but to me, it is.

I don't like to read after seeing the movie. I prefer it the other way around. That's just me.

The book in front of me is not mine. I'm sending it to somebody who wanted it, today, so I can't read it. What I did was open it to see if I could happen to come upon something that read like what I'd seen in the movie, so I could get a quick feel for it and if it followed the movie (or if the movie followed it...) and what I saw confused me.

Better?

Reaction score
Ah. I see, yes.

Can't help you further though, given the fact I haven't read the book or seen the movie; I was merely temporarily confuzzlecated. :D

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
How do you know if it's scifi to you before you read it?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, SCRATCH my question completely. Lets focus on the dialogue question I asked.

Can somebody answer that?

OR does everybody just want to pick at something?

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to pick at a cheesecake. yum.

PD James is British. British writers have different traditions when it comes to writing dialogue. It could be just one of those things. I have not read any PD James so I can't say whether it's just her. But I have noticed that the British authors I read do construct their sentences differently.

And I don't think Children of Men is sci fi. It's more speculative fiction. Give it a try. Come on. You're reading The Time Traveler's Wife for the book club. That could be classified as sci fi too.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to pick at a cheesecake. yum.

PD James is British. British writers have different traditions when it comes to writing dialogue. It could be just one of those things. I have not read any PD James so I can't say whether it's just her. But I have noticed that the British authors I read do construct their sentences differently.

And I don't think Children of Men is sci fi. It's more speculative fiction. Give it a try. Come on. You're reading The Time Traveler's Wife for the book club. That could be classified as sci fi too.

I can't now - I just packaged it up and dropped it in the mail.

I want to...and maybe I will someday. If for anything to see how this British dialogue stuff works. ;)

Speculative Fiction...I like that.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
How can I have an honest discussion with you about the differences between the film and the book if you're dead-set on not reading the book?

I really enjoyed both the film and the book, although they are radically different in terms of what happens, and the main character is really not the same guy at all. Basically, it's the same premise (in a world that believes it is dying due to a 20-year gap in fertility, a man must take responsibility for a girl who miraculously has gotten pregnant) and the same mood/tone (dark, despairing, yet celebratory of life), and everything else is flexible.

I'd love to have a long conversation about it with someone who HAS read the book and seen the movie. Anybody out there like this?
I just finished the book and I think this is one of those rare occurrences where the movie is better than the book.

Much better, in my opinion.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I've actually both read the book and seen the movie.

Unfortunately, it's been years since I read the book so I can't really discuss the differences.