The Thirteenth Tale

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I read this quite a while ago, so I don't remember a ton of the details. I had heard a lot of really great things about it before I read it, and I remember thinking that while I did enjoy it, it didn't quite live up to all of the hype I had heard. That book is one of the reasons I try not to read too many reviews of books before I read them anymore. Synopses are fine, but reviews can really skew my vision of the book before I even read it.
But it was good. I would read anything else she came out with, although I don't think she has yet. I think I remember it also starting out a little slow, but I was very glad that I didn't give up on it.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I read it after it came out a few years ago. I loved it! And I agree it took a while for the hook. And I never figured out what was the timeframe for the book. There was no mention of computers or cell phones and the protagonist seemed dependent on trains and cabs. Really...never figured out the timeframe, but I decided it was modern. I love the gothic-ness to the novel. And I thought the old woman was an excellent story teller.

Manderley

Slowly does it.
Registered
Reaction score
I quite enjoyed it, but I didn't much like the ending. I thought the solution was a bit too far fetched. But I loved all the references to other books in the gothic genre!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it took a bit to get hooked. but was very glad I read it. also the unfolding of the MC's personality was a bit confusing.(let's see if I remember, it's been like a year) when she was first in the bookshop I saw her as passionate but later those traits were meant as reclusive, kinda shy. I agree that the explanation at the end was a bit of a stretch, it would have worked just a little more with a few more hints scattered throughout. it would work well though in a visual setting, like a movie. overall though, it's a book I would recommend and kept it for a repeat read.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
I read it before all the hype and loved it. I usually enjoy stories told within a "frame" of some kind. I wish there were more contemporary Gothic books like this one.

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I read it on recommendation from Manderley. It took awhile for the book to gel, but when it did I whipped through it. It's on loan to a friend, but I hope to re-read (at least the story within the story") it again this year. It easily became one of my all time favorite books. I didn't find the denouemnet far fetched.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I read it, liked it very much. Took a while for it to take,but when it did I really got into it.