Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Heath
practical experience, FTW

Heath is on a distinguished road
What does chloroform smell like?

Has anyone smelled it? Is it a sweet aroma? Vinegar-like? Is it odorless?

The Eyes of the Monster - 115k words - submitting

Novels in Progress:
Defending the Vampire
Legal Insanity
Entropy's Madness

Short stories:
"The Shadow People" - "Becoming the Monster" - "No Longer Human"

Non-Fiction: Published many of legal articles
Translations: "Enjin no Roman" - Japanese to English
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 AM   #2
alleycat
Ho Ho . . . Ack! Ack!
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Have you ever smelled the refrigerant of an air-conditioner unit used being serviced? I believe that is suppose to be very close to chloroform.

It's basically odorless at low levels.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 AM   #3
cbenoi1
Travelling around the sun

cbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for President
I have a scene where my MC stuffs Chroloform into a pluggable Glade Air Wick air freshener and puts it in a closed room to trap a baddie. Oil-based perfumes apparently mask the odor while not altering the ester's chemistry. I haven't checked into this yet.

From what found I have so far, it has a sweet, pleasant smell. Some might add it has some light nutty flavor to it.

I'm interested in knowing more too.

-cb

Last edited by cbenoi1; 01-07-2009 at 04:44 AM.
cbenoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A similar discussion came up recently that might be helpful.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
pdr
Banned

pdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am old enough...

to have been anesthetized with chloroform. It smelt sickly sweet, a cloying scent.
pdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
JennaGlatzer
wishes you happiness

JennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJennaGlatzer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hang on, I'll go check.

*Sniff*

*Sniff*

Hmm, it smells like... sort of like...

*Sniff*

KERTHUNK.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthood
Doesn't have a strong smell, very slightly sweet and obviously 'chemical'
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Tsu Dho Nimh

Tsu Dho Nimh is a splendid one to beholdTsu Dho Nimh is a splendid one to beholdTsu Dho Nimh is a splendid one to behold
Sweet but not flowery, not overpowering, and easily recognizable if you have ever used it.

Does NOT smell like AC refrigerant.
Tsu Dho Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
Heath

Heath is on a distinguished road
Thanks, all!

I had written "sweet, ether-like aroma," and didn't want to identify it as chloroform per se because the point of view character has no idea what it is. Who would know except a doctor anyway?

The Eyes of the Monster - 115k words - submitting

Novels in Progress:
Defending the Vampire
Legal Insanity
Entropy's Madness

Short stories:
"The Shadow People" - "Becoming the Monster" - "No Longer Human"

Non-Fiction: Published many of legal articles
Translations: "Enjin no Roman" - Japanese to English

Last edited by Heath; 01-08-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #10
KikiteNeko

KikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It smells like being unconscious.

KikiteNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #11
KikiteNeko

KikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKikiteNeko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Thanks, all!

I had written "sweet, ether-like aroma," and didn't want to identify it as chloroform per se because the point of view character has no idea what it is. Who would know except a doctor anyway?

Casey Anthony would know

KikiteNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #12
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthoodwaylander is a candidate for sainthood
Ether smells sweeter
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
2Wheels
Anachronista

2Wheels has a spectacular aura
Just remember that the darn stuff will melt plastic (given enough time), evaporates before you can say "WTF?" (thus feels cold to the touch) and has such low surface tension that it runs out of any pipette you try to suck it up into ...!
(BTW have not stuck my head under the fume hood to smell it. Not going to either).
2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #14
CharlotteAmbrose

CharlotteAmbrose is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaGlatzer View Post
Hang on, I'll go check.

*Sniff*

*Sniff*

Hmm, it smells like... sort of like...

*Sniff*

KERTHUNK.

Ha! I thought that was a perfect answer..
Jealousy differs from envy in that jealousy is about something one has and is afraid of losing, while envy refers to something one does not have and either wants to acquire or to prevent another from acquiring.

"I planned to murder the new age Romeo." - Alexandria
CharlotteAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote