The Shack

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I've ordered this book. What did you think of it?

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I did not like it very much for a variety of reasons. The main ones being:

1. Seemed like the author was airing a lot of theological opinions/perspectives under the guise of a fiction story. I think the danger here is that he is essentially writing a theological work but getting out of any orthodox tight spots by claiming it's "fiction".

2. I didn't love the writing style.

3. I found much of the book to be convenient dialogue style segments where the God-character says a "truth", and the main character has some sort of formulaic question that fits nicely.

At any rate, I think it's worth a read and it seemed to really resonate with a lot of people. Don't expect a literary feat, though - parts of it were slow going. I would recommend thinking critically about the content and, especially if you are reading it from a Christian perspective, evaluating the themes in light of the historic Christian faith.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't get very far into the book. The dialogue was just way too unrealistic, even the stuff between him and his kids. It sounded like an interesting concept, but it was just poorly written IMHO.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I finished this awhile ago and forgot to post. I found the concept was much better than how it was actually delivered. The conversations with "God" were unrealistic and wierd.
Mind you overall it was pretty good and there were some memorable parts. I'd probably recommend it to someone that is grieving.

hitchhiker

Human Torpedo
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished it myself

My perspective isn't much different than the others listed. I found the overall concept simply a great idea for a book. I'm certainly not a critic, but I did have a few problems with the writing (style/dialogue).

Having said that I would recommend this book to those who are christians and understand the Holy Trinity. I understand some purists don't care much for the book - as in how they (Holy Trinity) are portrayed and their dialogue, but even in fiction I saw many positives one could draw from the story. Actually since it's fiction I believe non-believers would/could benefit from the way it makes the reader do his or her own soul searching regarding realtionships with family, friends, and even strangers.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
A friend recommended reading The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. In its current form it's published by Windblown Media. I've heard that he self-published.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this book. I've only read the first few chapters.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I read it (because my mother-in-law gave it to me for Christmas, hoping to inspire me to go to church) and, yes, it is self-published. It's an amazing success story for a self-published book, but I think Christian fiction, in general, has more success with self-publishing than other genres. Christian writers have an established network for marketing their books through churches and other religious organizations.

I thought the first few chapters (before he arrived at the shack) were very well-written and evenly paced. I was intrigued even though I resisted the idea of "getting into" a religious novel (It's not that I have a problem with Christian fiction, but it appeals to me about as much as Romance. Other people love it, but it's just not what I read.). But I started to lose interest when the main character met with God. The theology was very interesting from that point on (I've never believed in hell and this "God" tries to explain to the main character that hell is a human concept--that a merciful God would not eternally punish his/her children.), but the main character literally stays at the shack from then on. For about three-quarters of the book, he simply talks to God, talks the Holy Spirit, chats with Jesus and then chats with God again. I needed a little action in there. And I really needed Jesus to quit grinning and chuckling so much.

I think it could easily have gotten published through more traditional means, but I wonder whether it would have been so successful. This author's story--the fact that his target audience was his grandchildren and that he wrote it simply as a therapy of sorts--is part of its appeal. I am not generally a fan of self-publishing but, in this author's case, he clearly had the right combination of factors working in his favor.

I think it will be a while before we see another self-published novel on the best seller list.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since Benny has secured the china, off we go. :)

ETA: and since there is already a thread for this in the Bookclub, I'm going to merge them.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I thought the first few chapters (before he arrived at the shack) were very well-written and evenly paced. I was intrigued even though I resisted the idea of "getting into" a religious novel (It's not that I have a problem with Christian fiction, but it appeals to me about as much as Romance. Other people love it, but it's just not what I read.). But I started to lose interest when the main character met with God. The theology was very interesting from that point on (I've never believed in hell and this "God" tries to explain to the main character that hell is a human concept--that a merciful God would not eternally punish his/her children.), but the main character literally stays at the shack from then on. For about three-quarters of the book, he simply talks to God, talks the Holy Spirit, chats with Jesus and then chats with God again. I needed a little action in there. And I really needed Jesus to quit grinning and chuckling so much.

I agree with everything you've said here.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the novel so I thought I'd revive this discussion. Didn't anyone notice the parallels to The Matrix? Geez, the guy even uses the term "matrix," nevermind the black woman (God) cooking in the kitchen.

I agree that the novel started well but degenerated into boring territory after the first day at the shack. There was very little surprising or interesting here and the theology was heavy-handed. The way he treated the concepts of love and forgiveness was nice but not enough to save this story, for me.

I don't read Christian literature so I don't know how it's "supposed" to be done. Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't find this book very good.
I needed a little action in there. And I really needed Jesus to quit grinning and chuckling so much.
Yes! If he's so darn happy, what did he really "sacrifice" (aside from that just being annoying)?