Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Animals & Nature
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
MordechaiGoodbuds
Banned

MordechaiGoodbuds is on a distinguished road
Porcupines make good pets

While researching my book, I reread Audubon's Quadrupeds.

Bachman and Audubon kept many animals in captivity (including elk) so Audubon could paint them.

Some, like flying squirrels, not surprisingly made good pets. But the porcupine was a surprise.

Apparently, porcupine spines are harmless when the animal is not alarmed. The spines are flattened against the animals skin. Porcupines are affectionate and rub against peoples' legs, like cats, and there's no danger of getting stuck with the spines.

The spines stand up when the animal is frightened.

Audubon said they ate every kind of vegetable food, including apples, but liked bread best.

Last edited by MordechaiGoodbuds; 01-31-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: comma
MordechaiGoodbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Stlight
ideas are floating where they will

Location: where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
Stlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
But think how often your cats or dogs are frightened for no clear reason. Mine go on alert when someone walks down the street. Rign the doorbell - freaking out here.

On the other hand, porcupines might be less tense than dogs and cats. (I always thought the cats were tense until I got dogs.)
Stlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Clair Dickson
A dark core to every cloud

Clair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Hey now, don't go spreading these sort of things about porcupines! Porcupines prefer misinformation.

In fact, the quills are deadly. Stay away! Stay far away!!!

(Want some fun-- click here. No ONE messes with porcupines.)

Clair Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
PaperTiger
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

PaperTiger is on a distinguished road
Interesting--I've never known anyone who kept a Porcupine as a pet. Seems unpredictable (with the spines)--could lead to injury for the owner or guests--and perhaps not completely practical as difficult to travel with or transport.

Last edited by PaperTiger; 07-05-2009 at 12:15 AM.
PaperTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Vomaxx
practical experience, FTW

Vomaxx has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordechaiGoodbuds View Post
The spines stand up when the animal is frightened.
Just hope your porcupine isn't sitting in your lap when someone slams the door.
Vomaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Oberon
practical experience, FTW

Oberon is a shiny, shiny jewelOberon is a shiny, shiny jewel
I know porcupines. I lived with them in Wyoming, not as pets. My dog certainly knew them, to his distress, and he never learned. A face full of quills is no fun, for dog or owner. They're barbed, and work their way in. We sometimes had to pull them out from inside his cheeks, and once had to put him under to get them out of his throat. Also, they chew wood, even linoleum, apparently for salt or something, witness my mother's front porch. I once witnessed a mating, it sounded like a cat fight, and no wonder. The old one-liner: How do porcupines make love? Very carefully.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Canotila
Sever your leg please.

Canotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for President
I imagine Audobons idea of a good pet might be a bit different than a member of the modern public.

My cousin raised an orphan skunk once. They didn't lock her up or anything. She just roamed the farm like a farm cat, but she stayed very tame. They would open the door to let her in to eat, then open it again to let her out when she wanted out. She came by every day for years and loved sitting in their laps getting petted. She was never descented either, and they claim she never sprayed anybody or any other animal on the farm, including their dog (who she was raised with).

I imagine the right porcupine might function similarly in the right environment. Probably wouldn't make the best pet for everybody, but the right porc for the right person could be wonderful for the two of them.
Canotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
Crazystars
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Crazystars is on a distinguished road
Porcupines make good pets

Nope I wouldnt tattoo.I have a 17 year old TB mare with a lip tattoo that is hardly readable. My cats are indoor only and the likelyhood of them getting out without someone noticing is super slim. All of my pets are chipped. Ive never lost a dog or cat in my life, knock on wood. I think tattooing can be a good idea, but there are so many better alternatives IMO.
Crazystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:39 AM   #9
dgiharris
Disgruntled Scientist

dgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair Dickson View Post
Hey now, don't go spreading these sort of things about porcupines! Porcupines prefer misinformation.

In fact, the quills are deadly. Stay away! Stay far away!!!

(Want some fun-- click here. No ONE messes with porcupines.)
yes, don't F**K with a porcupine.

Seems some dogs have to learn the hard way though

Incidentally, I saw a porcupine in the wild (during a military field exercise). It surprised me, much bigger than I expected, probably weighed around 30-40 lbs. But the most surprising thing was how calm it was, walked right past us and then it CLIMBED A TREE and went to sleep on a branch 30 ft in the air LOL.

Mel...
Old 10-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Canotila
Sever your leg please.

Canotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for President
One time we were driving in the dark on a narrow dirt road when my friend slammed on the breaks. There was a huge porcupine just hanging out in the road. He spanned the whole width of the road, his nose to the end of his tail.

My friend just honked the horn for a while, and we ended up sitting there for half an hour. We kept daring each other to go and poke him with a stick to get him moving....nobody was drunk enough to do it. lol!
Canotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
NewKidOldKid
diplomat

NewKidOldKid has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlight View Post
But think how often your cats or dogs are frightened for no clear reason. Mine go on alert when someone walks down the street. Rign the doorbell - freaking out here.
On the other hand, porcupines might be less tense than dogs and cats. (I always thought the cats were tense until I got dogs.)
I thought it was just my dog. The smallest thing sets him off and he starts bouncing off the walls. Let's not even talk about the doorbell. I swear the cat looks at him like he's crazy.
NewKidOldKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
timp67
Guinea pig in the laboratory of God

timp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is the BEST thread on AW! LOL.

THE BOY WHO HOWLED
from Bloomsbury USA Children's Books

timp67 is offline   Reply With Quote