What makes a "cozy" mystery

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, when I was compiling my list of agents that I would like to query, I found a agent who was adamant that he didn't want cozy mysteries. He went on to say that he wanted mysteries of a literary quality, with high character development. But not a crime book or a who-done-it or a thriller. He also had a problem with books written in first person. (Kinda beside the point, but he was pretty passionate about it.)

Okay I admit... I was confused. I've been trying to figure out what a "cozy" mystery is in comparison to a another type of mystery that isn't a thriller or focused on a crime. A book with literary quality that fits in the overall genre of mystery writing? Can someone help me decipher what he means?

My mystery fits some of the characteristics of a cozy. For example the small town setting, a romantic subplot with nothing graphic, and the focus on the interactions of the characters. But it also doesn't fit. My protag is a guy, there is some violence, and some language.

I don't know whether to query the guy or not... At least my book is written in third person... :e2hammer:

Thanks

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
To me this agent is looking for books along the lines of Literary Crime; he's not wanting anything that is genre. I'm think of authors like Elmore Leonard; maybe Ian Rankin.

To me your book is very much leaning towards Cozy; definitely a genre novel. I would expect a Literary Crime novel to be very dark; very gritty; delving into a dark psychology.

My instinct would be not to submit to this one; but if you want to what harm will it do?

*Bemused by an agent looking for Literary fiction; but hates first person*

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but when I think of cozy, I think along the lines of The Hardy Boys, or Nancy Drew- Updated of course-

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Cozies generally go along the lines of: anything by Agatha Christie or MC Beaton; Midsommer Murders et al.

Interesting discovery - I did some research this morning and discovered I'm actually writing Noir.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Hey Allie - want to share the name of this agent? I'm currently querying agents on my literary crime novel.

I'd say, if you think your novel isn't a cozy, it can't hurt to query. Cozy mysteries have all the violence occur off screen. Often have just one setting. Can include locked room type mysteries. Agatha Christie did a lot of cozies.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My target audience is the cozy reader. I think they're alive and well and buying books. I'm not aiming for a best-seller list, just to please myself and other amateur sleuth cozy readers.

I would send your agent a rejection slip, kindly worded, of course.

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Allie - want to share the name of this agent? I'm currently querying agents on my literary crime novel.

I'd say, if you think your novel isn't a cozy, it can't hurt to query. Cozy mysteries have all the violence occur off screen. Often have just one setting. Can include locked room type mysteries. Agatha Christie did a lot of cozies.

Sure...

His name is Robert Brown, from Wylie Merrick Literary Agency. He has a website and a blog. Which is where I gleaned my information.

Good Luck!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought as much.

Wylie is the biggest literary snobs in the industry. Watch yourself there.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
"Please don't send me anything written in first person unless you understand other points of view, have tried them and because of the uniqueness of your story, first person works best. A first person narrative is possibly a good place for someone who knows nothing about other narrative viewpoints, but in my opinion, a finely finished author should have moved past this point of view. First person is just too limiting for the character development I seek."

To me that doesn't sound like he's anti-first person. Sounds like he's anti-inexperienced-author-using-first-person-because-its-easier-without-thinking-what's-best-for-the-story.

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting discovery - I did some research this morning and discovered I'm actually writing Noir.

Okay... I'll bite... what's Noir?

Have you thought that this whole genre thing is like trying to fit yourself into a high school clique. Once you finally feel you belong in one, then everyone further tries to classify themselves.

(Girl with clipboard... "Welcome to the mystery genre. Are you cozy, Noir, who-done-it, true crime, thriller, suspense, literary, romance crossover, talking animals, space creatures, or historical fiction?" I stare blankly, drool forming in the corner of my mouth, she continues, "Are you sure you belong here?" "No," I cry and head back to my math text book. (I work as high school math tutor part time) At least I know that I'm in Pre-Calculus... Or is Trigonometry." Girl shakes her head again.)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Noir is Hardboiled Crime fiction. It doesn't have a detective in it; the main character tends to be directly affected by the crime.

There's another sub-genre known as Tartan Noir (the authors are Scottish).

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Okay, thanks. He sent me a quick rejection and referred me to his blog, which is where I got the idea he might be looking for literary crime. Mine was exactly 3,000 words shorter than his guidelines, maybe that was it. He sure didn't give me a clue in his rejection. :Shrug:

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah... my book is pretty light... my mom called it "more realistic Evonavich" This guy is probably not a good fit. I need someone with a sense of humor.

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. He sent me a quick rejection and referred me to his blog, which is where I got the idea he might be looking for literary crime. Mine was exactly 3,000 words shorter than his guidelines, maybe that was it. He sure didn't give me a clue in his rejection. :Shrug:

Sorry... better luck next time. :)

Mine is over is 15,000 words short. I think I'll forget about him.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Noir is Hardboiled Crime fiction. It doesn't have a detective in it; the main character tends to be directly affected by the crime.

There's another sub-genre known as Tartan Noir (the authors are Scottish).

This is not one of the many definitions I've heard for noir. My understanding of it has been that it's gritty, dark, shady and quite often has an unhappy (or unfulfilling) ending. "No Country for Old Men" is held as a prime example of noir. But Raymond Chandler is also said to write noir. Chandler writes private eye stories. He's also described as Hardboiled (which is tough characters, tough setting, usually refers to the detective.)

When it comes to genres, sure there's subdivisions. But think of it like those Venn Diagrams. Things over lap. There is no one set definition. Some books will fit into more than one category, but usually there's a predominant flavor.

I like hardboiled and a lot of noir stories. I don't care for cozies.

Cozies often have less violence, gore, or sex (and often have little to no hard language.) They may have a high body count, oddly enough, but the violence is done off-page and there are no graphic descriptions. Many cozies have an amateur sleuth. To me, it's the sort of thing that won't offend the prim little old gramma. (Nothing wrong with it, but it's not my cup of vodka.)

Included in the subdivisions, you have your detective stories. The detective can be an amateur or a professional, hardboiled or not. Police detectives usually fall under police procedurals. This is another type of crime/ mystery story. Mysteries usually solve some crime or riddle. Crime novels may lay out whodunnit first and seek to show how the detective solved it. Others may try to solve why or how it was done, even if they know who. Mystery stories can include suspense. But others may be more slow in pacing with less peril for the MC or other characters.

There are as many flavors of mystery as there are mystery writers. I've been reading and writing noir and hardboiled fiction for some time now. Thrilling Detective has some great information on Private Eyes, detectives, hardboiled and other such stuff.

I beleive there are lists and other sites for information cozies. (I'm thinking maybe over on DorothyL? I'm not sure since that sort of stuff has not interest to me. Read, read, read. Read websites that talk about the 'greats' of your genre, then go read as many books (or short stories) in that vein.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
This is not one of the many definitions I've heard for noir. My understanding of it has been that it's gritty, dark, shady and quite often has an unhappy (or unfulfilling) ending.

Yep, that's my novel.

Which author would you say the book is like Allie?

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
My book? I'm thinking now, definitely a cozy. My writing is along the same lines as Janet Evonavich (not intentionally) or Diane Motts (the mystery solving caterer) or even the archeologists ... Amelia Peabody Mysteries... I'm blanking on the name of the author, although I love them. My book is light, easy to read, and short, and could be spun into a series.

What's it's not... is a Noir... to me that is a decent California wine.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Janet Reid likes quirky. She's got a sense of humor too, but she's tough. I pitched to her at a conference this fall, she asked for the first 100, turned it down.

I'm not sure she does cozy though.

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
Janet Reid likes quirky. She's got a sense of humor too, but she's tough. I pitched to her at a conference this fall, she asked for the first 100, turned it down.

I'm not sure she does cozy though.

Thanks for the tip... my book is certainly quirky. I can't tell you for sure if it's a cozy, but it's definetely off the wall. I'll put her on the top of my list. :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think a good tip is hunting out your favourite authors and doing some research to find out who their agents are.

Networking on the internet is good too; I have a recommendation from a successful thriller writer for their agent.

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
I think a good tip is hunting out your favourite authors and doing some research to find out who their agents are.

Networking on the internet is good too; I have a recommendation from a successful thriller writer for their agent.

I agree. Thanks for the thought. I will track down the agent for Caterer mysteries. I'm sure that s/he wouldn't be dead. :) The agent who reps Evonavich probably bought a second home in Monoco and doesn't need me... ;)

dlenee

Registered
Reaction score
Cynthia Baxter's book, Putting on the Dog, is a cozy, I believe. In the acknowldgements, she lists her agent as Faith Hamlin.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Rhys Bowen writes cozy mysteries.

An ex-editor of hers is now an agent at Bookends. Not sure I remember which one but I believe it's Jessica Faust. It's worth checking her out.