J. R. Ward anyone?

Shamrockgreen

A day on the skeet range helps the frustration
Registered
Reaction score
I was skeptical, but picked up the first book anyway...it seem to meet all my reading qualifications. Small print, lots of words, weighed almost a pound in paperback. I finished Dark Lover and ordered the rest of the series off Amazon, went on a reading binge & polished off 6 books in a week.

I really enjoyed this paranormal world she has created, the violence is great, the sex is great, the charcters are developed extremely well, even as she brings new characters in the series. Everything about the series was intense, she kept it all so focused. Amazing....highly recommended.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
yes please! Love her, she's briliant.
My favourite author, and favourite series. :) Feel like i could just jump on into her books and feel right at home.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I just recently finished Butch's book. Really enjoying the series, but taking a break for the moment to catch up on some other stuff that's been languishing longer on my TBR pile.

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
These are books I love, and love to poke fun at, but still really love. I read the first 6 or 7 in the course of a week around Christmas last year. They are so addictive. I would occasionally read a snippet from a sex scene or from a description of one of the hunky vampires to my husband and then we would cackle, but it didn't mean I didn't love it.

The only thing that bugs me is Wrath's damn hair. By the later books she refers to it being down to his waist, I think. Blech. It might be better if she just left out hair descriptions. I'm not into the long hair, and every time it comes up, I have to make an extra mental effort to edit it out in my imagination.

I love how TALL everyone is. Bella's 6'0", like moi! That's where the resemblance ends, but still... refreshing not to read about a teeny tiny heroine in that one.

Sigh. Once I get a teeny tiny break from other responsibilities, I am re-reading these. Wish I'd gotten them in print instead of Kindle.

Reaction score
I tried reading book one, but only got a couple of chapters into it. I have no doubt I'll try again at some point, but for me it's one of those 'easily overridden by other, more interesting books' novels.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I have read three, but almost stopped with the first. I wanted to love the books, since I am a huge paranormal romance fan, but I have read better. There are things I like, and the books did get better (the ones I have read at least). But many things don't sit well with me.

The first book especially, how Wrath broke into Beth's (?) house right after she is almost raped. Yet she doesn't freak out? Later Zsadist threatens her, which made me not want to read his story. I hated him. But after reading his book, he became my favorite, not an easy thing for an author to do for me. Her characters, the men especially, are very flawed and tortured. I enjoy that in PNR. Some of the women come off as weak and Mary Sue though.

The villains are boring, and I would often skim over those sections. I hated how the men talk. Centuries old vamps speaking like gang members and listening to rap music. Didn't ring true for me. And I hate, HATE the names and the added H in almost every one. Bugged me.

So this is one series I am on the fence about. Interesting characters, good love stories, pretty hot sex scenes. But so many things bother me. So I stopped reading awhile ago, not sure if I will pick anymore up.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I've read them, I'll continue to read them, but I can't say that I love them. I like the stories, I like certain things about certain Brothers, but I hate, hate, hate Ward's writing. All of that pseudo-gangsta narration, the ridiculous way they talk to each other, the "stillies" and "shitkickers" and "leathers" they all wear, the extra H in most of their words for no reason. But I do enjoy most of the stories. There were a few of them I had to force myself through, but there are a few I've re-read, too. If you ever want to get scared, go to one of her book signings. She came to a bookstore very close to me, so I went. Wow. Just... Wow. Those are some rabid fans.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I am tickled by how she has taken hip hop culture and just twisted it into something unrecognizable to me,lol. My friend HATES it.

I liked the first few books and slowly lost interest with the next ones. It seemed like she ran out of steam a bit.

I also didn't like how she dropped Butch and Vishous. Those two had more chemistry and fire than the chicks she paired them with ever could. I was totally looking forward to a real romance for them. Alas,it wasn't mean to be.