• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Levine Greenberg Rostan Literary Agency (formerly Levine Greenberg Literary Agency)

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
They have a link to their submit@ email address. If you sent it to someone else it was probably (and rightfully) deleted.

And I even agree with you ... however, my query was sent to the correct address ... it did not contain anything that would cause their server to hiccup (ain't that a funny word? hiccup ...) and I am aware of the issue with agencies, especially good ones, receiving many, many, far too many queries. Believe it or not I am not new to this kind of fun and games that we writers and would-be novelists have to play. However, I say again, to simply delete without reading is abominable (another neat word I don't get to use often) or ... or maybe I simply over reacted. Got up on the wrong side of the bed, kind of thing.

Forget it gang ... James Levine is a swell, understanding guy and I'll seek representation for my Great American Novel elsewhere.

I must admit, however, the comments from all of you shows a level of understanding that is heart-warming (another seldom used phrase ...)

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
And I even agree with you ... however, my query was sent to the correct address ... it did not contain anything that would cause their server to hiccup (ain't that a funny word? hiccup ...) and I am aware of the issue with agencies, especially good ones, receiving many, many, far too many queries. Believe it or not I am not new to this kind of fun and games that we writers and would-be novelists have to play. However, I say again, to simply delete without reading is abominable (another neat word I don't get to use often) or ... or maybe I simply over reacted. Got up on the wrong side of the bed, kind of thing.

Forget it gang ... James Levine is a swell, understanding guy and I'll seek representation for my Great American Novel elsewhere.

I must admit, however, the comments from all of you shows a level of understanding that is heart-warming (another seldom used phrase ...)

By the way, this happens to me at work all the time. I'll get a "deleted without being read" receipt from someone I emailed. When I call them up to give them trouble, they explain that in their Outlook settings, they have 'preview turned on', which means the first 3 lines of the email actually is readable while the email sits unopened in their inbox. Perhaps Mr. Levine was able to decide he was not interested after reading the first few sentences and deleted it? If not, then really it's no different than him opening it up and realizing the same thing.

Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with the other poster, though. I queried them using the form (probably because I felt like I had to since I prefer actual queries). You have nothing to lose at this point, right?

JacksonMcGees

Registered
Reaction score
Stephanie Kip Rostan

Anyone know more about Stephanie Kip Rostan? She's on a list a friend gave me and I'm trying to find out some more info. Thank you!

Jackson

GirlLit

Registered
Reaction score
In fact since this turkey looking over my shoulder here said I WAS being paranoid I took a little time to snoop around more and found that several of the sudden defenders of this agent signed up, posted that defense and never posted before or since.
So just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not chicanery afoot, I say.

Specifically, I'm referring to one-hit posters montage, girllit, and latinoflavored -- who replied to a post saying "Red Flag" with an adjuration to chill out and not be hysterical.

I don't think you have to be Nick the Greek to compute the odds of this NOT being somebody stacking the forum as a very low pay shot.
Sorry if I made people paranoid. I don't visit this site often. Let me be clear: Jenoyne didn't ask me to respond to this thread, nor would she ever.

Here’s how I landed on the thread. I was speaking to a potential client of her hers, as a reference, and the client mentioned that she had seen negative comments about Jenoyne on a message board. I was surprised because everything this client said was contrary to my experience with Jenoyne. So after expressing my opinions to this writer (who did chose to accept J’s representation and now already has a book deal), I Googled Jenoyne's name and found this post. On my own volition, I decided to relay my positive experience with her as an agent, so other potential clients wouldn't be scared off by negative posts (as this one writer was originally).

Jenoyne's done a lot for me and I was returning the favor. Everything I said in my first post is true. And, as an update, Jenoyne recently got me a deal with a producer to work on film rights. This is my experience and I thought it was worth sharing.

I don’t, however, know anything about the other agents there. Though I did speak with Jim Levine when I first signed on (he speaks with all their new clients), and he was very nice.

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Hi Jeff. Glad you're having a good experience. That doesn't negate anyone else's experience, however, and shouldn't mean that we need to tell only one side of a story. I'm very glad that people are willing to talk about both the good and bad here.

I also had an agent who became utterly uncommunicative-- we literally went more than a year without any kind of contact (I had e-mailed her a few times; she never wrote back). I would not ever be interested in getting into that situation again, so I'll listen to the three people here who've detailed the way this agent fell off the face of the earth after initial interest.

Then what's the point of being here? Learning from others' experiences is a good idea. That way we don't all have to make the same mistakes over and over.

Relating a true experience is not the same as "badmouthing" someone. It's really not a client's fault if an agent stops responding.
I agree. If for every person that has a good experience with an agent, half a dozen more pop up with a bad experience, I'm certainly going to shy away from an agent like that. Publishing is a competitive business and it IS a business. Agents who give excuses about being too busy to send out your book or don't have the courtesy to respond to progress inquiries are simply not professional and I think we all want professional representation.
Linnea

DanielKoehler

reverse backward masker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smashwords.com
Levine Greenberg Literary Agency, Inc.-Pros and Cons

Levine Greenberg Literary Agency, Inc. in NYC has requested my manuscript to be emailed to them as an attachment. I submitted an online form and heard back a few days later asking to send the ms via email

Two Questions:

Anyone had any experience with the agency?

Any caveats about emailing a ms?

Best, Daniel Koehler

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
There's a big thread hiding around here somewhere waiting for a search to reveal it.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I just got caught up reading the whole thread and you know what's interesting? One of the people popping in on the board to post her support for Jenoyne is now, according to her blog, looking for a new agent. I just wanted to post that so that people trying to balance the pros and cons will have a bit more info. Best of luck to everyone querying!

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Is danielle svetcov still with Levine Greenberg? Because her Agent Query profile didn't have much info - and is she still looking for YA?

Last edited:

rebobinar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysteryrobin.blogspot.com
FYI - I used read receipts in my previous life in corporate America and can vouch for the fact that someone can in fact read an e-mail, delete it, and it shows as deleted without being read. This happens if they use Outlook and read it in the preview pane, but have their PP settings as such that it doesn't get marked as read unless they open it or some such thing.

I've also heard of agents being so annoyed with read receipts that they just delete the query.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Is danielle svetcov still with Levine Greenberg? Because her Agent Query profile didn't have much info - and is she still looking for YA?

Just gonna try asking again, since no one responded before.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since her profile is still on their site, I would presume so.

Note also that they specifically state: "Please do not query agents directly." Therefore, the course of action would be to send your query per their guidelines and allow them to direct it to the appropriate agent(s).

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's possible she offered rep to someone this week (won't go into specifics since it's not my story, he-he). And I know someone else was asked for a partial (or full, can't remember which) just today, as well.

Last edited:

pacandped

Registered
Reaction score
I asked this a few months ago on this thread. No one replied but I'm still wondering: Has anyone had personal experience with Stephanie Kip Rostan?

I filled out the online submission last year and SKR requested my partial about 3-4 months later. She ended up passing(I dealt mostly with her assistant) but I thought she was very nice. Hope that helps!

GrammarGoddess

Registered
Reaction score
At Bliss, Jenoyne's assistant (?) just requested a partial. I sent in my e-query almost 2 months ago.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
can someone correct the spelling of the agency
to greenBERG?

i equeried e fisher yesterday and
recieved a reply today asking for the
first 50 - 100 pages sent via email attachment.

addendum : i had initally queried via website and
never heard back. so i sent an equery directly to
e fisher. i believe she is fairly new and building
her client list.

Last edited:

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
Good luck, xiaotien!

I queried Jenoyne in early February and have yet to receive a response. Someone mentioned in another thread that she's slammed with submissions right now, though.

Perhaps Jenoyne should have her own thread now, since she's no longer with LG?

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
thanks clara and caromora!

i'm not sending anything out till
i revise my first 50 pages, tho.
which means maybe next week--
if i'm lucky.