Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
"He took her hand between his fingers."

"He took her hand among her fingers."

The first one sounds best to me, but I was recently corrected about Among vs Between, and now I'm a bit uncertain about correct usage.

Note: "He" is a giant, so her hand is very small. I'm probably going to edit this in favor of the verb "to pinch" but I'd still like to know which of the words in the title is correct.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
If he took her hand between his fingers, they would hold hands with their fingers interlaced. If he took her hand among his fingers, he would hold her hand within his hand. A better way to say it would be: He took her hand in his hand and...

Richard

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If he took her hand between his fingers, they would hold hands with their fingers interlaced. If he took her hand among his fingers, he would hold her hand within his hand. A better way to say it would be: He took her hand in his hand and...

Richard

None of those are really what I need to express; like I said, I'm probably going to revise it so that the verb To Pinch is used.

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
I basically agree with Richard: "between" would suggest they interlaced fingers, but "among" just sounds wrong to me and doesn't give me what I believe to be the correct image. I would use "took her hand in his", but that's just me...

Good luck!

d&f.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I was taught between is for two things, among for more than two. So if you use between the fingers, that indicates only two of them.

bohica

scribe to dark muses
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaroque.com
Yeah, both statements sound awkward. You might end up going with something like, "He took her hand..." and then follow it with some elaboration on the size of her fingers compared to his, or how her fingers barely covered the tip of one of his, et cetera. Without a little more context it's hard to say :>

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
$0.02>
Between implies two things, one on each side of an object or person.

Among tells me that said item is surrounded by more than two.

A giant might well take a small person's hand daintily between thumb and finger, lest a hearty handshake result in a broken arm. lol

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The "between = 2/among > 2" guideline is really more confusing than helpful, especially considering the original example of the thread. It's "between his fingers", no matter how many fingers are involved. (Well, in a leper colony he might conceivably take her hand and hide it among his fingers. If both hand and fingers are decayed enough, the hand might even be hard enough to spot to merit an among...)

It's all rather complex. Here's the best article on it I could find.

Status
Not open for further replies.