Status
Not open for further replies.

adtabb

Quiet Normally, Loud when Provoked
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilbrownwrite.wordpress.com
What is the best way to construct this sentence? Basically, there is a question in the middle of the sentence.

"Clutching the envelope in her hand, who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway? She hunted through her cluttered desk for her rarely used letter opener."

In normal sentence construction, I would need a comma after the "anyway," yet, since this is a question, I can't have a comma after a question mark. What is the best construxtion for this pair?

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
What is the best way to construct this sentence? Basically, there is a question in the middle of the sentence.

"Clutching the envelope in her hand, who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway? She hunted through her cluttered desk for her rarely used letter opener."

In normal sentence construction, I would need a comma after the "anyway," yet, since this is a question, I can't have a comma after a question mark. What is the best construxtion for this pair?

The question mark is fine as is. That's not a question in the middle of a sentence. That's two sentences. The question mark ends the first sentence. If it weren't a question, you'd put a period there, not a comma.

The thing is, that first sentence has another problem that may be what's throwing you off. It has a dangling modifier. Who is clutching the envelope? "She", I assume. When you start a sentence with something like "clutching the envelope" you have to write the next part so that the same person is doing both things. The way you wrote it, "she" is the one doing the clutching, but "who" is the one doing the sending.

There are several ways to fix it. Here are a couple of possibilities. One is to change the "who" part to make it something "she" does. I added the words "she wondered". A side effect of that is that it isn't a question anymore.
Clutching the envelope in her hand, she wondered who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway. She hunted through her cluttered desk for her rarely used letter opener.
Another choice would be to rearrange the order and attach the "clutching" part to the second sentence, which already starts with "she".
Who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway? Clutching the envelope in her hand, she hunted through her cluttered desk for her rarely used letter opener.
In both cases, notice the relationship of the words I bolded.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I agree. You're putting a complete sentence (the question) inside a participial clause. Fennel gave you some good suggestions to fix that.

Another way (but a bit clunkier) is to use dashes to separate the question from the main sentence:

Clutching the envelope in her hand -- Who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway? -- she hunted through her cluttered desk for her rarely used letter opener.​

Still, the participial clause is what makes it clunky. You can simply do (but the way, "clutching" implies she's using her hands):

She clutched the envelope -- Who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway? -- and hunted through her cluttered desk for her rarely used letter opener.​

She clutched the envelope and hunted through the cluttered desk for her rarely used letter opener. Who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway?​

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score

The best construction is to set the question apart from the rest of the sentence, either with em-dashes or with parentheses (note how doing this turns the S in "she" from capital to lowercase):

"Clutching the envelope in her hand--who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway?--she hunted through her cluttered desk for her rarely used letter opener."

"Clutching the envelope in her hand (who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway?) she hunted through her cluttered desk for her rarely used letter opener."

adtabb

Quiet Normally, Loud when Provoked
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilbrownwrite.wordpress.com
These ideas seem more like what I am trying to convey. I am still working on conveying thoughts and using actions together. Othewise, I have pages of one or the other with occasional dialogue thrown in.

Thank you all very much!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

I would offset it in dashes.

Clutching the envelope in her hand --who sent letters by certified mail anymore, anyway?-- she hunted through her cluttered desk for...etc.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the long dash. They fit they way I talk and write. I don't need one here, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.