Meyer's fanfic writer thinks copyright laws don't apply to HER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Here we are...
russetcap1.jpg

russetcap2.jpg

russetcap3.jpg

russetcap4.jpg

So to answer someone's question, it looks like Paypal was being accepted...

Deleted member 42

Interestingly, you cannot copyright stereotyped stock-characters who are never developed (e.g. a nameless bystander in a crowd scene). This Lady Whatsherface should argue that Meyer's characters are sufficiently two dimensional and undeveloped as to not be copyrightable.

The characters and some place names have been trademarked because of the movie tie-ins.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
More reasons why this isn't a silly publicity stunt by the author.

Bottom line: money. Meyers gets LOTS more with an official release from her publishers.

At 18.50 this "book" costs more than the series in the stores or on line. The real books on the website for under 15.00. I smell a greedy fan publishing through --what? Kinkos or Lulu?

And just as a matter of note on how important this kerfuffle is to the Meyers Machine, there's absolutely nothing about it on her website.

You'd think that if Meyers had a shiny new novel ready to go about the werewolves--apparently so popular, they're getting their own movie--she'd mention it there, not use an unlikely pen name to make an obscure press release.

That's how you reach only a few thousand fans.

Going through channels, she would reach a few million. It's all about the money, baby!

Double ditto for her publishers. They'd be tooting this one all over their website if it was a legit book.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Just something I remembered - I think you're required to have Paypal as a payment option now to sell on eBay. I know they were thinking of making that a rule, but I'm not sure if they did.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
Russet Noon: Shouldn't the protagonist be that steely-jawed loner, Hash Brown?

Makin' popcorn :)

ETA: Like all good western heroes, Hash needs a dog, aptly named Spuds.

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hash scalloped through the starchy mess and strained to mash the peeler button that would protect his eyes from the tuberous beast that shoestringed up from knee level...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I thought for a while it was an elaborate set-up for April Fool's day, but now I'm not so sure... does anyone remember Lanaia Lee? That one was beyond belief, too, but it was for real. I've blogged about it now, and rounded up many of the links here.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
It is like a train wreck. You just can't look away. How amazingly, utterly, ridiculously stupid can she be?

Please forgive my revolting overuse of adverbs. I have been inspired by Lady Stupidylla to write rubbish.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hash looked up from peeling open the pages of the murderer's cookbook and couldn't believe his eyes.

She was back. The one woman who'd turned him to mush.

The one woman who'd made him cry, for God's sake.

There she stood in the doorway to his bin as though no time had passed at all since their wild night in the outback, when she'd covered herself in batter and opened wide to him like a hot flower of spicy delight. She was bad for him. Bad for his gut, bad for his heart, but he couldn't resist her. It was impossible--especially when he'd been half-baked at the time.

There she stood: Vedalia, that bad girl onion from the wrong side of the field.

"Hey, Hash," she murmured in her smoky sweet voice. "Can I grease your palm? I need a P.I."*

*Potato Inspector

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to confuse this thread with the "Too Much Description" thread. Potatoes everywhere!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
After the success of Russet Noon:

02547247847c_B400.jpg

Fans of other iconic series in the collective social consciousness decided to expand this new genre of "you don't own what you think you own entertainment."

There was: SPUD WARS.
H0275d7511f_A400.jpg

Transtaters (for the Tots in the family):

228759ba7bf_Main400.jpg

and finally, fan favorite: Idaho Spud and the Yukon Gold:

mr_potato_head.jpg

Rumor has it that Harry Potato and the Magic Microwave is the works, but since 3 different fanwriters have all laid claim to the same title, it's currently a race to see who will bring the world the "TaterEye school of Conjured Cuisine" First.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Just when I thought this subject had dished up all the fun that it could, someone linked to my blog post about it in this post from another message-board, made today at 6.14pm, and commented:

The reason is that in every book contract is a clause that says if a writer becomes aware of a copyright infringement on the Work, they are obligated to take action to have that infringement shut down.

If they don't, then their own publisher can sue them!

Now, compare that if you will to Gillhoughly's earlier post in this very thread, made some time yesterday afternoon:

The reason is that in every book contract is a clause that says if a writer becomes aware of a copyright infringement on the Work, they are obligated to take action to have that infringement shut down.

If they don't, then their own publisher can sue them!

It's the same, right down to the bold font used.

I know it's just a few words, and some battles are too small to have: but I do so enjoy the irony of someone plagiarising a comment from a thread about copyright infringement. It just goes round and round and round....

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I love this response to Lady Sybilla from TwilightLexicon. It's at the bottom of the page:

So when it comes right down to it, you’re a self admitted thief whose only defense is “well they were doing it too.” (*Insert foot stamp, pouty lip, and flounce here*)

Sums it up nicely!

:roll:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, I'm not going to fuss about it. At least one person on that forum learned from it, though a link would have been nice.

Besides, I'm here as Gillhoughly, not as myself, the world famous, bestselling, mega-author _______ ______k.

:D

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Meh, I'm not going to fuss about it. At least one person on that forum learned from it, though a link would have been nice.

Besides, I'm here as Gillhoughly, not as myself, the world famous, bestselling, mega-author Lady Sybilla.

:D

There. Fixed it for you. :D

marie2

slowly but surely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolemariemessina.tumblr.com
Tee-hee. It gets better. There is a press release!

-

http://www.prlog.org/10205734-should-av-paranormal-pull-the-plug-on-lady-sybillas-russet-noon.html

Mar 26, 2009 – Author Lady Sybilla met with her publishing partners at AV Paranormal today to discuss the fate of her upcoming novel Russet Noon. One of the main issues discussed at the meeting was the hate campaign that some message boards and forums have instigated with their long threads on the topic.

Swarming with self-righteous judgments and slander galore, some of these postings have gone as far as to threaten Lady Sybilla and her team with everything from boycotting the novel, reporting it to web administrators, and even stalking the addresses listed under Whois registrar entries.

Blown out of proportion falls short of describing the overzealous crusade that has given these teens "a common enemy," as one of them has called it. Some of these volunteer soldiers are so militant about their cause, that eBay buyers appear to have been contacted one by one in an attempt to persuade them to request refunds on their Russet Noon preorders. As for the September release of Russet Noon, the AV Paranormal team is considering one of two options. Either the novel will be published in weekly installments on the website for free, or the plug will be pulled on the project altogether. The final decision will be announced in early or mid April. Only one thing is for sure at this point: No more Russet Noon on eBay. Let the detractors have their victory on this one.

But, regardless of what the final outcome may be, everyone who preordered a copy of Russet Noon will receive a full refund.In the mean time, Twilight fans are encouraged to submit their votes on this issue at Fanpop:http://www.fanpop.com/spots/twilight-series/picks/show/2 ...

Disclaimer: Fanpop is not associated or affiliated with AV Paranormal or Lady Sybilla. Use of their voting service is not an indicator that Fanpop supports or disapproves of Russet Noon.Please visit www.russet-noon.com for more info.

# # #

AV Paranormal Publishing is an independent publisher in the Los Angeles area. We publish websites, ebooks, digital art and paperback novels. No unsolicited manuscript submissions are considered. We accept query letters with a short synopsis.

Last edited:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
What if Gillhoughly IS Stephenie Meyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.