• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Effects on humans on planet with less gravity than Earth?

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
Let's say it's a world with around 80-90% of Earth's gravity. People would grow up with fewer muscles. I'm thinking they might be just slightly taller on average. The lungs would be slightly smaller, since the body doesn't need to burn as much fuel to function. Anything else?

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
There's a potential for higher body fat percentages -- depending on the availability of food -- being the day-to-day strain they receive on their body is lessened.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
And the air would probably be thinner, so everyone would have high altitude lungs. I don't think the lungs would be smaller.

And probably more hat wearing, and darker skin because of greater UV exposure.

Fewer back problems, lower blood pressure, maybe bigger diaphragm for breathing. Barrel chests.

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
More UV exposure? That would have more to do with how much of an atmosphere it would have. I dunno. Is the amount of atmosphere a planet can carry directly proportional to the mass? I mean, obviously you have to start out with an atmosphere, but I don't know if it would start to lose it one the space within the panet's gravitational field was saturated. Gotta try to look that one up.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
From an evolutionary perspective probably also weaker bones, and slower reaction speeds. Things don't fall as hard and fast. Though i don't think this would be changed by simple physiological adaption. (i.e. takes a few hundred millenia to show up)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
They could carry more fat, so thus the obesity epidemic would spread to far-flung worlds.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Whether or not there will be less air in the atmosphere (which is probable)

lower gravity will mean lower atmospheric pressure. Which will translate to the equivalent of Earth's high altitude lungs and other adaptation.

Lower pressure would probably also mean less standing water, and drier conditions, unless I miss my guess.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could make, at best, an educated guess at the author, but I read something maybe 30 years ago in which heart patients were relocated to low-gravity planets (or satellites?) because reduced gravity meant the heart did not have to work as hard and could heal. At the time, it seemed to have been carefully researched and fully plausible.

Which gets me thinking about what other benefits there might be, medically, in reduced gravity. I'm no medical professional, but arthritis suffering could lessen as the apparent weight on joints in motion is lessened. A broken bone will heal no faster, but might bear weight sooner as it mends. Hips and knees might last an entire lifetime for nearly everyone, so the elderly, with their increased lung capacity and less stressed hearts, could be far more healthy and active than they are here on Earth.

Maryn, who used to read a lot of sci-fi

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Lower bone density and less muscle mass, for sure. And it would be an immediate physiological adjustment, not a long-term genetic one. You are basically looking at all the same physiological effects as weightlessness, just to a lesser degree. There are all kinds of hard data on that available.

For people born and raised in a lower gravity environment, it is assumed that they would grow taller. Obviously this has never been tested in real life.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy deals with this (and a gazillion other hard science topics) if you're interested in seeing what's already been done.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Lower bone density and less muscle mass, for sure. And it would be an immediate physiological adjustment, not a long-term genetic one. You are basically looking at all the same physiological effects as weightlessness, just to a lesser degree. There are all kinds of hard data on that available.

For people born and raised in a lower gravity environment, it is assumed that they would grow taller. Obviously this has never been tested in real life.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy deals with this (and a gazillion other hard science topics) if you're interested in seeing what's already been done.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is good.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I could make, at best, an educated guess at the author, but I read something maybe 30 years ago in which heart patients were relocated to low-gravity planets (or satellites?) because reduced gravity meant the heart did not have to work as hard and could heal. At the time, it seemed to have been carefully researched and fully plausible.

Which gets me thinking about what other benefits there might be, medically, in reduced gravity. I'm no medical professional, but arthritis suffering could lessen as the apparent weight on joints in motion is lessened. A broken bone will heal no faster, but might bear weight sooner as it mends. Hips and knees might last an entire lifetime for nearly everyone, so the elderly, with their increased lung capacity and less stressed hearts, could be far more healthy and active than they are here on Earth.

Maryn, who used to read a lot of sci-fi
Yes, those are apparently the positive effects.
Lower bone density and less muscle mass, for sure. And it would be an immediate physiological adjustment, not a long-term genetic one.
Well, "immediate" would be over weeks and months (and perhaps measurable in days), though that's certainly immediate compared to genetic change.
You are basically looking at all the same physiological effects as weightlessness, just to a lesser degree. There are all kinds of hard data on that available.
Yes, a change in gravity may have both positive and negative effects. Those in space for more than a few days have to do exercises to keep a reasonable amount of muscle and bone mass.

What's the current record for continuous time in space? I think there have been a few who have been in it for over a year, and the "standard" tour of duty at the International Space Station is something like six months.

I've heard there's only one person who has walked off the Shuttle (or the Russsian vehicle) unaided after having been in space for two weeks or longer and he/she is a triathlete.
This would be interesting to test for and see how to separate out for other factors such as diet, especially if the gravity difference is fairy small (10 percent or less). I've heard how Japanese were historically shorter than Westerners, but as their children starting eating more of a Western diet, they outgrew their parents and became closer to Western height (they surely also have greater incidence of cancer and heart disease than their parents due to the Western diet, but that's another topic).

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
The big ones as far as people are concerned would definitely be the loss of bone mass and muscle. That's already a common occurrence for astronauts.