• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] loveyoudivine Alterotica

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with this publisher at all?
http://www.loveyoudivine.com/

They might be a suitable home for my book, but I don't know much about them, so I'd just like some info before I submit to them.

Finding submissions on their website was difficult, in the end I had to do a google search with "sumbissions" and the name of the publisher, but then I got to one of their imprints, His and His Kisses (which is fine for me as the book was gay/yaoi anyway, LOL!) They had no submission guidelines up, just an email address.

take care,
Annnette

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what it says about the publisher, but if you look at the covers under their "featured author" heading two of them, side-by-side, have the same picture on the cover. It's just been flipped 180 degrees (the shadowed cowboy with his head down).

If they repeat covers on the same author's books, I doubt they spend much time on crafting individual ones for anyone.

(The lack of a submission link or guidelines is odd if they're accepting material.)

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do have a lot of options with m/m, LOL, but finding the right home for it at the moment is proving difficult. I've had two what I would consider "good" rejections: for one there wasn't enough sex, for the other they turned down that particular book but liked my "voice" and I was invited to submt something else direct an editor. I don't have anything else ready at the moment though.

But I think I'll cross them off my list for the moment, I'd like an individual cover that is about my book and there aren't any cowboys in it at all, LOL!

Thanks!

take care,
Annette

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I think the best way to sort out who might be a good "fit" for your book is to do the same as one would with large print houses. Who publishes the type of books or the authors you like to read?

Also, obviously I don't know your story but on the "needs more sex" rejection: Could it have been that they wanted the existing scene(s) to be more detailed than to have more such scenes in general?

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
A writer friend of mine is one of A's contributors. I have to say that the sex in her books is pretty rawboned. If you've been turned down due to a lack of fire in your work you may want to look around more.
C

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Babara, that's exactly what I've been doing, aiming at those publishers whose m/m stuff I've been reading myself (including yours and Anne's, LOL!) My two rejections for it were from Noble (not enough sex,) and Samhain, liked my voice but not this particular story. Those were my two favourites to try. Noble did want some extra scenes in there and would consider a re-sub, but I was afraid that it might end up looking like they were just there for the sake of it rather than flow with the story.

I know there are fantasy male/male romance stories and publishers out there because I've been reading them ;) It's just a long road trying to get the right one.

Citymouse, I agree, I don't think my book would be the right fit for Alterotica, as I think it is more of a romance that happens to have some spicy scenes rather than outright erotica.

If anyone has any suggestions as to who to try next (I'm waiting to hear back from Mojocastle at the moment) I'd be grateful. If it's another rejection I'd like to know who to aim for next.

take care,
Annette

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It may seem mercenary but the sales at the top epublishers stand out from the pack somewhat. You might want to try Amber Quill, Liquid Silver Books, Loose Id, Elloras/Cerridwen etc before looking at small houses.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have them on my list, Emily, but isn't Amber Quill by invitation only? On their website they state they will delete any unsolicited stuff unread and also any queries as to how you get an invite. That would seem they don't want to read something from little old me ;)

But thanks for the info, good to know some of my own research has been suitable.

take care,
Annette

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
They hold an annual contest to get in their door. It's usually in January which is past, or not yet arrived depending on how you look at it. ;)

Start at the top, with Loose-id or Liquid Silver Books. I'd say Ellora's Cave too, but they take a very long time--upwards of a year to 18 months--to reply. I'm published with both Loose-id and Liquid Silver and can recommend both of them.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Barbara, that'll save me a wasted submission to them :)

Michael, do Loose-id and Liquid Silver have a minimum amount of sex or anything like that to be considered by them?

You can PM me if you don't want to clutter up the thread.

take care,
Annette

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Thank you, Barbara, that'll save me a wasted submission to them :)

Michael, do Loose-id and Liquid Silver have a minimum amount of sex or anything like that to be considered by them?

You can PM me if you don't want to clutter up the thread.

take care,
Annette

Loose-id requires a lot of sexual content. Liquid Silver has a specific line--Sterling Silver--designed for stories and books that don't jump right into the sexual content. Even though their guidelines say m/f only for that line I've heard they do consider m/m for the line.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both, James and Michael. That helps :) As of now, I've only sent off to publishers whose books I've read that were similar to mine.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have been with Loose Id for a while and my sexual content is at the low end of their scale, a few scenes per novella, maybe one every 8-10,000 words on average.

If you are M/M with very light sex then an obvious option would be M/M specific epublisher like Torquere and perhaps Dreamspinner.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
It just goes to show, you never can tell, can you, Emily? I'll perhaps keep Loose-id in mind then too :)

take care,
Annette

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity - is it okay to use images from television programs in a book cover?

This cover is clearly a manip of Simone Lahbib--not sure if that's Mandana Jones, her co-star on Bad Girls she's kissing, but is it legal to use an image like that without permission?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Just out of curiosity - is it okay to use images from television programs in a book cover?

This cover is clearly a manip of Simone Lahbib--not sure if that's Mandana Jones, her co-star on Bad Girls she's kissing, but is it legal to use an image like that without permission?

Nope, it's definitely not.

(I also note that the excerpt switches tense a few times.)