• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Eternal Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenwing

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A big thing to avoid is speculation on who has a case and for what. Please keep discussion of the contract to how it pertains to your own situation, and let those who are considering action seek their own legal counsel.

Absolutely right. There does appear to be gaping holes between the original contract with EP Australia, and the fact that once it was sold to Ally in Canada, no legal acknowledgement took place. The authors were never given any addendum to sign, to this effect. That would certainly seem to indicate that the original contract, which has no kill fee clause, remains in effect.

But yes, EP authors need to run the documents past a lawyer. And no, you don't have to pay mega bucks to do this. There are perfectly good legal clinics in most major cities that are free. They are law students, but there is a lawyer present.

Last edited:

luvreading

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Page 1 of 3
Eternal Press
A division of Damnation Books LLC
P.O. Box 3931
Santa Rosa, CA 95402-9998
(707) 543-6227
[email protected]

Author Publication Agreement
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

THIS AGREEMENT made the____ day of _____ by and between ______________ hereafter called the Author and Eternal Press, a division of Damnation Books, LLC, hereinafter called the Publisher. This contract is considered legal and binding in all countries. Should a legal dispute arise, the laws of the State of California, USA shall apply.

WITNESSETH that the Author and the Publisher for the considerations named agree as follows:

Work
This contract is for the fiction work titled, ______________, written by the Author. The Author guarantees this work is free and clear of any counts of libel, plagiarism, breach of privacy, misrepresentation of facts and there is no legal action pending regarding this work. The Author further guarantees the work is not in the public domain; that they are the sole owner and copyright holder with full power to enter into this contract. _____(Author initials)

Rights
This contract grants the Publisher worldwide electronic, worldwide digital, 1st North American and 1st UK print rights, and English language audio rights for a five year period from the date of release. At the end of that five year period, the Publisher has the option to renew this contract with the Author at a payment rate of 40% net sales on electronic and digital books sold; 25% of net sales for audio and printed editions of the work. Upon termination of this contract, all rights return to the Author. Some distributors require book availability for a five year period and both parties acknowledge this must be honored even upon termination of this contract. ________(Author initials) ________ (Publisher initials)

Publisher
The Publisher will provide editorial services, the cover art, book ISBNs (International Standard Book Number) and an electronic Author copy of the finished book. ISBN’s will be obtained under the name of Damnation Books, LLC/Eternal Press. The Publisher will set the retail price of the work, based upon length, comparable works, and format. The publisher retains the right to raise or lower the price as needed to stimulate sales. The Publisher guarantees the work will be put on the publishing schedule within one year of the date of this contract and guarantees publication within a two year period beyond the publishing schedule assignment. Upon failure to meet these guarantees, all rights revert to the author, with no penalty fees charged to the author.

The Publisher reserves the right to contact distributors, bookstores, vendors, organizations and ebook outlets to sell the work in association with Eternal Press.

Author
The Author will provide the completed story, their contact information, and biography. The Author is authorized to use the cover image for promotional purposes and may not alter it in any way other than dimensions (size) for the duration of this contract. Upon termination of this contract, all art rights revert back to the Artist.

Reasonable deadlines for completion will be determined by the ongoing publishing schedule. Failing to meet deadlines can result in the book publication being delayed until a later time or as grounds for termination of this contract in the case of multiple missed deadlines.

Page 2 of 3

The Author has the right to burn exact text copies of electronic versions of the Work onto CD to sell copies at book fairs, signings and other author events, provided they pay Eternal Press 60% of the net sales, due quarterly. Eternal Press does not accept returns of any Author created digital copies or Author discounted print copies of the work. The Author may sell print copies of the work they have purchased at an author discount. The Author is responsible for reporting any royalties from resale to taxation authorities and the Publisher shall be held harmless for any underreported royalties caused by the Author’s failure to report royalties earned through resale.

It is the Author’s responsibility to inform the Publisher of any change in tax information or contact information including Paypal email address. Any royalties paid which are not received as a result of the Author’s failure to keep up-to-date contact information with the Publisher will be held until update has been received or this contract expires. The Publisher agrees to attempt contact through existing contact information (telephone number, email address or mailing address) before unilaterally withholding payment. If this contract expires, the Publisher will attempt another contact via telephone, email and postal mail. If ninety days pass from final contact attempt and still there is no response from the Author, the Publisher is no longer liable for those payments. Additionally, no interest will be paid on royalties held pending correct author contact information.

Authors are never required to purchase copies of this work. If they choose to purchase author print copies, they may at a 55% discount; the author is required to pay for shipping costs for author copies ordered. An author may give away ten (10) free pdf copies of their work. Additional ebook copies in audio, pdf and other electronic formats may be purchased at a discount of 40%. No royalties will be paid on author purchased copies.

Editing and Proofreading:
The Publisher’s editors will identify problems and make suggestions to resolve the problems and improve the work. The Author is not required to use the suggestions, however the problems must be resolved before the manuscript is considered complete. The Publisher retains the right to release the Author from this contract if, in the Publisher’s judgment, failure to make such changes would make the work un-marketable or damage the Publisher’s reputation.

The Publisher will make no major changes to, additions to or eliminations from the work without the Author’s permission; with the exception of minor grammatical and typographical errors.

Early Termination Penalties
Once a work has gone into editing and forward and the Author wishes to terminate this contract prematurely, a penalty shall be charged to the Author to cover costs of staff and artists for work already performed. This fee shall be at a minimum of $50.00 to a maximum of $1000.00 to be determined by the time spent on preparing the work for publication and money recovered from sales of the work. This fee must be paid before any books will be removed from distribution. If the Publisher terminates the contract prematurely, the author is not charged any penalty fees. Upon removal from distribution, the ISBN number and art work are no longer available for the Author to use and must be removed from online and printed venues maintained by the author.

Should the work complete the editing process, is not yet available for sale and the author wants to terminate this contract prematurely, all penalties shall apply. Additionally, the author will guarantee the work will not be published anywhere, in any form for one year from the dates rights to the work are returned to the author.

The Publisher is not liable for physical copies purchased for resale by bookstores. Upon receipt of a written termination request letter and the fees from the Author, the Publisher has thirty (30) days in which to remove the title from distribution and disable the ISBN numbers associated with this title. Rights to the work return to the author at the end of that thirty (30) day period.

Copyright
The Author is responsible for registering the copyright if they so choose. The Author shall hold harmless and indemnify the Publisher from any recovery finally sustained by reason of any violations of copyright. The Publisher will place a copyright notice on all versions of the work.

Infringement
During the terms of this agreement and any renewal terms thereafter, should the copyright on the work be infringed upon, the
Page 3 of 3

Publisher may, at its own expense, take legal action in the Author’s name as may be required to restrain such infringement or seek damages. The Author hereby agrees to provide the Publisher with reasonable assistance in the prosecution of any such
action. The Publisher is not liable for any expense incurred by the Author. If the Publisher chooses not to take legal action, the Author may do so at their own expense. In the event of money damages recovered for an infringement, legal fees, and
court costs shall be deducted and any remaining monies be equally divided between the Author and the Publisher.

Contract Price
The Publisher shall pay the Author royalties of 40% net sales on electronic and digital books sold; 25% of net sales for audio and printed editions of the work, paid quarterly beginning from the date of release. All payments will be transacted through PayPal unless prior arrangements are made.

U.S. authors only: The publisher will issue a 1099 MISC statement of royalty earnings. Payment of taxes on royalties is the
sole responsibility of the Author. U.S. residents must fill out a form W-9. These forms must be returned with the signed copies of this contract. No royalties will be paid out until the forms are signed and on file with Eternal Press.

Promotion
The Author and Publisher mutually agree to promote and market this work to the best of their abilities. The Author is expected to take an active role in promotion of this work and agrees to provide a link from their website to the Publisher’s website. The author is responsible for their own promotional materials.

The Publisher agrees to submit the work for review at no less than five reviewers. The Author is encouraged to submit copies for review on their own. No royalties will be paid on review copies. The Publisher will provide the Author with coupon codes for obtaining electronic review copies or a pdf for review use only. Eternal Press will not provide print copies for review or for competition entries. The Author may use their own purchased author copies for reviews or contest entries if they so choose.

Bankruptcy or Insolvency
Should Damnation Books, LLC /Eternal Press be legally declared bankrupt or liquidate the business, this contract shall be automatically terminated and all rights returned to the Author.

This contract shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns of the Author and upon and to the successors and assigns of the Publisher.

Signed this ______ day of ________, 20____ Signed this ______ day of ________, 20____

__________________________________ ____________________________________
Kim Richards Gilchrist, CEO Author
[email protected] Pseudonym:___________________________
Damnation Books, LLC/Eternal Press Address: _____________________________
P.O. Box 3931 City, State, Zip Code__________________________
Santa Rosa, CA 95402-9998 Paypal address:_________________________ Telephone number:______________________
Social Security #: _______________________
(US only; for tax purposes)

luvreading

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone here think a ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR KILL FEE, is a wee bit steep? :)

J.Henry

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone here think a ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR KILL FEE, is a wee bit steep? :)

Ha ha, yes you can quote me on it. And to think some of the EP authors were complaining about being hit with a two hundred dollar pay off.

Clementine B

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Kim has at least trimmed this contract down from 9 pages in the original contract with EP Australia, to just 3. I guess her chief interest is in getting that kill fee clause in there. And yowee, she sure goes right for the jugular, don't she? (ROFL)

We still need to see a contract from EP's Canadian days.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This entire problem would be solved if EP merely started paying thousand-dollar advances.

Then, if the author backed out, EP could demand the return of the advance. No one would say a word if that were the case.

And EP would be motivated to sell the book to readers then, too.

If they can't afford a measly thousand dollar advance, they probably can't afford to be in business in the first place.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I missing it, or does the contract lack a date/time period by which the publisher must publish the book?

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't sign a contract like that in a million years, and I'm surprised that anyone else would. There's absolutely nothing in it for the author. Locked in for FIVE YEARS, and if you want out sooner, a $1,000 termination fee. Ouch! And remember, the EP titles, according to the authors who have participated on this thread, sell in the single digits, only. One author said his title with EP sold only 2 ebooks in two years. One per year. Has anyone here ever heard of sales quite this low anywhere else?

Clementine B

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't sign a contract like that in a million years, and I'm surprised that anyone else would. There's absolutely nothing in it for the author. Locked in for FIVE YEARS, and if you want out sooner, a $1,000 termination fee. Ouch! And remember, the EP titles, according to the authors who have participated on this thread, sell in the single digits, only. One author said his title with EP sold only 2 ebooks in two years. One per year. Has anyone here ever heard of sales quite this low anywhere else?

No.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
If you want to move up to bigger epublishers and get the kind of money that's available at places like Ellora Cave, you have to trade the personalized experience.

I just picked up my mail, and in it was a birthday card from Samhain. :)

So once again, I'm not sure what's this personalized experience I lost by signing up with Samhain rather than with Eternal Press.

J.Henry

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'd never heard of this publisher until I stumbled upon this thread. Yet they've been in business for years. Of course, I hadn't heard of PA either. Let's hope this warns writers away from signing up with them, and helps those currently caught in to get out. I doubt if an outfit like this has the cash on hand to sue for breach of contract anyway. And certainly not when it involves a whole stable of unhappy authors. The bad reputation they now have would be an added handicap in any court of law. Courts don't look kindly on chisellers.

Clementine B

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

So once again, I'm not sure what's this personalized experience I lost by signing up with Samhain rather than with Eternal Press.

Ally sending you a royalty cheque -- the first one in two years -- for the princely sum of $2.89. And Kim sending you an email telling you if you want out of your contract, she better see a one thousand dollar cheque in the mail. What 's not to like about that? It's real friendly and cosy.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score

This is really nice and all but in terms of publishing a book...

Who fucking cares?

Samhain sells books, that's the important thing.

"Personal experience" and all this happy happy bullshit I hear about some publishers covers the fact that a lot of them can't sell books.

Birthday cards don't matter. Experience, industry knowledge, the ability to manage and make profitable a business, and ultimately, the ability to sell books is all that matters when it comes to a publisher.

Last edited:

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
"Personal experience" and all this happy happy bullshit I hear about some publishers covers the fact that a lot of them can't sell books.

Eternal Press certainly can't sell books, unless one copy per year counts. And they sure don't sound like a happy publisher to me. That one thousand buck cop out fee is a killer. No smilies there.

pagerette

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Kim where are you? We know you're reading this. EP has been well and truly trashed. It's reputation shot, yet you're not coming in to defend yourself? How very odd. Too busy sending out more killer fee demand notices, perhaps?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Who fucking cares?

Samhain sells books, that's the important thing.

Oh, I absolutely agree.

But I wanted to address what I see as the false dichotomy of "you can have a big publisher and be treated impersonally or you can have something like Eternal Press and a warm fuzzy experience."

Personal experience is the last thing I go by when selecting publishers to whom I'll submit my books. I've been reading the PA threads for years. I know how easy it is to go from an emotional high where you're a member of the publisher's family to being treated like dirt. Before I submitted my ms to Samhain I read through the entire thread on them here, read whatever I could find on Google and checked out veinglory's stats on sales and royalties.

I agree that a personalized experience isn't necessary. But if someone reading this thread does care about having such an experience, then at least I've provided them with an example.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Eternal Press certainly can't sell books, unless one copy per year counts. And they sure don't sound like a happy publisher to me. That one thousand buck cop out fee is a killer. No smilies there.
Eternal isn't the only publisher who can't sell books.

Ravenwing

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Eternal isn't the only publisher who can't sell books.

Agreed. But when you combine that ineptitude with the ugliness of killer fees...ugh! Eternal is basically just a couple of authors pretending to be a publisher. They don't have a clue.

luvreading

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This is Kim's response to the bonafide concerns expressed here. We're full of hot air and talking to the walls. I find her attitude both contemptuous and insulting.

"I do suggest our supporters let this thread die. The complainers are recycling their own comments now so they'll be out of hot air soon. It's time to leave them behind to talk to the walls."

Aw bad luck, Kim, seems that "hot air" just keeps on a coming. And they're still yammering away to the walls. Karma's a bitch, ain't it? Enjoy it. You've earned it. So has Ally.

Last edited:

Alysha

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alyshaellis.com
There appear to be two separate lines of argument here. I do not wish to enter into the discussion on contracts: I am not a lawyer, but as regards sales, I have sold 300 copies of my novella in a 12 month period with Eternal and over 100 in the following year. This is fact and I have the documentary evidence to prove it.
I repeat, I am not entering into the contract debate, but just throwing in a statistic about sales.

luvreading

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
There appear to be two separate lines of argument here. I do not wish to enter into the discussion on contracts: I am not a lawyer, but as regards sales, I have sold 300 copies of my novella in a 12 month period with Eternal and over 100 in the following year. This is fact and I have the documentary evidence to prove it.
I repeat, I am not entering into the contract debate, but just throwing in a statistic about sales.

Hmmm...this is quite a stretch from what the other EP authors on here have reported. I used to be with EP, and my book sold in the single digits only. Now that it's with another publisher it's selling 600 copies a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.