Status
Not open for further replies.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I'm planning on registering a domain name and I was wondering if there are any scams I should watch out for, or domain sellers who should be avoided. Or are they all created pretty much equal?

Deleted member 42

there are lots of threads about this topic in Blogging.

But.

Godaddy is popular.

Do Not Use Network Solutions.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
there are lots of threads about this topic in Blogging.

But.

Godaddy is popular.

Do Not Use Network Solutions.
Figures. It didn't occur to me to search Blogging for this. I searched here and found very little. I'll check in Blogging to find out why Network Solutions is evil.

Thanks for the info, Medievalist.

Deleted member 42

Figures. It didn't occur to me to search Blogging for this. I searched here and found very little. I'll check in Blogging to find out why Network Solutions is evil.

Thanks for the info, Medievalist.

They tend to refuse to "release" a domain when the owner/registrant wants to move it. They also have had a history of allowing domains to be hijacked, and not responding appropriately. It think, since they were the first registrant, it went to their heads a little, or maybe they grew too fast.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Don't use GoDaddy either.

(Verio is the company listed on WhoIs; I'd try them)

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Three strikes and I'm out. Are there any GOOD ones out there?

I'm writing on deadline, or I'd go find the "other" thread on this . . .

But.

Godaddy and register.com are probably the two most widely recommended.

I'm using a tiny registrar

http://www.just15buckdomains.com/

They've been thoughtful, prompt and courteous. They're a lot larger now though, than when I began using them.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Thanks, Medievalist. I've read several threads, but they're mostly talking about hosting, with only the occasional offhand remark about registration. This gives me some good starting points.

Thanks, Cyia. I'm checking your link out.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Yup! I use Blue Host, and I highly recommend them. Haven't had a speck of downtime, getting registered and set up was a snap, and they have excellent and responsive tech support.
I'll check them out, but right now, I just want to register. I'm leery of registering through a hosting company. Heard too many horror stories of the company holding on to the registration when the client wants to move elsewhere.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I used GoDaddy. I have one HUGE word of warning -- when you are there, don't do a search to see if the domain name you want is open. Don't do it! Unless you are prepared to get it right then and there! Because if you search and then don't get it immediately it won't be available. Some pig who won't even use it will have claimed it already.

Deleted member 42

I'll check them out, but right now, I just want to register. I'm leery of registering through a hosting company. Heard too many horror stories of the company holding on to the registration when the client wants to move elsewhere.

Yep; you want to have the domain registration and the server host/ISP be two companies.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I used GoDaddy. I have one HUGE word of warning -- when you are there, don't do a search to see if the domain name you want is open. Don't do it! Unless you are prepared to get it right then and there! Because if you search and then don't get it immediately it won't be available. Some pig who won't even use it will have claimed it already.
You know, I had a feeling about that. I haven't done a search on any registration site. To find out if a domain is available, you just have to type it into the URL bar of your browser. Judg.com was taken years and years ago, although it's being held by a company that wants to rent it out. Good thing I didn't really want it.

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
Godaddy and register.com are probably the two most widely recommended.

I'm using a tiny registrar

http://www.just15buckdomains.com/

They've been thoughtful, prompt and courteous. They're a lot larger now though, than when I began using them.

I find $15 to be rather high-50% more than I pay now. Since I have about nine domains, it adds up.

Register.com has a high price for renewals ($35)...avoid.

Network Solutions is well-known for abusing the domain search and registering domains once a customer has searched for it.

GoDaddy is cheap in every sense of the word. I have used them (for one domain), and found their interface atrocious, and their use of e-mail borderline spam. Also, most of the minor registrars you will find are actually Go-Daddy resellers (you can tell by the low price).

I researched domain registrars for about a month last year, and chose Namecheap.com.

I have found no reason to regret the decision. In fact, I searched high and low for a better registrar and there is none by my criteria (price, reliability, support and spam-free).

Price is under $9.00 using coupon codes (Google "Namecheap coupons" + monthyear) and includes free whois guard privacy.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I just DID that, because I don't really want THIS domain, but:
SOMEPIGSTOLEMYDOMAIN.COM is available!
:D

Deleted member 42

You know, I had a feeling about that. I haven't done a search on any registration site. To find out if a domain is available, you just have to type it into the URL bar of your browser.

Well, no, not really. You can own a domain and use it just for email, for instance, and not have a Website associated with it. Such a domain won't show up as a URL but checking via whois will show it.

N.B. whois is an old command for a service that is now used to track registrations, and does not refer to the domain name. The domain name was chosen because it's likely to be high traffic.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
So whois.com is not related to the whois registry search service? Good to know.

The more I look at this, the more complicated it gets... And apparently privacy protection services can be used to scam you.

susangpyp

Registered
Reaction score
I use two hosting companies OneWebHosting and LunarPages and I came to the conclusion that both are good but OneWeb charges me by the month and Lunar by the year. I did switch from websites (traditional html) to Wordpress driven software because I have a WordPress.com blog and know the software well. Although my sites look like websites, they are actually blogs using only the page feature of the blogging software. The management console on wordpress (.org and .com) is the best I've found and so much easier than dealing with websites and ftp'ing etc.

I was originally just looking for domain registration but by going to a hosting company (two reputable ones) I was able to design a "website" using blogging software and both have the wordpress database software available to their users.

My "website" at http://www.GettingPastYourBreakup.com is actually a Wordpress blog with a custom "lead" page and very very very easy to maintain. Both companies have been really good to work with and I've been with OneWeb for over 4 years and Lunar for over 2 and my domains have been safe and easy to maintain.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Three strikes and I'm out. Are there any GOOD ones out there?

I used my hosting company, siteground.com to register the domain I wanted.

Absolutely NO problems with them, and they host inexpensively with all kinds of nifty toys like blogs, storefronts, databases, forums, and good security.

Status
Not open for further replies.